Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which Club Will Perform Badly Next Season?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're picking a Prem side that might struggle then look no further than Watford.

The key for me is that having reached 36 points by beating Everton and West Brom at home they took their foot of the gas and dropped steadily down the table over the last 9 games from 9th to 14th.

Indeed, they didn't manage to score an away goal in their final 8 matches. Richarlison looked a shadow of his former self, while Javi Gracia doesn't seem like a man set to inspire. Talisman Deeney is from the Midlands and you wonder whether a decent offer from Wolves or Villa if they come up might tempt him to move on.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The bookies have been way off the mark in the last few "Dyche" seasons when assessing Burnley's prospects....last season they had us down as 2nd favs to get relegated only for us to finish in 7th, in 2013/14 they also had us down as 3rd favs for relegation only for us to finish 2nd behind Leicester and, even in the 2015/16 championship-winning season when we outlasted Boro & yourselves, we were only 6th in the pre-season promotion betting.

But this coming season, I think the bookies will be much more accurate.

They have us down to finish 16th and, with our Euro commitments, I'd settle for this and safety. I agree with the bookies that Cardiff & Huddersfield will drop and, like the bookies, I think the Seagulls will just about have enough to finish above Watford and finish safe in 17th place.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The bookies have been way off the mark in the last few "Dyche" seasons when assessing Burnley's prospects....last season they had us down as 2nd favs to get relegated only for us to finish in 7th, in 2013/14 they also had us down as 3rd favs for relegation only for us to finish 2nd behind Leicester and, even in the 2015/16 championship-winning season when we outlasted Boro & yourselves, we were only 6th in the pre-season promotion betting.

But this coming season, I think the bookies will be much more accurate.

They have us down to finish 16th and, with our Euro commitments, I'd settle for this and safety. I agree with the bookies that Cardiff & Huddersfield will drop and, like the bookies, I think the Seagulls will just about have enough to finish above Watford and finish safe in 17th place.

Without Europa League, you'd be comfortable mid table IMO.

Europe will take it out on the players, with fully rested teams ready to out-work you in Sunday fixtures. That's the pain of the Europa League.

Perhaps your Board and Dyche will astutely buy several players this summer, to boost quality in every position?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
LOL! You lot finished 3 points ahead of us and our boys were nursing hangovers for our final game, squinting at "Arsene we'll miss you" messages flapping behind a plane circling overhead.

Always had a lot of respect for Brighton for what you've been through over the years but you're losing the plot.

Mid table team after 1 season in the top flight! Blimey!

We could argue that we were also hungover after the man u win.

Besides I don't think you should, on the basis of one fan's opinion, generalise like that. I'm pretty sure I could pop on DATM and find a few assured and blinkered predictions.

It's why I ****ing hate threads like this, generally fans want to be confident in their own club so you're not going to see many grounded posts here suggesting we'll be right in the mix, which we undoubtedly will be. The only purpose this thread serves is producing is a plethora of quotables should the worst happen.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We could argue that we were also hungover after the man u win.

Besides I don't think you should, on the basis of one fan's opinion, generalise like that. I'm pretty sure I could pop on DATM and find a few assured and blinkered predictions.

It's why I ****ing hate threads like this, generally fans want to be confident in their own club so you're not going to see many grounded posts here suggesting we'll be right in the mix, which we undoubtedly will be. The only purpose this thread serves is producing is a plethora of quotables should the worst happen.

This.

Brighton and Hudd will be in the mix. Only incredible skill/luck in this summer's transfer market, might given a different 2018/19 outcome.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
West Ham look like Basket case material so they are my fav, after that depends on injuries, form, signings etc.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Couple of canny signings and a whole summer of integration says Brighton mid table.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
LOL! You lot finished 3 points ahead of us and our boys were nursing hangovers for our final game, squinting at "Arsene we'll miss you" messages flapping behind a plane circling overhead.

Always had a lot of respect for Brighton for what you've been through over the years but you're losing the plot.

Mid table team after 1 season in the top flight! Blimey!

Can't say I disagree.

The biggest issue for say Brighton and Huddersfield is that the rest of the league now has 38 games to analyse over the summer, and look at how to deal with threats that may have been unknown through this season, but are very much known now. You have to evolve and ensure you strengthen in the right areas, it's no good just throwing the chequebook at it either, like Burnley it isn't necessarily big name PL experienced players, it is players that fit in with your ethos and have the right attitude. You look at the 3 relegated sides, and unlike some seasons when a side goes down because they simply haven't got the talent, these 3 went down on poor attitude and failing team spirits (Swansea perhaps to a lessor extent).

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Without Europa League, you'd be comfortable mid table IMO.

Europe will take it out on the players, with fully rested teams ready to out-work you in Sunday fixtures. That's the pain of the Europa League.

Perhaps your Board and Dyche will astutely buy several players this summer, to boost quality in every position?

Our recruitment team are NOT renowned for their speed and efficiency (eg: the multiple failed bids for Dale Stephens with 50 pence increments) so it would not surprise me completely if we get knocked out of Europe before we have signed anyone.:(

The only "firm" rumours seem to be Craig Dawson (WBA) and Joe Bryan (Bristol City). I'd love to land Dawson if only for his ability to score from corners. Mee & Tarkowski are no threat at corners and did not manage a goal between them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why Cardiff City's free transfers and loan signings will make or break their summer

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ws/cardiff-citys-free-transfers-loan-14691314

How much will Cardiff spend this summer? It’s the question that everyone is asking. Will they copy Brighton and Huddersfield, who both parted with sums in the region of around £50m last year, or follow Burnley’s lead and keep it closer to the £30m mark?

Only time will tell, although I suspect that Neil Warnock will not be looking to rock the boat too hard. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the side he fields in the opening game of next season is not significantly different to the team that faced Reading in the final game of last season.

This opening salvo from (quite probably) Welsh Timmy made me laugh, and counter my usual stance of 'everybody said we'd go down, so don't count your chickens'.

The thought of Cardiff playing at least half the season with a team not significantly different to the team that faced Reading, would have to mean palace wouldn't be bottom after 7 games due to the alphabet. :lol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I could see Newcastle struggling if Rafa walks, big day for them today I suspect. Watford look a bit wobbly Richarlison gone with no replacement, their manager seems flaky. Warnock will want to proove his doubters wrong but I don't see enough quality in that Cardiff team to survive. Have Southampton strengthened enough? I think they'll be down there too.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Wolves and Fulham will do less well than expected - no way all those new players can be integrated quickly enough. to go down? Cardiff, Watford, Newcastle

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
got a bad feeling we may perform badly against some unrealistic expectations.

Not seen evidence we've solved the goalscoring issue and we are into August.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
got a bad feeling we may perform badly against some unrealistic expectations.

Not seen evidence we've solved the goalscoring issue and we are into August.

Unfortunately the only way to conclusively solve the goalscoring issue is to sign a proven premier league striker with a track record of scoring at this level - and all of those are way beyond our means and have far better suitors. Our only option has been to take calculated gambles from the foreign leagues. You never know if an import is going to work, but if the club can replicate the work done last year then we should be ok.

On a side note Andone is an absolute goal machine on FIFA but we would be unwise to draw too many conclusions from that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here