Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are you looking forward to the World Cup?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My interest is lukewarm, but like a moth to a flame I know I'll perk up if the tournament starts with some decent games and plenty of goals.

My head says England have no chance, I'll miss the Dutch the Italians and the Yanks not being there, and there simply isn't the same mystique about the likes of Brazil, Germany and Spain now so many of them play in the Prem or are wall-to-wall in the Champions League / La Liga on TV.

What I really want above all else is to see England take advantage of temperate conditions and play some fearless, high-tempo, British football - none of this timid, slow bollocks we've had to endure over the last decade.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
England is expected to crash and burn possibly at the group stage and it might just be Without the weight of expectation they just sneak under the radar and make it to the quarterfinals and from there well anything is possible that's my optimistic view in reality I don't think we are good enough and will struggle to get out of the group and if we do then that's as far as we go, hope I am proved wrong

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Yes. Love WC's.

My favourite was Italia90, which got off to a dramatic start with Cameroon beating Argentina. 1998 wasn't bad either, including the Bergkamp goal that dumped .... Argentina.

Yeah wish I hadn't shown my 7 year old that Bergkamp goal, as he loves doing the mental dutch commentary that goes with it, basically repeating his name over and over again.

Goes in high up on the list of non England goals celebrated. Others - Letchkov v Germany in 94 for Bulgaria, Suker for Croatia v Germany good examples.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I am because I just love watching football in the Summer and miss the gap between the end of one season and the beginning of the next which happens every year there isn’t a World Cup or the Euros. I have absolutely no expectations of England doing well and no longer get angry watching us as I used to.

Going to be great to have a small Albion interest in Colombia and Australia

Anyone taking a football break and giving it a miss?

Anyone looking forward to watching England play, of course we will all watch but are you actually expecting anything other than disappointment, sooner rather than later?

That is EXACTLY how I am feeling. I'm looking forward to it. Gone are the days of high expectations. I've not really given too much of a monkeys in a tournament since 2004. Looking forward to the football as a relative neutral to an extent, if England start doing well I'll be all over it, get the stickers and stuff and we'll be the best team since Italia 90

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think we are good enough and will struggle to get out of the group and if we do then that's as far as we go, hope I am proved wrong

Do you think we'd lose to Poland / Columbia / Japan / Senegal ?

I honestly think we'd beat any of those. Yes yes, I know the Iceland factor still lurks (and always will from now on), but I'd be confident of progressing past whoever we get in the 2nd round.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Question to those who are saying, they're not interested any more because England have been rubbish for years ........ did you say the same about Brighton when we were rubbish?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Am I looking forward to the World Cup? Are you mental?!!!! You've answered it yourself, it's the World Cup!

Yes, I hate, Blatter, Putin, football violence and racism as well ... and yes England probably won;t do that much, but it's a competition where all the best players from all the country get together to see who's got the best team? It means that 3 (or sometimes 4) games are on all day every day. Each of those games has massive context and the human drama which you see every time is unsurpassed in any sporting event

And the trophy has to be the single sexiest inanimate object created by man

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Looking forward to seeing Panama's beautifully named Ronaldo Blackburn who nutmegs defenders for fun and sometimes likes to go back and do it again to really rub it in . Not expecting too much from England but at least that clown Hart won't be there , if Pope starts and i hope he does , it will make some Roy of the Rovers type story to be told .

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I used to love the World Cup, but over the last few competitions I've found myself to be not that fussed about it. I just dont think it has that same WOW factor about it any more. As Pavilionaire says, maybe thats something to do with the amount of football that is on TV now compared to when we were younger, & didn't have access to so much of it through the course of the year?

I expect I will do the sweep-stake at work, but doubt I will watch many, if any, games this time around.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to love the World Cup, but over the last few competitions I've found myself to be not that fussed about it. I just dont think it has that same WOW factor about it any more. As Pavilionaire says, maybe thats something to do with the amount of football that is on TV now compared to when we were younger, & didn't have access to so much of it through the course of the year?

I expect I will do the sweep-stake at work, but doubt I will watch many, if any, games this time around.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Yep really looking forward to it.I shall be on holiday so scuba during the day and footy in the evening,Supporting England will be fun as the resort is mostly Russian.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Yep really looking forward to it.I shall be on holiday so scuba during the day and footy in the evening,Supporting England will be fun as the resort is mostly Russian.

Remember no drinking alcohol the night before scuba diving or during the day of a night dive. Personally, I can't imagine watching England without a beer, far too stressful.

I am looking forward to the WC though. I don't have Sky so it is a good chance to watch a load of football. Tend to watch the England matches in a pub though.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
YES! It will make the Summer , which is usually without football.
Mind you, I have less hope for England, seeing the inexperienced squad....
the competition could be quite lively given our political situation with Russia , their fans reputation and all. I would not go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Question to those who are saying, they're not interested any more because England have been rubbish for years ........ did you say the same about Brighton when we were rubbish?

Oh I’m interested but I’m over being pissed off when we play shit because I now expect to fail with a whimper, it used to be a glorious failure years ago. Is it wrong to EXPECT a national team with the number of players in England to be decent footballers who can take on the world? It would have been plain daft to expect Brighton to do anything but struggle when we were rubbish, as the club had been raped. Totally totally different supporting your local club and your national side imo and I can draw no parallels at all between supporting the Albion and supporting England. I will always really care how the Albion do, I really no longer care how England do but it would be good if they could give us a bit of excitement this time around.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Bloody love a World Cup and have zero expectations for England which could make it an even more enjoyable tournament as they could surprise us all!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
1990 best world cup. Being 10 that felt like the most magical time football has ever been for me.

I remember rushing home from the park to watch the opening game. I remember more about this world cup than all the other put together.

Although the world cup has lost it's shine for me for several reasons, corruption, England being crap, ungrateful primadonna footballers however i shall still be looking forward to this one... it's football after all.

I would have been about 13. The best World Cup in my lifetime (for England) by a country mile, from the opening thrashing of Argentina and Miller doing his wiggle by the corner flag

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If you get your son to watch Tunisia v Panama you’re denying him England v Belgium as they’re being played at the same time (unless you’re setting up a multi-screen system in your house to make sure you don’t miss anything, in which case I salute you).

I know this because I put my giant wall chart up this morning. Can’t wait for the World Cup.

i'm overly excited already! :D
where did you get your giant wallchart from? ta!:drool:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here