Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier league salary cap?

I_am_marmalade

Jun 6, 2014
Reading the thread about the top six leaving the premier league to start/join a European league a few of the comments were in favour due to it making our league more competitive which got me to thinking about ways to try and level the playing field and still keep the premier league as we know it together. The thought that stuck in my head was some sort of salary cap similar to the one they use in the NFL. Now I am no expert on the ins and outs of the working system of a football club or finances but I cannot see a reason why this wouldn't work, other than maybe objections from the big clubs being told to curb their spending? Any takers on the idea??

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
With the top 6 staying, it would make them completely uncompetitive in Europe, as all their decent players would move abroad to clubs with no cap.

Without them, the teams that consider themselves huge such as Everton and West Ham, would fight the idea, with the cap meaning they can't pay mega bucks to get top talent in.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If every single club in world football signed up to it - great. But they won’t. NFL and football are a world away.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This has been done to death already.

The NFL players effectively only Have The NFL to play in.
Impose a cap and the top players will leave the PL.

This is without getting into employment law.

Abosutely stupid idea

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the top 6 staying, it would make them completely uncompetitive in Europe, as all their decent players would move abroad to clubs with no cap..

A huge problem would be the amount of 'fiddles' going on with that amount of money involved, from brown envelopes to gratuities paid direct by sponsors to playees for wearing their shirts, socks, boots, etc.

The argument about being non-competitive in Europe might be the case short term, but the Bundeslega, the Italian, French and Spanish leagues would soon cotton on and realise they were being milked by greedy agents and players and would follow our lead - they don't actually want to pay vast amounts over the top any more than we do. Just at the moment everybody is too scared to be the one to first step off of the insane merry-go-round.
OK, so some top players might bugger off to China for a million a week. Sod 'em, let 'em go. We can still watch great football without them.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
There is a salary cap in cricket (although I think there is a special one just for Surrey with London weighting:wink:)

Didn't Durham fall foul of salary cap rules a couple of seasons ago resulting in being demoted and thus losing their star players?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here