Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bars in Benalmadena

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Huh? It's supposed to be the most British place on the Costa del Sol.

Didn't John Crumplin used have a part ownership in a bar out there once?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I went there many years ago and is the only place in Spain that I'd recommend. It hasn't been ruined by knuckle dragging Brits......yet.

Is that the same Benalmadina where, even 20 years ago, Avenue Antonio Machado was stuffed full of British bars? :D

At least the chiringuito‘s were all still Spanish operated.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Huh? It's supposed to be the most British place on the Costa del Sol.

Really? You obviously have places like torremolinos and fuengirola in spitting distance, both of which are full of dive pubs and England shirts, but I found Benalmadena to be really chilled out and almost entirely Spanish. Maybe it's changed since I went.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Really? You obviously have places like torremolinos and fuengirola in spitting distance, both of which are full of dive pubs and England shirts, but I found Benalmadena to be really chilled out and almost entirely Spanish. Maybe it's changed since I went.

You must have gone there a hell of a long time ago then. :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I went there many years ago and is the only place in Spain that I'd recommend. It hasn't been ruined by knuckle dragging Brits......yet.

Spain is full of incredible cities, towns and village and abounds with beautiful, unspoilt beaches and stunning countryside. There's more to Spain than the Costa del Sol.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Day one done. Bit rough around the edges, but it has its charm. Already bright red and in need of an entire bath full of after sun. Sat on my balcony having a coffee and a brandy... Cheers chaps!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

That must have been a very long time ago, it is extremely British, not knocking it, a lot of people like resorts like that and it's their choice, but even in those resorts, if you look carefully there are some lovely authentic Spanish restaurants and bars.
I'm off to Benidorm in July for a 4 night stag do, and I need to find a proper restaurant for Paella, Steak and Tapas before hitting Sweaty Geordie's fun pub.
Anyway, there are many places that are nice in Spain and not hit by Britishness, just down the road from Benalmadina is a little place called Cabapino, I went there quite reluctantly 3 years ago but really liked it, super little place.
Also Malaga and east of Malaga, Majorca, Minorca, Ibiza and many others places.
People also seem to forget that Spain has a northern coast, cooler climate, very Spanish, nice beaches and you can get a ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth.
Spain is not my first choice but you can easily get away from our knuckle draggers, if you want to, and have a great holiday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Day one done. Bit rough around the edges, but it has its charm. Already bright red and in need of an entire bath full of after sun. Sat on my balcony having a coffee and a brandy... Cheers chaps!!!

Just impressed you made the flight! Have a good time mate, was great to meet you last night.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What exactly is a "Knuckle Dragger"?

Usually found in Burnley, a species that is still down the lower end of the evolutionary scale and has not managed to stand up straight yet, hence they walk on their knuckles.
Their habits include feasting on kebab, KFC and cheap lager.
Not advisable to annoy them as the will attack you by luzzing white plastic chairs.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
I'm off to Benidorm in July for a 4 night stag do, and I need to find a proper restaurant for Paella, Steak and Tapas before hitting Sweaty Geordie's fun pub.

You will have no trouble finding a proper restaurant for paella,steak and tapas etc in the more traditional old town part of Benidorm.
If ales and craft beer are your thing then head for the Pig and Whistle also in the old town.
That should set you up nicely before hitting Scruffy Murphy's,Red Lion etc.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You will have no trouble finding a proper restaurant for paella,steak and tapas etc in the more traditional old town part of Benidorm.
If ales and craft beer are your thing then head for the Pig and Whistle also in the old town.
That should set you up nicely before hitting Scruffy Murphy's,Red Lion etc.

Thanks for that, yes ale is my thing and I have been worrying about finding some no matter what it is.
I really can't drink lager or stuff like John Smiths Bitter, but I can get through on red or white wine Guinness and the odd Gin & Tonic, but if I can find some ale that would be ideal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here