Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Would you buy food from a 1/5 "Scores on the Doors" establishment?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the places we use semi-regularly for takeaways has received a 1/5 on the recent "Scores on the Doors" thingummy, as revealed by the Worthing Herald:

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/im...-hygiene-rating-1-8480436/8480438/img18480435

(In fact there's another place in that list that I've been to a fair few times over the last couple of years too)

Because we enjoy the food from the place, and have never had any sort of after-effects, I'm happy to carry on using it. Would you?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've been of the opinion that 1 star means they are safe on the grounds that if they didnt meet minimum standards, they'd be closed. maybe thats not how the criteria work. i recall from somewhere the higher grades are for following lots of nice procedures and having documents to say so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup.

I continued to use GFC in Hove for the odd chicken fillet burger (with mayo) once it re-opened after being closed down. I know its a fetid, rat-infested khazi, but their chicken fillets are soooo good, and I've never been poorly afterwards. Just have a quick check under the bun for droppings and away you go.

I'm going to a 20/20 match in Hove in a couple of months, and its an ideal pre-game venue for some scoff, but I was disappointed to see the place has recently fallen foul of the food hygiene environmental health nazis again. Hopefully it'll be re-opened by the time I go.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
One of the places we use semi-regularly for takeaways has received a 1/5 on the recent "Scores on the Doors" thingummy, as revealed by the Worthing Herald:

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/im...-hygiene-rating-1-8480436/8480438/img18480435

(In fact there's another place in that list that I've been to a fair few times over the last couple of years too)

Because we enjoy the food from the place, and have never had any sort of after-effects, I'm happy to carry on using it. Would you?

I think 1 star means only 1 rat turd per mouthful.

I'd carry on. It's doing your immune system good.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Besides. Anyone with any sense goes to the Mahaan when choosing a ruby in Worthing.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've never taken any chances eating from places with poor hygiene standards.

sing li.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Besides. Anyone with any sense goes to the Mahaan when choosing a ruby in Worthing.

The main place was Spice Thai Kitchen. It's curious how every Thai place I'm aware of in Worthing is on that list.

But the Indian was the second place I mentioned. I agree on going to the Mahaan, but a few times we've been drinking in the Corner House which makes that Warwick Street place convenient. They also stay open very late (by Worthing standards).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The business is mugging you the punter off ..................

If they cannot be arsed to get the minimum hygiene requirement, (it's not just paperwork) then how do you think they source their products and then store them and what might be their decision on whether to deep fry that slightly mouldy looking chicken fillet that outlasted its shelf life a weeks ago compared to a similar business that keeps a log and a policy of how their food is stored and at the very least has a modicum of pride in the quality of the food they serve and the service they provide.

Frankly anything less than a three score should be avoided, it doesnt deserve you or anyone else.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Funny I used to go to the Zaman but stopped when they got done for keeping a slave upstairs. Thought they had closed down actually. I also use Mahan because it’s within walking distance and has always seemed very good to me. I’d be happy to be educated by those in the know of a recommended Indian and Chinese.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When the scores on the doors first came out most of my favourite takeaways had 1 star! Doesn't stop me going to them when pissed though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't remember what the ratings mean - isn't it a lot about paperwork?

I'd steer clear of somewhere I thought had poor hygiene.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yup.

I continued to use GFC in Hove for the odd chicken fillet burger (with mayo) once it re-opened after being closed down. I know its a fetid, rat-infested khazi, but their chicken fillets are soooo good, and I've never been poorly afterwards. Just have a quick check under the bun for droppings and away you go.

I'm going to a 20/20 match in Hove in a couple of months, and its an ideal pre-game venue for some scoff, but I was disappointed to see the place has recently fallen foul of the food hygiene environmental health nazis again. Hopefully it'll be re-opened by the time I go.

Ditto - and never had a problem there ..... and I'm still alive.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

If they cannot be arsed to get the minimum hygiene requirement, (it's not just paperwork) then how do you think they source their products and then store them and what might be their decision on whether to deep fry that slightly mouldy looking chicken fillet that outlasted its shelf life a weeks ago compared to a similar business that keeps a log and a policy of how their food is stored and at the very least has a modicum of pride in the quality of the food they serve and the service they provide.

Frankly anything less than a three score should be avoided, it doesnt deserve you or anyone else.

Exactly. It’s an attitude of mind that will pervade all their thinking and decision making. 4 or 5 or don’t use it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Not often I agree with you, but you're bang on the money here.

Businesses have a legal obligation to improve on a no-star or one-star rating. Failure to do so can lead to closure.

Feeling OK after eating from a one-star place isn't necessarily the issue. It possibly means you've got a fully functioning, healthy digestive system. Those who are a little more prone to illness could become, well... ill.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
The main place was Spice Thai Kitchen. It's curious how every Thai place I'm aware of in Worthing is on that list.

But the Indian was the second place I mentioned. I agree on going to the Mahaan, but a few times we've been drinking in the Corner House which makes that Warwick Street place convenient. They also stay open very late (by Worthing standards).

I can't say I've ever been in the Zaman, I'm very much a curry loyalist and, although I'm not in Worthing anymore, I always go to the Mahaan if I'm visiting. Never had a bad curry from there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't say I've ever been in the Zaman, I'm very much a curry loyalist and, although I'm not in Worthing anymore, I always go to the Mahaan if I'm visiting. Never had a bad curry from there.

I've been visiting the Mahaan for at least 25 years ago. I'm not sure if [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] recalls, but around 25 years ago for some reason they thought I was an Albion player and were always extra-nice to me as a result.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here