Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Podcasts

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Just discovered how much more painless my daily commute can be with a good podcast on the go.

Fairly new to this game and to date have only been listening to the following:

The Magic Sponge (brilliant)
The Albion Roar
Albion Unlimited

Pretty much exhausted the above episodes now so looking for some new podcasts to subscribe to.

Any decent suggestions out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just discovered how much more painless my daily commute can be with a good podcast on the go.

Fairly new to this game and to date have only been listening to the following:

The Magic Sponge (brilliant)
The Albion Roar
Albion Unlimited

Pretty much exhausted the above episodes now so looking for some new podcasts to subscribe to.

Any decent suggestions out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might find one or 2 here :whistle: :-

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?203659-Podcasts-what-are-you-listening-to

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Totally football show is good. Hosted by James Richardson, prob the best in the business. On on Mondays and Thursdays (usually goes live about 5pm so would be ideal for Tues/Fri morning commute)

Guardian football weekly is also good, sometimes superb. Hosted by Max Rushden and features the quite stunning Barry Glendenning. Also on on Mondays and Thursdays.

Quickly Kevin - 90s football podcast. Some excellent episodes featuring candid interviews with the likes of Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier, Lee Dixon, Tony Dorigo and some readings of the Steve Bruce novels. Josh Widdicombe one of the hosts.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Football Ramble and its sister show On The Continent.

Look in the thread Stat Brother posted. Plenty of good recommendations.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally football show is good. Hosted by James Richardson, prob the best in the business. On on Mondays and Thursdays (usually goes live about 5pm so would be ideal for Tues/Fri morning commute)

Guardian football weekly is also good, sometimes superb. Hosted by Max Rushden and features the quite stunning Barry Glendenning. Also on on Mondays and Thursdays.

Quickly Kevin - 90s football podcast. Some excellent episodes featuring candid interviews with the likes of Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier, Lee Dixon, Tony Dorigo and some readings of the Steve Bruce novels. Josh Widdicombe one of the hosts.

Bloody hell, you've just covered 2 of the 3 I was going to mention (I've not followed the James Richardson one, as the Guardian one with Max and Barry is just so bloody good).

If you enjoy Max and Barry Glendennings patter, then The Warmup on TalpSport is worth a download, goes out on Sundays.

Also, away from sport, Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio, with Alun Cochrane and Emily Dean is a joy. Consistently, effortlessly funny. Its been going on for donkeys years, I consider Frank a national treasure. Hugely entertaining.

Oh, and Flintoff, Sav and the Ping Pong Guy (Matthew Syed) is FANTASTIC. I didn't think I'd get along with Robbie Savage at all, but my opinion of him has done a full 180. A very genuine fella. Not too sharp, but very open an honest. And Flintoff rips the piss out of him, he's hilarious. That is a top, top pod.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Bloody hell, you've just covered 2 of the 3 I was going to mention (I've not followed the James Richardson one, as the Guardian one with Max and Barry is just so bloody good).

If you enjoy Max and Barry Glendennings patter, then The Warmup on TalpSport is worth a download, goes out on Sundays.

Also, away from sport, Frank Skinner on Absolute Radio, with Alun Cochrane and Emily Dean is a joy. Consistently, effortlessly funny. Its been going on for donkeys years, I consider Frank a national treasure. Hugely entertaining.

Oh, and Flintoff, Sav and the Ping Pong Guy (Matthew Syed) is FANTASTIC. I didn't think I'd get along with Robbie Savage at all, but my opinion of him has done a full 180. A very genuine fella. Not too sharp, but very open an honest. And Flintoff rips the piss out of him, he's hilarious. That is a top, top pod.

I'd say I just about prefer GFW to TFS, mainly due to Barry. TFS is an entertaining listen (mainly due to Jimbo but other good people like Michael Cox, James Horncastle) but is quite 'efficient' and structured which gives the impression they are slightly afraid to be tangential. The best pod of the season for me was GFW featuring (I think) Rushden, Glendenning, Wilson and Ronay (not the one when Glendenning and Ronay fell out!) and had about 20 minutes of them all just having a bit of a moan, putting the world to rights. Was utterly glorious.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I think you have EXACTLY the same subscribe list as me. I never thought Max Rushden was that good on Soccer AM but he is just brilliant. Also agree on your comments on Skinner and Savage too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd say I just about prefer GFW to TFS, mainly due to Barry. TFS is an entertaining listen (mainly due to Jimbo but other good people like Michael Cox, James Horncastle) but is quite 'efficient' and structured which gives the impression they are slightly afraid to be tangential. The best pod of the season for me was GFW featuring (I think) Rushden, Glendenning, Wilson and Ronay (not the one when Glendenning and Ronay fell out!) and had about 20 minutes of them all just having a bit of a moan, putting the world to rights. Was utterly glorious.

