Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In terms of the literal housing shortage, I definitely agree about the latter but not the former.

Many overseas investors buy new apartments off plan in places such as London, Brighton and Manchester, then leave them completely empty. Also holiday homes in central London and the West Country.

But if I buy a BTL (I have none), that doesn’t remove a home from the UK’s housing stock.

It does if it’s student housing and only occupied for 20 odd weeks a year.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've been to Ikea in Croydon three times (the first time with the previous Mrs G): I've told Mrs G, never again. She goes up with a friend now and makes "a day of it". It's my idea of hell

AD75BFF9-9A3F-46C7-A6FF-593DBB14E75D.jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So 360 are sold to people for full whack and 240 get given to people on benefits. Wrong in every way. The people who work hard for low wages get nothing.

You make it sound like they're just being given the keys! And as someone else commented, people on low pay do get benefits.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The other side of the coin is that it is estimated there are 5.5m Brits living abroad!

Edit: That is of course worldwide, figure for EU is about 750k

thats a different coin. the issue highlighted is that there are about 2.5m more people here than estimated. thats a significant % the population previously unaccounted for.

theboybilly

With the Tory’s new “developers” charter, they’d get clearance in a matter of months.

With that plot sold by the roundabout and possible new housing where IKEA was going to go, that’s one vast estate joining Shoreham and lancing.
Grim.

Do you think though that they might have to alter plans like the junction at the traffic lights (Shoreham Airport)? Okay not a major thing but there will be a raft of other alterations that probably only got passed narrowly last time. I don't think anybody wants to see all that land go to housing without proper infrastructure. Or will it be yet another car-centric estate. It makes you want to weep it really does.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
My guess would be that those stats aren’t known. Not least because the 6m revelation is astonishing, it was estimated by ONS/academics that 3.7m was the figure (including 0.4m from the ROI).

But there’s a wealth of other information here for you.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-settlement-scheme-applications-brexit-b1876988.html.

Purely a guess based on personal experience, I reckon the vast majority of adult EU citizens here pre-lockdowns worked. So many hard working folk on farms, in shops, deliver drivers, NHS (I had a major op in 2019, the staff were an amazing united nations mix), also in the professions.

Thanks again, A

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
You make it sound like they're just being given the keys! And as someone else commented, people on low pay do get benefits.

Maybe so but the sponges who can't be arsed are above them in the queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here