Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Staying in the prem

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you get a chance, check out John Nicholson’s article on football 365 about middlesboro and the premier league

It’s on Twitter if you have it

It is actually pretty spot on

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think ‘Boro are a decent bet to come up through the playoffs.

I wonder if he’ll celebrate?

:lolol:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Bit easier to justify when your team has been relegated.

Personally the thought of another season in the top division is far more exciting than being relegated and having to play the likes of Middlesbrough.

When we got pasted by Liverpool I wasn’t particularly upset - just accepting of the fact we were outplayed by a far better team. There is always the aspiration as a fan that one day we could as good as they were that day.

And that ain’t going to happen if you’re in the EFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
If you get a chance, check out John Nicholson’s article on football 365 about middlesboro and the premier league

It’s on Twitter if you have it

It is actually pretty spot on
Yeah I saw that pop up on Twitter yesterday, a very good read & interesting perspective.
I don't totally agree with all of it though, they (Middlesbrough) had a torrid time last season so I'm not surprised they didn't enjoy it.

I've enjoyed almost every minute of our first season and couldn't be happier in the Premier League, when you get nights like Friday and the Arsenal game etc, it makes it all seem worth it. Watching our team grow and certain individuals develop in to comfortable Prem players throughout the season has been a joy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yeah I saw that pop up on Twitter yesterday, a very good read & interesting perspective.
I don't totally agree with all of it though, they (Middlesbrough) had a torrid time last season so I'm not surprised they didn't enjoy it.

I've enjoyed almost every minute of our first season and couldn't be happier in the Premier League, when you get nights like Friday and the Arsenal game etc, it makes it all seem worth it. Watching our team grow and certain individuals develop in to comfortable Prem players throughout the season has been a joy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

...and think that is a very good point.

It will be very interesting watching how Burnley approach the European adventure next season. If they are struggling in the league, as with a lot of sides ( Everton being the example) they do not regard the success in a Euro comp any consolation for dropping out the prem, therefore they put out poor sides.

In the cold light of day, the only games that I could say were truly enjoyable were manu, Spurs and arsenal. Yes the Chelsea and Liverpool games were full if goals although those were the only two games we were dicked, and of course Swansea being taken apart...but we had some really dross games.

He is also right that the press assume that the only football is premier and the whole reason other clubs are in existence is to hope to get into the prem. otherwise what is the point of the likes of Rochdale and Lincoln?

I am sure you all have friends who support other premier sides and especially those who have been in there a few years ...arsenal, etc. And the absolute arrogance of then who just see the prem and nothing else.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've enjoyed the Premier League far more than I thought I would.

My way of looking at it is that games against the really big clubs are just bonuses really. We don't expect to win but it's fantastic if we do. It's amazing to think that Man U, Spurs and Arsenal all came to the Amex this season and managed just one point between them. And those games were highlights of the season.

But our bread-and-butter games are against the likes of West Ham, Swansea, Huddersfield, Newcastle etc etc and in this section of the Prem, teams are much more evenly matched, and games are competitive. So as fans we get the best of both worlds.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Middlesbrough never had a hope of staying up last season with that idiot Karanka in charge. Always on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

He was happy with goalless draws and 1-0 defeats.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Middlesbrough never had a hope of staying up last season with that idiot Karanka in charge. Always on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

He seemed happy with goalless draws and 1-0 defeats. Pulis is obviously better but the Boro squad is weaker (Bamford etc) than 2016/17.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
...and think that is a very good point.

It will be very interesting watching how Burnley approach the European adventure next season. If they are struggling in the league, as with a lot of sides ( Everton being the example) they do not regard the success in a Euro comp any consolation for dropping out the prem, therefore they put out poor sides.

In the cold light of day, the only games that I could say were truly enjoyable were manu, Spurs and arsenal. Yes the Chelsea and Liverpool games were full if goals although those were the only two games we were dicked, and of course Swansea being taken apart...but we had some really dross games.

He is also right that the press assume that the only football is premier and the whole reason other clubs are in existence is to hope to get into the prem. otherwise what is the point of the likes of Rochdale and Lincoln?

I am sure you all have friends who support other premier sides and especially those who have been in there a few years ...arsenal, etc. And the absolute arrogance of then who just see the prem and nothing else.

West Ham ? West Brom ? Even some of the home draws like Everton we should have won. 4 home defeats all season. No idea what you were expecting

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I wonder if Sunderland fans feel the same way?

I have a little sympathy for the views in the article. I was doubtful whether I would enjoy the Prem more than the Champ, which is a great League in itself, but I'm delighted to say that I have, and not just because we have survived. Every game is much more of an event, every home game a full house and the phenomenal away support we have travelled with, certainly by historic Albion standards. I know a few who won't be able to justify travelling as much next year, so I'm certain it will be easier to pick up away tickets.

PG

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I wonder if Sunderland fans feel the same way?

I have a little sympathy for the views in the article. I was doubtful whether I would enjoy the Prem more than the Champ, which is a great League in itself, but I'm delighted to say that I have, and not just because we have survived. Every game is much more of an event, every home game a full house and the phenomenal away support we have travelled with, certainly by historic Albion standards. I know a few who won't be able to justify travelling as much next year, so I'm certain it will be easier to pick up away tickets.

PG

Where should I pick them up? OTG? Just say these are for the weirdo.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've enjoyed this season immensely, but I also agree with a lot of whats said in that article. The Premier League is NOT the be-all and end-all. We had 5 absolutely BRILLIANT seasons at the Amex (just the one duffer), the Championship is a great division to be in. Competitive, unpredictable and full of big clubs and great awaydays. Had we gone back down I'd have been gutted of course, but that would soon have passed as the new season approached.

One big aspect of being in the PL I would really miss though, is being able to see every single game live on TV. I've pretty much seen every game this season either from my STH seat, or via other means...thats brilliant. That and the media profile - seeing us on MOTD every week still feels like a novelty, and all the additional column inches we get now is great.

Maybe if we're still just striving for mid-table PL mediocrity in 5-6 years time it won't be as much fun, but thats for another day. Right now I'm loving the ride.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The Premier League has been unexpectedly great because we survived, competed and flourished. The Amex Championship years were (apart from Sami's brain fart) equally amazing. FFS, turning up at Falmer was preceded by eviction, exile and 10+ years of fighting off the pitch and comparatively successful times on the pitch at Withdean (Yep, Withdean - where many of us had had had our school sports days!). The whole bloody football thing is about perspective. The Boro article is about just that and tries to diffuse some of the nauseating hyperbole about the Premier League. But right now it's still brilliant to be part of the whole mad circus for another year.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I've enjoyed this season immensely, but I also agree with a lot of whats said in that article. The Premier League is NOT the be-all and end-all. We had 5 absolutely BRILLIANT seasons at the Amex (just the one duffer), the Championship is a great division to be in. Competitive, unpredictable and full of big clubs and great awaydays. Had we gone back down I'd have been gutted of course, but that would soon have passed as the new season approached.

One big aspect of being in the PL I would really miss though, is being able to see every single game live on TV. I've pretty much seen every game this season either from my STH seat, or via other means...thats brilliant. That and the media profile - seeing us on MOTD every week still feels like a novelty, and all the additional column inches we get now is great.

Maybe if we're still just striving for mid-table PL mediocrity in 5-6 years time it won't be as much fun, but thats for another day. Right now I'm loving the ride.

Was hoping you would say ....... by moody stream.

Disappointed now

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Dur. Of course being in The Championship is preferable to being AWFUL in the Prem.

Difference is, we've held our own - AND with quality football, not just flukey wins.

**** Boro.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here