Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crikey, l didn't realise there were any pubs at all in Eaast Preston, shows you how little l know!

The Tudor Tavern, The SeavieW, and The Clockhouse are all a stones throw from each other, and the beach!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Add to those: The Half Brick, The Littentree, The Waterfront/Inn On The Prom, The Montague, The Globe, The Dolphin, The Clifton, Jolly Brewers, Rivoli, Flappers, Town's Pride, Timothy Shelley, Frog Pond, Maple Leaf, Portland Tavern, Yates, Wigmore Arms, The Wheatsheaf in the 20-odd years I've been drinking

Bloody hell: now I'm really depressed!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Seven of the Arundel pubs I went to on my 18th birthday pub crawl have gone.

But my dad told a similar story about the pubs that closed since his early drinking days.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Spread Eagle , Albion Hill , Brighton. Used to be handy for cheap electrical goods and Bolivian marching powder.

And the spreadmobile the transit van for ferrying regulars up the hill. Mad old proper Brighton pub of which there are far too few nowadays- all pulled pork burgers on slate places run by vacuous trendies utterly devoid of charm where they used to be places full of local loons

Jul 7, 2003
Just found out the Beechwood has closed down too, as was just about to head down there, been dying a death for many years now, but a shame as the building and gardens has such potential

Drove past the other week and Mrs DCH commented that she didn't realise it was still going as nobody ever mentioned it these days. Never really thought of it as a pub though. It always used to be a popular venue for events and parties. Remember back in the late 80's early 90's my Sunday side had an end of season do there and after a short while it emerged that there seemed to be some 'flexible' pricing taking place. A couple of our more scary players invited the barman for a little chat and needless to say, rounds became somewhat cheaper for the rest of the evening.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
When it was the Stewards Enquiry, it was owned (or run) by the identical twin brother of a chap (Peter something) who owned the Chalk Pit Inn at Lewes... which is another one that is now closed as a pub albeit is still open as a curry house...

Plummer? In the early 80s I worked in Cooksbridge with the son of the Chalk Pit landlord; aged 18, at lunchtime he used to down a pint straight, then 'sip' another in two gulps before savouring his third. Then we all went back to work in the timber yard next door - he was a wood machinist. That pub (was it the Grapes?) in Cooksbridge is no more, either, now I come to think of it.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I knew the Haywagon had gone but not the Half Moon?

Isn’t it owned by the Del la Warrs? Back when I used to drink there it was run by one of the family, Lady Arabella.

She ran an interesting boozer in her own ‘unique’ way. :)
Half Moon became The Deerstalker. Shame it's closed, as with The Ship, just not enough people live close enough. Halfway House only a mile from there seems busy enough though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Plummer? In the early 80s I worked in Cooksbridge with the son of the Chalk Pit landlord; aged 18, at lunchtime he used to down a pint straight, then 'sip' another in two gulps before savouring his third. Then we all went back to work in the timber yard next door - he was a wood machinist. That pub (was it the Grapes?) in Cooksbridge is no more, either, now I come to think of it.

The Pump House from memory.. at a guess that must have closed 15 years ago? Used to do nice food in there once upon a time.

It wasn’t Plummer. This would have been early 90’s, I was working at the Chalk Pit and on a Saturday match day I always had to leave the Goldstone bang on full time and run for the train so that I could make my shift on time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Half Moon became The Deerstalker. Shame it's closed, as with The Ship, just not enough people live close enough. Halfway House only a mile from there seems busy enough though.

which reminds of one problem with the Stewards Enquiry - i was a bit shite. i can only recal one person going there, that was because they'd been barred from about every other pub from Uckfield and surround parishes.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In My lifetime the following disappeared from Shoreham by Sea :
Kingston Inn, Surrey Arms, Morning Star, Burrell Arms, Green Jackets, Kings Head, Hebe, Arundel Arms plus the Schooner converted from a proper pub to a wine bar.

I seem to remember about 4 lost pubs along the A259 in Portslade.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The rainbow Inn on the Chailey Road

Used to be the best pub for food and drink many years ago.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Mill House in Portslade was where I had my first pub pint (Watney's Special, 17 p). Scheduled for demolition since 2013. It was a shit hole, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here