Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Lettings advice

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Morning all

Just after a bit of advice regarding renting a 2/3 bedroom property in Brighton/Hassocks area.

My brother is having some major structural changes being done to his house in Hassocks that will start mid June for three months and he has to move out during this period.

He's contacted local property agents who say that the minimum contract is for six months. He doesn't want to pay rent on a property for three months if he's not going to be living there. I've told him that he might have to bite the bullet and do this if he cant find a three month let.

Has anybody got any suggestions

Cheers in advance

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Morning all

Just after a bit of advice regarding renting a 2/3 bedroom property in Brighton/Hassocks area.

My brother is having some major structural changes being done to his house in Hassocks that will start mid June for three months and he has to move out during this period.

He's contacted local property agents who say that the minimum contract is for six months. He doesn't want to pay rent on a property for three months if he's not going to be living there. I've told him that he might have to bite the bullet and do this if he cant find a three month let.

Cheers in advance

We're having work done, haven't moved out in the end, but there were options on AirBnB for shorter lettings.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have just what he is after. PM sent. You'll have to collect the commission from him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Seem to remember [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] picked up a short term let in between house moves a few years back. He might be able to tell you where he acquired that from if he reads this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Also check out Gumtree. Most places won't be available for just 3 months, but you only need 1.

How about a caravan :)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
June, July and August ? Get a tent and live in that. It will be an adventure.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Also check out Gumtree. Most places won't be available for just 3 months, but you only need 1.

How about a caravan :)

That's the first thing that I suggested as when we were flooded out here in 2000 many of the neighbours got caravans, only thing is though is he hasnt got a driveway, still i spose there's always Wild Park as has been suggested :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As others have said, I expect it would have to be a private deal with no agent involved. I really can't recall where I got out fill-a-gap rental from, but I suspect it was Gumtree or some other local classifieds equivalent.

I found a private rental listing and just called and asked if they'd take a shorter rental if I paid over their standard rate to offset the inconvenience of a short tenant turnover, and they were happy to do so.

Good luck.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Short term lets are expensive and also have lots of potential legal complications so no decent estate agent will touch them. My advice is just get a good deal on a 6 month let. Building work always takes longer than builders quote anyway, so you may well need 4 or even 5 months. My other advice don’t let through the big corporate agents like king and chase more , fox and sons etc as their customer service is usually poor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here