Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Loyalty !

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I see Gary Rowett has asked to speak to Stoke City re the vacant job .

i guess Birmingham City may well have seen something in him touting his services when they sacked him !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rowett 1/9 to get the job so almost a dead cert but I think Moyes would have been ideally suited to the Stoke job and that group of players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It amazes me when fans talk about loyalty, when discussing players and managers. The only loyal people in football are the fans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It amazes me when fans talk about loyalty, when discussing players and managers. The only loyal people in football are the fans.

100% true, but I'd perhaps add... nowadays.

Le Tissier is an example that immediately springs to mind. Probably would have had a load of England caps, and more money, had he gone to one of the 'big' clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
100% true, but I'd perhaps add... nowadays.

Le Tissier is an example that immediately springs to mind. Probably would have had a load of England caps, and more money, had he gone to one of the 'big' clubs.

He was just a lazy bloke who wasn't really up for a proper challenge, in my opinion.

el punal

Bang on! If you’re a professional footballer or manager it’s a career, or a job, the same as any other form of employment. If you’re good at whatever profession you’re in and you get head hunted by a prospective employer, with better prospects and more pay, no one would bat an eyelid. It would be seen as career progression. Use the same scenario in football and the knives are out, and accusations of greed and disloyalty are thrown in your face.

It, too, amazes me how blinkered some fans are to players wishing to move on to (in their view) a club which offers more opportunities.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was just a lazy bloke who wasn't really up for a proper challenge, in my opinion.

Big fish, small pond mentality? Perhaps. I don't know.

There were plenty of other examples though....Trevor Brooking next one that immediately comes to mind. Countless others who showed outstanding loyalty to one club if we thought about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big fish, small pond mentality? Perhaps. I don't know.

There were plenty of other examples though....Trevor Brooking next one that immediately comes to mind. Countless others who showed outstanding loyalty to one club if we thought about it.

I am a glass half empty sort of person when it comes to player loyalty. Even Denis Law took the blue moon shilling....and cried crocodile tears when the dirty reds were relegated. You would need to be a mug to not take a seriously better offer. Or frit. Vardy stayed put exactly because he feared the competition at Spuds in my opinion. Anyway....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Jimmy Armfield was an interesting one. Often perceived to be Mr.Blackpool, but he himself said he was ready to go to Busby's Babes but the Blackpool chairman wouldn't let him!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Don’t disagree but there are still some loyal servants behind the scenes, take Derek Allen our (recently retired) Secretary, Ken Barnard (kitman) and Sally Townsend as examples/exceptions. I’m sure there are more.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
There is no such thing as loyalty in football. Personally, I've supported 53 teams so far and I'm sure that most people on here are similar. Come on 'The Seagulls!'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Disappointing thread. Was hoping from the title it was another binfest about giving free STs to anyone who travelled to Gillingham or something similar.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I see Gary Rowett has asked to speak to Stoke City re the vacant job .

i guess Birmingham City may well have seen something in him touting his services when they sacked him !

or perhaps after Birmingham screwed him he thought sod it, got to look after number 1, because any club can sack you at a moments notice even when you're doing well

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don’t disagree but there are still some loyal servants behind the scenes, take Derek Allen our (recently retired) Secretary, Ken Barnard (kitman) and Sally Townsend as examples/exceptions. I’m sure there are more.

They are great and all worked very hard for the Albion, but none of those are players or managers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here