Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We'd be mad to sell him. A loan with a massive fee.. maybe.

Why? Do we think we're going to go on a good cup run this year ?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
At the end of the day, however good, or otherwise, we determine Goldson to be, whether we think it is a good thing for him to be sold, or not, ultimately, for as long as l can remember anyway, the Albion have tried to do their best by a player.

In other words, if a player can't force his way into the team, or play enough games, isn't happy, and decides he wants to leave, the club, having tried to persuade him otherise, will normally let him have his way.

Goldson chat aside, that's an impressive number of commas in only two sentences! :mad:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I say that we must keep him, nurture him to becomig the player that we believe he can. A loan period maybe, for regular games . We had Jesse Lingard , look where he is now.

Or deliberately play him in games we think he can cope with. To lose him cheap and see him become a star for someone else would be tragic.
The loan period thing is a convenient hook to hang our coat, but there is a time when the player has to be considered. He is now 26 and it is fair for him to decide where his future lies if we are not going to make him a squad regular - shit or get off the pot, if you will.

Personally, I think the evidence suggests Hughton likes him but has some big question marks, evident ever since he bought Shane Duffy who is probably a more limited player but equally more reliable at the highest level. We probably won't get top dollar for him if the player would actually rather go to Scotland than the Championship. And let's face it, whilst Scotland is a crap league, he'd actually have a half chance of Champions league football if things worked out for him.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why? Do we think we're going to go on a good cup run this year ?

Not beyond the realms of possibility is it?

An injury or suspension to Dunk or Duffy and Goldson's probably got a start or a place on the bench at the very least. He's quality.

I could understand a loan move to give him game time, but he's a real talent and I hope he remains a Brighton player.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not beyond the realms of possibility is it?

An injury or suspension to Dunk or Duffy and Goldson's probably got a start or a place on the bench at the very least. He's quality.

I could understand a loan move to give him game time, but he's a real talent and I hope he remains a Brighton player.

If I’m Goldson though and not played regularly for a couple of years do you really want another season of waiting for an injury, especially as we’ve just signed another CB.

Likewise do we expect him to really challenge Duffy/Dunk ? Like others said he is beyond being a ‘prospect’ now

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If I’m Goldson though and not played regularly for a couple of years do you really want another season of waiting for an injury, especially as we’ve just signed another CB.
Sure, that's why I'd understand a loan move.

Likewise do we expect him to really challenge Duffy/Dunk ? Like others said he is beyond being a ‘prospect’ now
Absolutely yes. He could, and should be challenging them for a place in the first team. Duffy/Dunk have be outstanding this season, but if they dip in form and Goldson is performing in training I could see him getting the nod.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The loan period thing is a convenient hook to hang our coat, but there is a time when the player has to be considered. He is now 26 and it is fair for him to decide where his future lies if we are not going to make him a squad regular
Sure, but his future has to be better than monkey tennis.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
lol @ 'massive' fee. Sorry but we won't getone. He is an unproven player at the top level with a medical condition.

What condition is that then? I know he had one?

I'm glad Tony Bloom does our negotiating and not you. We shouldn't, and don't, sell excellent players on the cheap any more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know everyone loves him but he hasn’t really proved himself at this level and he was replaced at Championship level so no idea why some think he is worth much more than 3 million. I know he had the heart scare but I am 100% convinced that Duffy was bought to replace Goldson anyway, due to his not being great in the air against big strikers.

TB will squeeze the last penny out of whoever buys him though.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know everyone loves him but he hasn’t really proved himself at this level and he was replaced at Championship level so no idea why some think he is worth much more than 3 million. I know he had the heart scare but I am 100% convinced that Duffy was bought to replace Goldson anyway, due to his not being great in the air against big strikers.

TB will squeeze the last penny out of whoever buys him though.

And find a better replacement

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know everyone loves him but he hasn’t really proved himself at this level and he was replaced at Championship level so no idea why some think he is worth much more than 3 million.
Because when I've seen him play I thought he was good. Most of us (not all) thought the same about Dunk, even though he wasn't proven at Championship level (mistakes like getting sent off away to Palace). And when Dunk still wasn't doing that great at Championship level, we turned down £5m for him. Dunk has proved to be an excellent centre back, so Goldson couldn't get his place, and Duffy is a different style of centre back and Hughton decided he complimented Lewis better. I think Goldson is good enough for the PL. I'd prefer he went on loan to the Championship for 1 season.

Last edited:

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Because when I've seen him play I thought he was good. Most of us (not all) thought the same about Dunk, even though he wasn't proven at Championship level (mistakes like getting sent off away to Palace). And when Dunk still wasn't doing that great at Championship level, we turned down £5m for him. Dunk has proved to be an excellent centre forward, so Goldson couldn't get his place, and Duffy is a different style of centre forward and Hughton decided he complimented Lewis better. I think Goldson is good enough for the PL. I'd prefer he went on loan to the Championship for 1 season.

since when have Dunk and Duffy been centre forwards?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Because when I've seen him play I thought he was good. Most of us (not all) thought the same about Dunk, even though he wasn't proven at Championship level (mistakes like getting sent off away to Palace). And when Dunk still wasn't doing that great at Championship level, we turned down £5m for him. Dunk has proved to be an excellent centre back, so Goldson couldn't get his place, and Duffy is a different style of centre back and Hughton decided he complimented Lewis better. I think Goldson is good enough for the PL. I'd prefer he went on loan to the Championship for 1 season.

This all day long, loan to The Championship will be more beneficial to both us and Goldson’s career than selling him to Rangers for peanuts.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Selling Goldson seems to indicate to me that we are keeping Dunk. If Dunk was off I'm sure Goldson would get the chance to compete with Balogun and anyone else we bring in for that spot.

It also feels though that CH may well think that Goldson has what it takes to be a very good defender, but maybe just not quite good enough for the level we are at, or simply not the right kind of player for CH's system. Goldson's stock increases in our eyes all the time he's not playing for us, and has probably exceeded his true quality in all honesty.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here