Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Growing Lemongrass.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Trying to grow Lemongrass, this year on the allotment.
It's started to come through, so here's hoping.
I'd be interested to know if any of you green fingered geeks ever tried, with success or failure?
Thanks in advance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Easy peasy. Started in greenhouse then put out. Only done one year as we don't use it enough.

Have a red strawberry today.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'd be interested to know if any of you green fingered geeks ever tried, with success or failure?
Thanks in advance.
:bowdown: Gentrification finally arrives in Britain’s Allotments! I hope not at the expense of your rhubarb patch?!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks in advance.

I grew it a few years ago but in pots, had a couple of plants and they grew quite well first year but both died overwintering in the outhouse. Never bothered again as its not pretty to look at and pretty slow growing and on top of that its only about 75p for 3 huge stalks at my local Chinese food shop.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Easy peasy. Started in greenhouse then put out. Only done one year as we don't use it enough

I grew it a few years ago but in pots, had a couple of plants and they grew quite well first year but both died overwintering in the outhouse. Never bothered again as its not pretty to look at and pretty slow growing and on top of that its only about 75 for 3 huge stalks at my local Chinese food shop.

Cheers.
Will wait and see of the outcome.
Always up or a challenge, after successful with Sweet potatoes last year.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cheers.
Will wait and see of the outcome.
Always up or a challenge, after successful with Sweet potatoes last year.

Inspired by seeing Rick Stein's tour of Mexico I'm growing some different chillies to my normal list and hoping to smoke and dry them for all those exotic Mexican dishes... also growing Tomatillo's for the first time, a member of the Cape Gooseberry family which is essential in certain salsas. How did you do with the sweet potato's ? was it a good yield and do they store well ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How did you do with the sweet potato's ? was it a good yield and do they store well ?
IMG-20160929-WA0000.jpeg
Grew them in a raised bed inside a poly tunnel, lots of green vines grew, producing what I can best describe as hobbit fingers, smaller than the shop effort.
Stored them in normal pot sacks, lasted about 2 months in a very dry shed.

Well done. I failed with sweet potatoes and so did neighbour.

It's pot luck really(no pun intended) :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
View attachment 97225
Grew them in a raised bed inside a poly tunnel, lots of green vines grew, producing what I can best describe as hobbit fingers, smaller than the shop effort.
Stored them in normal pot sacks, lasted about 2 months in a very dry shed.

It's pot luck really(no pun intended) :)

Well done for getting some... trouble is, you can get a bag with twice that amount in Morrissons for £1.25 ! .... I have heard they take up a lot of space too so prob not for me.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well done for getting some... trouble is, you can get a bag with twice that amount in Morrissons for £1.25 ! .... I have heard they take up a lot of space too so prob not for me.

A lot of space needed, but they kept breeding :l

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Inspired by seeing Rick Stein's tour of Mexico I'm growing some different chillies to my normal list and hoping to smoke and dry them for all those exotic Mexican dishes... also growing Tomatillo's for the first time, a member of the Cape Gooseberry family which is essential in certain salsas. How did you do with the sweet potato's ? was it a good yield and do they store well ?
I grew tomatillos and aubergines in the garden last year. Both cropped really well - so much so that I still have some chilli verde in the freezer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I grew tomatillos and aubergines in the garden last year. Both cropped really well - so much so that I still have some chilli verde in the freezer.

Marvellous ! Try Jalapeno's too, they are pretty easy to grow and I pickle them for the winter. Not too hot but warm enough to give a kick.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've been trying to grow lot of different veg and to date NOTHING has germinated.

What is the compost doing wrong?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Sprawled everywhere in the garden at work when we grew sweet potatoes. Got a good crop though.

Grew tomatillos in one of the polytunnels one year as well :thumbsup:

If you want something exotic. Try Yacon in big tubs outside. Really nice texture to it, a bit like water chestnut. Has very healthy sugars in it too apparently.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

I grew tomatillos last year and made them into a spicy chutney, very nice too. growing them again this year!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I grew tomatillos last year and made them into a spicy chutney, very nice too. growing them again this year!

How easy were the Tomatillo's ? did they need any support ?... I know you need two plants or they don't pollinate so growing them in pairs up the plot.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
How easy were the Tomatillo's ? did they need any support ?... I know you need two plants or they don't pollinate so growing them in pairs up the plot.

I treated them like tomatoes but they branched out like crazy to form a large bushy plant. So they needed a lot of support and plenty of room.

I grew one of them each side of my greenhouse door and had to hack bits off so I could get in.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I treated them like tomatoes but they branched out like crazy to form a large bushy plant. So they needed a lot of support and plenty of room.

I grew one of them each side of my greenhouse door and had to hack bits off so I could get in.

Brilliant, thanks for that !.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here