Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The fixture list is rigged towards the top 6 teams

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Interesting stuff from the Telegraph:

“The Premier League fixture list is engineered to stop the biggest clubs playing each other on the final day of the season, it can be revealed. The top-six teams over a three-year period are also kept apart in the opening round of games and on FA Cup semi-final weekend, according to the tender document for the UK television rights to the world’s richest league.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-league-fixture-list-engineered-stop-biggest/

Not really surprised but nice to have the bias confirmed.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Interesting stuff from the Telegraph:

“The Premier League fixture list is engineered to stop the biggest clubs playing each other on the final day of the season, it can be revealed. The top-six teams over a three-year period are also kept apart in the opening round of games and on FA Cup semi-final weekend, according to the tender document for the UK television rights to the world’s richest league.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-league-fixture-list-engineered-stop-biggest/

Not really surprised but nice to have the bias confirmed.

I am sure it was just coincidence that Huddersfield and us had a nightmare end to our season with our fixtures. Two newly promoted clubs not been in the prem before...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I am sure it was just coincidence that Huddersfield and us had a nightmare end to our season with our fixtures. Two newly promoted clubs not been in the prem before...

I'd like to have this "nightmare end to our season" every season!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Every team plays every other team at home and away. Same chances to get points. You could equally say that we and Huddersfield had easier middles to the season.

Plus, two seasons ago, Spurs played Manchester United in the opening round of fixtures, and Arsenal’s first game of last season was at home to Liverpool, so the system wasn’t working that well on those occasions.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Every team plays every other team at home and away. Same chances to get points. You could equally say that we and Huddersfield had easier middles to the season.

Plus, two seasons ago, Spurs played Manchester United in the opening round of fixtures, so the system wasn’t working that well on that occasion.

No shit every team plays each other home and away we really didnt know that. One fixture over the last two years is that the best you can do?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Well, now you do. Glad to help.

This year its actually helped us in that Man U rested half their team against us and also likely Liverpool may do the same and both their players and City players may be thinking of world cup games coming up. That may not be so convenient in the future.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
What's the problem there are 38 matches to play. There are (imho) other inbuilt fixtures for TV. As examples when Arsenal play Utd, Spurs always seem to be playing City. Then there is rivalry weekend with several derby matches scheduled at the sametime.
The one thing that must never happen is for any team to have to play the top 6 from previous seasons on consecutive fixtures as that potentially would be 6 defeats and with the knock on effect on confidence.

The price you pay for taking the tv money

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'd like to have this "nightmare end to our season" every season!

yeah ....much prefer it to man etudes end to the season ...supporters in ribbons after most likely finishing second and runners up in the f.a.cup as i think chelsea will turn it on for the final ....expecting a drubbing .

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
This year its actually helped us in that Man U rested half their team against us and also likely Liverpool may do the same and both their players and City players may be thinking of world cup games coming up. That may not be so convenient in the future.

Don’t think Liverpool will.. they have to beat us

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone complaining needs to remember where the £100,000,000 comes from.
It sure as hell isn't Burnley v Brighton.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Anyone complaining needs to remember where the £100,000,000 comes from.
It sure as hell isn't Burnley v Brighton.

Yeah, we are all supposed to be so grateful for the overpaid 'stars' of the premier league and the inflated prices we now have to pay to watch them. We saw Man U on Friday and they weren't all that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, we are all supposed to be so grateful for the overpaid 'stars' of the premier league and the inflated prices we now have to pay to watch them. We saw Man U on Friday and they weren't all that.

I bet Mr Bloom is.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I bet Mr Bloom is.
Yes but you miss the point. The expenditure necessary to eventually reach the premier league would not have reached such dizzying heights without the inflated transfer process and wages. The only people benefiting are footballers and agents.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes but you miss the point. The expenditure necessary to eventually reach the premier league would not have reached such dizzying heights without the inflated transfer process and wages. The only people benefiting are footballers and agents.

Of course but the last train left that station long ago.

Unfortunately now we are just sat in the waiting room with an angry bear and between us a big stick.
If you want to pick that stick up and start jabbing, crack on, but it won't end well.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
Of course but the last train left that station long ago.

Unfortunately now we are just sat in the waiting room with an angry bear and between us a big stick.
If you want to pick that stick up and start jabbing, crack on, but it won't end well.

Personally I agree with the sentiment but it’s the lack of transparency that I don’t like. Fair enough United and Liverpool bring in the millions, but don’t pretend it’s all equal when there clearly is a bias.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Surely from a financial point of view...there are 30 matches between the top 6 sides and there must be around 30 weekends throughout the season. Surely a to package that included ever single match between top 6 sides would sell for a fortune around the world

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No they didn’t they had some injured.

I’m sure I saw 11 players mostly internationals .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here