Glendenning vs Ronay and the "witches curse" was epic listening. Ronay and his utter Guardianest snobbery against Glendennings "I don't really give a shit" was marvellous listening. I must admit to having developed something of a man-crush for Barry, I could listen to him all day.

I think you have EXACTLY the same subscribe list as me. I never thought Max Rushden was that good on Soccer AM but he is just brilliant. Also agree on your comments on Skinner and Savage too.

I thought Max was a bit of a prick on Soccer AM, but I just can't help but like him on the pods. The abuse he gets on Twitter, and how he just bats it off is very, very funny. He's a bit crap, but he embraces it !

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
If you don't mind going back at bit, start at the beginning of The Tuesday Club podcast. Yes it's about Arsenal but really it's just mates chatting about football, two of which (Alan Davies and Ian Stone) happen to be professional comedians. For my money it's the best football podcast out there. Shame they don't do them on a regular basis anymore. Other than that I'd go for:
  • Football Weekly
  • Fighting Talk
  • Quickly Kevin
  • The Square Ball (This is a Leeds podcast but again, like TTC it's good football chat)
  • Elis James' Feast of Football

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Glendenning vs Ronay and the "witches curse" was epic listening. Ronay and his utter Guardianest snobbery against Glendennings "I don't really give a shit" was marvellous listening. I must admit to having developed something of a man-crush for Barry, I could listen to him all day.

I'm a long time fan of GFW too and continue to find Glendenning amusing. Since we were promoted though I've really come to realise how piss poor his analysis of any team outside the top 6 (+ Sunderland) really is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surprisingly low amount of love for COMFORTABLY the best football podcast - The Football Ramble. Analysis as good as Guardian, but far, far funnier with it.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Football wise - GFW, Football Ramble, Totally Football Show, Flintoff, Sav and the Ping Pong Guy is surprisingly good too (I want to dislike Savage in it but I cant). Used to listen to Albion Roar but not anymore - replaced by Albion Unlimited.

It's dark but The Caliphate podcast is incredible. ISIS/Terrorism based.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'm sure it's mentioned in the other podcast thread but if you are interested in the first world war
History check out Dan Carlin's hardcore history series blueprint for Armageddon it's over 20 hours in it's entirety but essential listening.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Couldn't stand the Magic Sponge. Found it far too LADS LADS MASSIVE BANTER WHEEEYYY LADS YEAH SO I JUST DID A SHIT IN HIS SHOE, WHEEEYYY PROPER BANTER!

Some current faves.

Football Ramble. 2 shows a week. Now world cup-mad. Brilliant. My top Football podcast.
Desert Island Discs - Classic
Ellis James and John Robbins on Radio X - My absolute fave. Highlights of their Saturday show. John is the most recenet winner of the Edinburgh comedy award.
Fighting Talk
Heavyweight - Presenter helps people try and sort issues from their past. ie Why was I bullied by that person at school? They then try and find answers and speak to those involved.
Quickly Kevin - As mentioned above. Brilliant
Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast. - Please just listen to the Brian Blessed episode. if it's all you.
The Bugle - Always fun with Trump around.
The Tuesday Club - Now only appears on rare occasions but also gems. Alan Davies Arsenal podcast. Sure, it's Arsenal but it's brilliant. The rants are great.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Some current faves.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast. - Please just listen to the Brian Blessed episode. if it's all you.

Yes this was superb, absolutely crackers but an hour of my life I wish I could repeat.

The James O'Brien Unfiltered podcast is good too. A good range of really engaging interviews.

Stephen Fry's new one was very interesting too - if a little heavy on the Hyundai sponsorship!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm a long time fan of GFW too and continue to find Glendenning amusing. Since we were promoted though I've really come to realise how piss poor his analysis of any team outside the top 6 (+ Sunderland) really is.

BG knows next to nothing about football. Wow that sentence works for two people.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Surprisingly low amount of love for COMFORTABLY the best football podcast - The Football Ramble. Analysis as good as Guardian, but far, far funnier with it.

Partly agree, The Ramble is grand and the OG, but On The Continent is a far superior listen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here