Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Awaydays - full movie

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Anyone interested in the origins of the casual movement and with an unhealthy obsession with Adidas Forest Hills, Munich and Samba trainers will enjoy this.

Cracking soundtrack too. Magazine, Ultravox...especially when the pack are twatting Port Vale to the sound of "The Light Pours Out Of Me"

Stephen Graham and Ian Poulson Davis put in a good shift as Cartys Dark and Light father figures. No where near as good as the book but a fair effort.

http://moviesonline.mx/watch/bdreeqGN-awaydays.html

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is a great read.

Attachments

• 515cc-z4FrL._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    515cc-z4FrL._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,118

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Might watch this again tonight

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Reasonable effort that film considering the majority of films on football violence are total ****.

The soundtrack and footwear is the best thing about it. Poor choreography for the fight scenes let it down.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Reasonable effort that film considering the majority of films on football violence are total ****.

The soundtrack and footwear is the best thing about it. Poor choreography for the fight scenes let it down.

It was done on a shoestring budget. All filmed in Birkenhead although Tranmere refused permission to mention it's their firm portrayed.

Anyway. It's a free link so nothing to lose.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Both film and book are excellent.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Getting the Rascals to appear as Echo and the Bunnymen meant they didn’t have to spend on 1979 wigs.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Anyone interested in the origins of the casual movement and with an unhealthy obsession with Adidas Forest Hills, Munich and Samba trainers will enjoy this.

Cracking soundtrack too. Magazine, Ultravox...especially when the pack are twatting Port Vale to the sound of "The Light Pours Out Of Me"

Stephen Graham and Ian Poulson Davis put in a good shift as Cartys Dark and Light father figures. No where near as good as the book but a fair effort.

http://moviesonline.mx/watch/bdreeqGN-awaydays.html

Good film, I have also got the book and bought it when it came out in 1998.
Definitely a decent soundtrack, especially Young Savage by Ultravox. Also decent tracks from OMD, The Jam, Human League, Echo & the Bunnymen and The Cure.

I have got a few books by Kevin Samson, always a good read.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Riddled with hundreds of typos.

I don't want to tell psychobilly...I've ead that book. It's shite.

Awaydays (book) is by far and away the finest work on the early years of the firms. We even get a mention.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Good film, I have also got the book and bought it when it came out in 1998.
Definitely a decent soundtrack, especially Young Savage by Ultravox. Also decent tracks from OMD, The Jam, Human League, Echo & the Bunnymen and The Cure.

I have got a few books by Kevin Samson, always a good read.

Coming from Birkenhead (I was 11 in 1979) and knowing the places and little firms that Sampson describes so well this book was a total game changer.

Why would a young lad get wired into a firm? What was one upmanship?

He wrote about it so well.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Coming from Birkenhead (I was 11 in 1979) and knowing the places and little firms that Sampson describes so well this book was a total game changer.

Why would a young lad get wired into a firm? What was one upmanship?

He wrote about it so well.

Have you read any of his other books?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Forgotten what a good film this is

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Have you read any of his other books?

Oh yes.

Powder was excellent. I met him at the BFI for the first screening of "awaydays' and he and I had a few beers with the cast. He admitted that after "awaydays" he lost it a bit. I guess he had one really, really authentic tale to tell. I said that the Jed character from his Liverpool gangster books was screen ready, he said he had a film deal in the pipes...it never happened but Kevin is a very, very good writer.

If the had a bit more dough I think that the story of Carty was a great untold tale. You could have done so much with that.

How did you get into it mate?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh yes.

Powder was excellent. I met him at the BFI for the first screening of "awaydays' and he and I had a few beers with the cast. He admitted that after "awaydays" he lost it a bit. I guess he had one really, really authentic tale to tell. I said that the Jed character from his Liverpool gangster books was screen ready, he said he had a film deal in the pipes...it never happened but Kevin is a very, very good writer.

If the had a bit more dough I think that the story of Carty was a great untold tale. You could have done so much with that.

How did you get into it mate?

Good question.
I think Awaydays was his first book, as it was 20 years back I can't remember if I just saw the cover in a book shop and bought it.
May have seen a book review in a magazine.
As I enjoyed Awaydays I bought his other books, Outlaws is another I really like.

I have missed the last 2 books though, I will have to look out for them.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Where is [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] ? Is he unwell or something ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Good question.
I think Awaydays was his first book, as it was 20 years back I can't remember if I just saw the cover in a book shop and bought it.
May have seen a book review in a magazine.
As I enjoyed Awaydays I bought his other books, Outlaws is another I really like.

I have missed the last 2 books though, I will have to look out for them.

Don't be mistaken and don't be misled,.we are not scousers were from Birkenhead.
You can keep your cathedrals and f*ck your pierhead,
We are not scousers, we're from Birkenhead.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here