Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Volgograd is going to be high 20s I'd imagine so we'll inevitably wilt against Tunisia, before scraping a win against Panama, which will leave us needing something from the Belgium game.

Panama should not be underestimated. They really know how to channel their offense in a way that only leaves one path for the oppo to score.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I expect us to be out in the groups. The time difference from Russia to here is horrible for me.

Noon, Monday June 18 vs Tuni
6:00 a.m., Sunday June 24 vs Hat
Noon, Thursday June 28 vs Waffle

Not great but not horrible as are baseball broadcasts in the UK--1:00, 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seeing as Belgium, understandably given the quality of players available, are 3rd in the World rankings and we are 13th better hope we have enough points in the bag before we play them. Not sure I want to see Hazard and Lukaku feck over our national team and dump us out of the group having seen them to be too much for the Albion this season.

Do we have a chance of qualifying if we are second in our group? Not brushed up on this at all yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seeing as Belgium, understandably given the quality of players available, are 3rd in the World rankings and we are 13th better hope we have enough points in the bag before we play them. Not sure I want to see Hazard and Lukaku feck over our national team and dump us out of the group having seen them to be too much for the Albion this season.

Do we have a chance of qualifying if we are second in our group? Not brushed up on this at all yet.

Top 2 qualify from each group. We'll then play either Colombia, Poland, Senegal or Japan in the last 16.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Top 2 qualify from each group. We'll then play either Colombia, Poland, Senegal or Japan in the last 16.

Thanks for that. I am guessing that's who the second placed team will get to play. I like your optimism.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I love it, first WC was Mexico, 1970...... but my favourite was Argentina in 1978, what a final!
As I’m self employed I’ve deleted my availability for every game....

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Strafe, Strafe, Strafe, was ist die große Sache Lamie?

cyanide-and-happiness-explosm-comics-582ece4cc477c__700.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We may even sign a player before the WC who will be playing in it to give us an interest in a team other than Colombia and Australia! Am I going a bit OTT here?

There has NEVER been a better time to be an Albion fan and I say this as someone who was around in the Glory years of Mullery, Ward, Lawrenson, Robinson and Horton.

No. We now have a Nigerian player.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Not at the mo. Summer is a time for cricket, tennis and golf. At this moment I don't much care about the tournament, but when it comes around, no doubt I'll see some.

By this time of year a break from football is welcome and interest is restored come the new season, I shall recorded the hilights of England matches

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love it, first WC was Mexico, 1970...... but my favourite was Argentina in 1978, what a final!
As I’m self employed I’ve deleted my availability for every game....

My first was 74 but too small to take in alot of the football.

1990 was the best for me. From BBC's choice of Nessun Dorma, World In Motion, England had a team with bloody good footballers, the drama in plenty of games and balmy weather to match in Brighton.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That gloriously shambolic sweepstake organised by [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] was and still remains one of all-time favourite NSC moments :lolol:

Gah! I'll be disappointed with that effort of being left in sole charge of the Official NSC Grand National Sweepstake, and somehow failing to transfer one of the slips into my velvet bag for drawing-out purposes. The slip bearing the name of the subsequent winner. Entire sweepstake declared null and void. One job, I only had one job... :down:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Apologies if others (old gits) have made the same point but to those of a certain generation one of the great things about the World Cups of years gone by was not only seeing players and styles of football that were simply breath-taking (think the 1970s Brazil side to football-mad kids who might watch MoTD and see teams like Middlesbrough) but also things like free-kicks and set piece innovations - which were then copied in English football. It was a bit like a 3 week intensive tutorial on how the game could (should) be played.

You just saw things you just wouldn't see in domestic footie. (And the games were played in sunshine.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here