Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Street Food

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Y'know how sometimes people say 'it's so hot you could fry an egg on the payment'? It's based on that principle. The kitchens use a concrete paving slab and heat it up and use that to cook food. It's a similar principle to pizza stones.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Y'know how sometimes people say 'it's so hot you could fry an egg on the payment'? It's based on that principle. The kitchens use a concrete paving slab and heat it up and use that to cook food. It's a similar principle to pizza stones.

Saved me from typing it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

:ohmy: :lolol:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

:ohmy: :lolol:

double post, lap top playing up

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Keep seeing Street Food signs all over the place
Vietnamese
N African
S American

What's it all about? Road Kill and Bin Bandits comes to mind

As far as I can make out, if you are hip and down with the kids, you don't go to restaurants or cafés anymore. It's all street food.

You know, like when someone thought it would be a good idea to stop serving food on plates a few years ago :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Broadly speaking it is when vendors prepare, cook and/or sell food from sites located outside as opposed to in a traditional building. The food is consumed outside as well. Think stalls, markets, food trucks, shacks, containers etc and can, in theory, be anything but the limitations of cooking from stalls and trucks impose certain types of food. But, as with many good ideas, they get commodified and sold on to the masses; consequently you can now get “street food” in chain restaurants and even at the AMEX.

This is my definition though. Like the definition of craft beer no doubt others have a slightly different take.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The street diner on Fridays at Brighthelm Centre in Queens Road is awesome. Burritos, Jerk chicken, Paella etc...

It is. It really is.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
In a lot of countries food can be bought cooked at the roadside from a stall. Its fast cheap food and very tasty.

In the UK its fast cheap food sold at restaurant prices. I love the street market at the Brighthelm Centre but you can get a sit down meal in a restaurant for less.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Selling stuff which you might buy in a far off land if you were skint, unaware of the ingredients and caveat the tom-tits....only difference is in Brighton it won't be as cheap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A visit to Borough Market is a good start, and the one in Brighton by Brighthelm is good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here