Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Matt Dawson - the biggest tool in sport?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Everton / Liverpool used to be a friendly rivalry, maybe he is trying to re-kindle this

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Everton / Liverpool used to be a friendly rivalry, maybe he is trying to re-kindle this

Previous evidence suggests he's a ****. I'm sticking with this theory.

If any Albion fans on here would support P*l*ce in a cup final of any kind, please make yourself known.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Previous evidence suggests he's a ****. I'm sticking with this theory.

If any Albion fans on here would support P*l*ce in a cup final of any kind, please make yourself known.

I was thinking how I really would struggle if they ever played Portsmouth in a cup final. But actually I'd love us to win a trophy in the modern era before them, so I'd probably begrudgingly "support" the skate muppets for that one.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He is a complete tool I assumed he appealed to the Middle classes.

Can't stand him in the slightest, I feel like he is a right Snide.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I always support the English/British club in European cup competitions.

Thankfully Palace have never given me a reason to see if that rule would apply to them, but I suspect it wouldn't. Would be hilarious to see them being knocked out by some Kazakh minnow in the back end of nowhere.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed it did. One of my best friends grew up in Liverpool in the 1950s and 60s. Him and his mum supported Everton, his brother and his dad supported Liverpool. In those days rather than go to away games a lot of people went to Anfield one week and Goodison the next (the grounds are quite close to each other after all). Even though he was a staunch Evertonian he'd rather Liverpool won ("for the city") as opposed to someone else - although he wouldn't go as far as actually 'support' them. I met a Liverpool fan of a similar vintage who said the same about Everton.

However Wozza's point is still valid.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I always support the English/British club in European cup competitions.

I used to as well - in the days when there WERE English/British teams in Europe. Now all the big teams are foreign-owned, foreign-managed with foreign players, so I don't feel any affinity with them at all. Saying Chelsea for example are English just because they play their home games in London is like saying Coca-Cola is a British drink just because it has a bottling plant in Milton Keynes.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Look, I can kinda understand why some people support other English/British teams in Europe.

But supporting your team's RIVAL? No, no, no.

(I wouldn't worry about the prospect of a P*l*ce v P*mp*y final, Sim)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's a tool but he's not even the biggest one in rugby, let alone all sport

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Having spent my schooldays in Liverpool in the 70s and 80s I don't remember much "friendly rivalry" on Derby day.

Sure there's red and blue in families, workplaces and whatnot but there was always a load of ag on match days. Most of the fights in my school were related to Everton/Liverpool spats and the two sets of fans had very well defined drinking holes where "the other lot" dare not tread.

It's not as bad as Rangers / Celtic but it could get pretty hairy around town on the evening after a game.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I used to as well - in the days when there WERE English/British teams in Europe. Now all the big teams are foreign-owned, foreign-managed with foreign players, so I don't feel any affinity with them at all. .

So on the basis that of our 18 players on the team sheet against United last Friday included 12 (13 if you include Duffy who plays for Eire) foreign players you don't feel any affinity towards Brighton anymore :whistle:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So on the basis that of our 18 players on the team sheet against United last Friday included 12 (13 if you include Duffy who plays for Eire) foreign players you don't feel any affinity towards Brighton anymore :whistle:

Those players have chosen to work in, and represent, Brighton.

It's really not the same to argue that, for example, Salah or Firmino are doing their work on behalf of England.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Those players have chosen to work in, and represent, Brighton.

It's really not the same to argue that, for example, Salah or Firmino are doing their work on behalf of England.

But they are doing their work on behalf of and represent Liverpool who are a team in England I don't see the difference, but each to their own

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here