Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I broadly agree with the rest of your post but not with all of this bit. As per my post last night we COULD play 3 at the back in SOME games, if we wanted to. If Moore signed, and with Balogun already here and playing well in that system for Nigeria and having Schelotto here too it makes it more, rather than less, likely. The one player it doesn’t suit is Duffy - who’s just had an op.

Have we got enough wing backs. Not sure it suits Bruno, Knockaeart, March, Suttner , Jose etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have we got enough wing backs. Not sure it suits Bruno, Knockaeart, March, Suttner , Jose etc

I think there are three that could do it - Schelotto, Bong and March. That’s probably it. So, as I said, not week in, week out (you also have to drop 2 good wingers) but perhaps more than last season’s once. IMHO like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think there are three that could do it - Schelotto, Bong and March. That’s probably it. So, as I said, not week in, week out (you also have to drop 2 good wingers) but perhaps more than last season’s once. IMHO like.

IMHO we won't go with 3 CB's... tested... test failed...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I don't disagree, the one person who l think might though, is the overly cautious Chris. A very conservative 4-4-2 has been by far his preferred formation up until now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
IMHO we won't go with 3 CB's... tested... test failed...

One test. We lost 4-0 so I agree, in that respect it was a failure. We also played some very nice football, were denied a clear penalty that could have got us back in to it and didn't have the players we (might) have next season. Just assuming this signing happens (and it may well not) we could play

Ryan: Moore, Dunk, Balogan;Schelotto, Gross, Propper, Stephens, Bong; Murray Andone

Which looks a fair bit different. However....

I don't disagree, the one person who l think might though, is the overly cautious Chris. A very conservative 4-4-2 has been by far his preferred formation up until now.

Of course you're right. I like Chris's "tried and trusted" approach too because, over a season, it has been proven to work. Where I am struggling is where Schelotto (neither an RB nor a midfielder for me) and Balogun who has been outstanding in the World Cup in a back three, fit in. Bruno won't play 38 games at RB, there is simply no way. Balogan as starting right back???

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The only genuine wing back we have are Schelotto and Suttner.
All the other options are make shift

Its why we will stick with 4-4-1-1 and rightly so.

I for one would NOT be happy to see a side without Knockaert or Izquerdo in, and playing 3 at the back rules them out

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
the overly cautious Chris. A very conservative 4-4-2.

Whats so conservative and cautious about playing 4-4-1-1 (last season) and 4-4-2 in the Champ ? Isn't 3-5-2 (which England used in 1990 and goes back as far as the mid 80s) now the conservative formation used by most clubs and widespread in this years World Cup and Euro 2016. Isn't Chris, by playing with 2 wingers and 2 strikers embracing the more open, risky, contrarian formation these days?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
All the talk of 3 at the back is nonsense - you only start changing the system if you have the right players and also the right number of players to suit that system and we don't. We have the squad and players suited to playing 4 at the back. After Gross, our two most effective, dangerous and creative players are out and out wingers in Jose and AK and they couldn't play in a 3 at the back side so there's no point in even considering it. We'd have to completely overhaul our squad to do that and we're clearly not going to do that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Whats so conservative and cautious about playing 4-4-1-1 (last season) and 4-4-2 in the Champ ? Isn't 3-5-2 (which England used in 1990 and goes back as far as the mid 80s) now the conservative formation used by most clubs and widespread in this years World Cup and Euro 2016. Isn't Chris, by playing with 2 wingers and 2 strikers embracing the more open, risky, contrarian formation these days?

1 striker and an ACM...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
All the talk of 3 at the back is nonsense - you only start changing the system if you have the right players and also the right number of players to suit that system and we don't. We have the squad and players suited to playing 4 at the back. After Gross, our two most effective, dangerous and creative players are out and out wingers in Jose and AK and they couldn't play in a 3 at the back side so there's no point in even considering it. We'd have to completely overhaul our squad to do that and we're clearly not going to do that.

This... with bells on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. 4-4-1-1. not sure whats conservative about it. compared to effectively 5 at the back.

4-4-2 is more attacking (obviously)... and was just pointing out the slight inaccuracy of your former assertion...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Apparently £8mill up front being talked about with ad ons. The guy must wanna leave now!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There seems to be a bit of momentum building with this, but Reading will have to stop fantasizing about £15million for this to actually happen.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The only genuine wing back we have are Schelotto and Suttner.
All the other options are make shift

Its why we will stick with 4-4-1-1 and rightly so.

I for one would NOT be happy to see a side without Knockaert or Izquerdo in, and playing 3 at the back rules them out

Why does it though? They're not exactly classic wingers are they. Neither goes to the byline to cross the ball in, both of them cut inside all the time to get into the corner of the box, neither has a great cross, both have a good shot. I think they'd love the freedom of a 3-5-2, in the Sterling and Lingard roles of the current England formation.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here