Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Shane Duffy actually better than Conor Goldson !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
SD has seriously screwed up on a number of occasions this term !

Does anyone else have any worries if CG was to come in in his place - ie. taking the shirt ?

Waits flaming !

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'd be happy for CG to give him a run for his money. I like Duffy's no-nonsense headed clearances, but I'm not a fan of his personal character or his inability to direct a header downwards from any of our corners.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I knew there would be someone on here insinuating that our players aren't good enough as they were soundly beaten by a Champions League finalist.

Would you be asking the same question if we'd just lost 4-0 in the Bernabeu?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I knew there would be someone on here insinuating that our players aren't good enough as they were soundly beaten by a Champions League finalist.

Would you be asking the same question if we'd just lost 4-0 in the Bernabeu?

My OP was not at all specifically related to today's match but rather to the entire season !

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Better at some things, worse at others.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
SD has seriously screwed up on a number of occasions this term !

Does anyone else have any worries if CG was to come in in his place - ie. taking the shirt ?

Waits flaming !

Why should you be flamed?

We see the players during games and (here comes the cliche) the manager sees them in training. Goldson didn't let us down when he played during Duffy's yellow card suspension, but Duffy has the record for the most headed clearances.
Hughton's decision, and we have to trust him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Skalak didn't play at all, maybe he's the new Ronaldo.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Depends what you want. Championship I’d have Duffy all day long. Strong in the air and a no nonsense style to defending. Not a massive shocker went up 1st year he played CB.
The PL is a different kettle of fish. CG is defo better on the ball and blessed with more pace. Despite that I do recall MOTD earlier in the season saying how well dunk and Duffy do when it comes to hitting the cross pass diagonally. They both have very good attributes about them though. But you can’t chop and change you CB every week you need to build a partnership and the man who we should all trust has clearly though Duffy over CG this season. That is all I need to know. Next year maybe different. Who knows they may well line up as first choice pairing. I for one would love to see CG playing inthe PL I maybe alone but I think he has the potential to be the best CB we have

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I trust CH on this.

Everyone notices Duffy's errors and he'll be working hard to eradicate them in future. No one talks now about how the Ryan/Duffy/Dunk combo was immense in all those vital wins and draws.

I like and rate Goldson too. So we have 3 quality CB's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would think it must be pretty close between them - but the management team must think that Duffy is the best. Many of us thought that Goldson would take Gordon Greer's place, and were baffled when we went for Duffy for a (then) record fee rather than just a fourth choice CB - but that's what they did.
They probably know more than we do. I would have no worries if at some time we need to play Goldson at CB in the first team though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
No worries with him coming in at all but he's quite similar to Dunk. Could be very close and CG have higher potential but Duffy fit style wise for now. Agree with the origional poster though on quite a few things.

Duffy hasn't made enough mistakes to be dropped though.

All our CBs will top the stats as we are defensive and have more balls played at them so we'll lead the stats. That said they have been great this season and proud to have them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here