Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Isn't it Strange

kjgood

That one single result against Man Utd totally changed the remainder of the season for me. Before that result I watched and listened to every game the teams down the bottom were involved in, I wanted Palace to either win or draw against Stoke only because it helped our cause of course, after our win COME ON STOKE!

Now we had the game last night - WHO CARES WHO WON? Huddersfield against Chelsea - DONT CARE, West Brom down - OK DONT CARE, and then the weekend games for Huddersfield, Swansea and Southampton - YAWN.

Yes be nice to get something againgst City or Liverpool and can we finish above Palace but thats about it for me now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not really strange is it?

That said, hopefully the players can get something from our next two games. I'd say 9th or 10th are probably beyond us, but it would be nice to aim to beat our highest ever final position (13th).

That said, we're nailed on to finish 11th I think, simply because I have a bet on us to finish in the top ten. :rolleyes:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not really 'strange'. The strange thing was checking the scores all season and hoping that the big clubs had all done their jobs and smashed our relegation rivals.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's not really strange is it?

That said, hopefully the players can get something from our next two games. I'd say 9th or 10th are probably beyond us, but it would be nice to aim to beat our highest ever final position (13th).

That said, we're nailed on to finish 11th I think, simply because I have a bet on us to finish in the top ten. :rolleyes:

I reckon we're not done for points yet, despite having what on paper look like our hardest games of the season coming up. And at the level of budget we're working at, the couple of million additional for each improved place will be a huge boost for next year. Beyond that, and our position relative to Palace, now that we're staying up I don't particularly care where we finish in the huge amorphous morass that resides between 9th and 17th.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The release of tension is total for us fans. For us, there's nothing finer than being literally on the beach, in a bar, job done, watching other clubs go through the agonies and the ecstasy with a complete sense of detachment. Hard for the players not to feel the same. They're only human after all. But last season switching off before the job was done cost each of them a Championship winners medal, and switching off for the next two games this season could literally cost the club millions in place prize money. Hopefully CH will impress that on the players. As of next Monday they can go f*cking mental with our blessing.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think it is good to finish well as a tonic for next season. We have largely achieved that whatever the results of the last two. What this season has shown is that come the end of the season teams at the bottom have to scrap because of the media spotlight and the real problems that relegation brings

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's not really 'strange'. The strange thing was checking the scores all season and hoping that the big clubs had all done their jobs and smashed our relegation rivals.

I felt dirty cheering Man Utd on against the likes of WBA & Swansea and instead of laughing when Huddersfield beat them at he start of the season was annoyed. Can't believe I was cheering on Chelsea has they came back to win against Southampton, while sitting watching the game inside Selhurst.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Would finishing say 12th this season and 17th next be regarded as progress? Might be best to “languish” at 16th this time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm still quite intrigued because a month ago I thought that 35 would be enough.

Have never been convinced it would be enough and I would have hated to go into the last game on 35 points as I doubt we’d be staying up. Given it’s going to be a must win game for Liverpool...nah I don’t even want to think about it.

Not long until we find out though :smile:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have never been convinced it would be enough and I would have hated to go into the last game on 35 points as I doubt we’d be staying up. Given it’s going to be a must win game for Liverpool...nah I don’t even want to think about it.

Not long until we find out though :smile:

Swansea v Stoke a draw all day long. We would have been safe, underwear on the other hand wouldn't have been.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Would finishing say 12th this season and 17th next be regarded as progress? Might be best to “languish” at 16th this time.

:lolol:

Joking aside, I think safety with the number of games left is probably a better measure. If we are 17th but mathematically safe 3 games before the end of the season, I'd consider that progress to be honest.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Completely agree with the OP. I'd even go as far as to say my Albion mojo has diminished somewhat and I'm not massively bothered about the City and Pool games (sacrilegious I know) beyond us hopefully finishing above Palace.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
The release of tension is total for us fans. For us, there's nothing finer than being literally on the beach, in a bar, job done, watching other clubs go through the agonies and the ecstasy with a complete sense of detachment. Hard for the players not to feel the same. They're only human after all. But last season switching off before the job was done cost each of them a Championship winners medal, and switching off for the next two games this season could literally cost the club millions in place prize money. Hopefully CH will impress that on the players. As of next Monday they can go f*cking mental with our blessing.

The carrot of being 'the best Brighton team ever' (ie finishing highest ever) should be incentive enough to keep the flip flops in storage for a few more days!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Speak for yourself!

It's nervous twitch time in the wilcock household. My brother has managed to get tickets to the Chelsea and arsenal games, so he is teatering on the edge at the moment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here