Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clatterburg on timewasting

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting interview in the Times with Mark Clattenburg today, who had THIS to say on goalkeepers timewasting:

"Yellow cards aren't enough. If a goalkeeper time-wastes at a goal kick, then give a corner to the other team".

He also said: "If a player is taking too long to take a throw-in, reverse it".

Have to say, I rather like the cut of his jib. Discuss.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Completely agree. Yellow cards are generally completely meaningless for goalkeepers, they can even timewaste after being given one to a certain extent as long as they don't take the piss with the amount of time wasted.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you did that you’d have to make it very clear as to how long you were allowed at each stoppage before it became time wasting.

I quite like the whole time wasting pantomime. When opposition goalkeepers take a couple of extra seconds over a goal kick at the Amex when we’re losing, the crowd goes mad, baying for blood, furious at this outrageous injustice. As soon as we are winning our goalkeeper does exactly the same thing, and we will him to take as long as he possibly can.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting interview in the Times with Mark Clattenburg today, who had THIS to say on goalkeepers timewasting:

"Yellow cards aren't enough. If a goalkeeper time-wastes at a goal kick, then give a corner to the other team".

Something needs to be done re the above and even more so the time wasting that goes on during substitutions

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Massively yes re the goalkeeper issue. Watching Kasper Schmeicel bang his boots on the post from minute one deserved so much more attention than the red gave it.

Not sure on the throw in one as think over the course of a match it’s quid pro quo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have to say, I would absolutely LOVE to see the howls of outrage when a slovenly keeper takes the piss once too often, then hears the PEEEEEP and see's the ref point to the corner. That would be truly epic entertainment. Box office.

OK, the players going apeshit would probably take even more time up, but as long as the ref adds it on then no issue. And it might just hurry those tosspots along a bit if they KNOW they're running the risk of conceding a set piece. I fail to see the downside.

Get it in now. For the World Cup.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree about the time wasting but will it mean more keepers following Matt Ryans example and going to ground with every shot near the end of a game. He has perfected this move.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree about the time wasting but will it mean more keepers following Matt Ryans example and going to ground with every shot near the end of a game.

Every keeper does that anyway. Ryan is hardly a trailblazer in that regard.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If we adopt the same time keeping system as some other sports and stop the clock when the ball is not active then the problem goes away.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Great ideas. But open to subjective enforcement. Someone would need to time all these events, to make it equitably enforced.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here