Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Swansea

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So it's goodbye Swansea, although I think my preference would have been Southampton.

So what are the positives?

1. A very long and difficult trip knocked off the fixture list in favour of a not-quite-so-long-and-difficult trip to Cardiff.

2. Comeuppance for a club that sacrificed its footballing identity and local ownership for a series of useless firefighting managers (and eventually a total charlatan in Carvalhal) and American investors. A lesson to many clubs that most won't heed, with any luck.

3. A good laugh at Tammy Abraham, who, as we all know, should have signed for a big club. Although perhaps we dodged a bullet and saved £1m there.

The negatives are that they would have been rubbish next season too, whereas Stains should improve. But thanks for the six points anyway.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The Abraham point is the highlight for me.

It felt like a kick in the teeth when he didn't want to sign for a newly promoted side as he didn't fancy a relegation fight. Based on many of his performances he really didn't fancy a relegation fight

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I am glad Swansea will drop as Burnley never get any luck against them.

In 6 PL games, Burnley have won 1 (h 2-0) and lost 5 (a 0-1, h 0-1, h 0-1, a 2-3, a 0-1). A bit of a bogey team.

in 6 PL games against Saints, Burnley 3 wins 1 draw 2 defeats.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
2. Comeuppance for a club that sacrificed its footballing identity and local ownership for a series of useless firefighting managers (and eventually a total charlatan in Carvalhal) and American investors. A lesson to many clubs that most won't heed, with any luck.

27 American investors in total according to this - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-list-27-swansea-city-14053437

Another example of why we are so lucky to have Uncle Tony.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am glad Swansea will drop as Burnley never get any luck against them.

In 6 PL games, Burnley have won 1 (h 2-0) and lost 5 (a 0-1, h 0-1, h 0-1, a 2-3, a 0-1). A bit of a bogey team.

in 6 PL games against Saints, Burnley 3 wins 1 draw 2 defeats.

Using this logic who do you want to come up via the playoffs.

Most of us want Fulham as its a good day out and easy to get to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So it's goodbye Swansea, although I think my preference would have been Southampton.

So what are the positives?

1. A very long and difficult trip knocked off the fixture list in favour of a not-quite-so-long-and-difficult trip to Cardiff.

3. A good laugh at Tammy Abraham, who, as we all know, should have signed for a big club. Although perhaps we dodged a bullet and saved £1m there.

The negatives are that they would have been rubbish next season too, whereas Stains should improve. But thanks for the six points anyway.

Don’t agree with 1 personally, nice easy drive, enjoyed the trip, stayed overnight (luckily the Marriott didn’t cancel my booking at the last minute), lovely run along the seafront in the morning and got a ton of stuff at the nearby Outlet Mall on the way back so a good weekend away. Also friendly local fans - not sure the same can be said of Cardiff.........

2&3 nail on head though [emoji106][emoji106]

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Never understood how he could get the sack from Massive and rock up days later at Swansea. Is it because he is Portuguese and knows Jose?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Mathematically - it's still possible for Swansea to stay up. The way Man City are playing at the moment, I wouldn't put it past them to score more than 9 goals against :)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The ''Media Love-in'' with Carlos Carvalhal seems to have faded somewhat. He got a lucky win against Liverpool and a really good win against Arsenal and the so wanted to adopt him as their new ''darling'' Manager because he was a bit of Razzmatazz during interviews and they so wanted to have someone like that.

They so wanted to believe that he was a good Manager but the way he went about chasing the game when Swansea went down a goal at the Amex was reckless and naïve at this level of football. We just picked them off at will when he started throwing forwards onto the pitch.

Much as the Press really respect CH - He is not their cup of tea because he doesn't rise to them when he is ''baited'' - He deals with MOST of the Press like a Politician and that is not what they seek.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The Abraham point is the highlight for me.

It felt like a kick in the teeth when he didn't want to sign for a newly promoted side as he didn't fancy a relegation fight. Based on many of his performances he really didn't fancy a relegation fight

Still think he would have done well for us and suited our style more than he has at Swansea. I didn't see too much of him though, but what I did I fancy he would have looked a lot better with us this season.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Mathematically - it's still possible for Swansea to stay up. The way Man City are playing at the moment, I wouldn't put it past them to score more than 9 goals against :)

I said this today to someone. It's not WAY beyond the realms of football's mysterious ways for the following to happen:

Man City 6-0 Southampton
Swansea 4-0 Stoke (Stoke players down in the dumps, and would love to get Mark Hughes relegated in the above game)

Funnier things have happened.....*

*I know it's unlikely!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Much as the Press really respect CH - He is not their cup of tea because he doesn't rise to them when he is ''baited'' - He deals with MOST of the Press like a Politician and that is not what they seek.

Nothing like a politician!!

He is honest, fair, reasonable, respectful - not what the media want at all (which I think is your general point, just completely at odds with a politician!).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nothing like a politician!!

He is honest, fair, reasonable, respectful - not what the media want at all (which I think is your general point, just completely at odds with a politician!).

LOL - I would disagree.

There are loads of times he gets asked a question and he answers it with a fact he wants to get across not even related to the question. I am not knocking Chris in any way. Far from it. I actually like how good he is at deflecting the questions because it often protects the players when the put in a bad performance - The best example being when the Interviewers wanted to jump on all of Lewis Dunk's own goals at the start of the season. He turned that one on it's head with them and told them he wants Lewis to be throwing his body in front of shots even if it results in more own goals

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I said this today to someone. It's not WAY beyond the realms of football's mysterious ways for the following to happen:

Man City 6-0 Southampton
Swansea 4-0 Stoke (Stoke players down in the dumps, and would love to get Mark Hughes relegated in the above game)

*I know it's unlikely!

Bet365 have Soton as 100/1 to be relegated.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Man City 6-0 Southampton

*I know it's unlikely!

It really is. The chances of that happening are about 500/1 I should think (best price 125/1 at 10bet, which is still a rip off). Southampton will not lose 6-0 at home. Even if they lost 4-0, Swansea would still have to beat Stoke by more than Stoke's worst defeats this season, which were against Man City (7-2) and Chelsea (5-0).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
LOL - I would disagree.

There are loads of times he gets asked a question and he answers it with a fact he wants to get across not even related to the question. I am not knocking Chris in any way. Far from it. I actually like how good he is at deflecting the questions because it often protects the players when the put in a bad performance - The best example being when the Interviewers wanted to jump on all of Lewis Dunk's own goals at the start of the season. He turned that one on it's head with them and told them he wants Lewis to be throwing his body in front of shots even if it results in more own goals

But that was simply the truth backed up by the stats of how many blocks he has made. Anyway, I can see where you're coming from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here