Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Ref

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Craig Pawson - I know a lot of fans were upset that he didn't give some fouls on Murray and Gross, but I thought Man Utd could equally complain about not getting some free kicks. He seemed to allow a more physical game and not blow up every time a forward fell over under pressure from the defender, which I liked. Those sorts of fouls always annoy me, and I thought Pawson showed a decent amount of consistency in the giving/not giving of them.

Yea, maybe we could have had a shout for a penalty, "you've seen them given" but also, considering the physicality he was allowing elsewhere I can also see why he didn't give it. And again, there were some Man U tumbles in our box that had me holding my breath.

I know we don't hold Pawson in high regard, but I thought he refereed well tonight.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thought he had a shocker. Another one who likes kissing the big 6 butts. We should have had a penalty, totally ignored Murray being repeatedly wrestled (yes Murray CAN back in / roll off, we all know that, but he was being strangled at times) and would never have given the goal. He looked apologetic when showing the Man U players his watch for the goal, like he was blaming the technology. Probably kicking himself on the drive home that we won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’ll never forgive him for that Burnley game.

**** Craig Pawson.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think it was difficult to give the goal without technology, so you can’t blame the guy for that. He was right to wait for the technology to kick in. If anything, tonight proved why VAR should be used more, with numerous comings together in the box, particularly Knockaert’s, but that’s another issue.

I think people need to remember refs only see each decision once, at top speed, and from one angle, so they simply can’t get everything right without a little help. Like [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION], I thought he was very consistent, even if I didn’t agree with some of his decisions in real time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His dislike of Murray was really annoying but overall he didn’t have a bad game. As others have said at least he tried to let the game flow and was not looking to be centre of attention. We got away with some tackles that we would have been getting upset about if they were made on Albion players. I still haven’t forgotten his shameful refereeing against Smug Eddie’s Burnley or CMS miss that would have given us a point. It did give us one of the best atmospheres at the Amex of the early days though.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Allowed Murray to be kicked to death, so to speak, and wouldn't have given our goal.

Probably the pressure of refereeing a top 6 team.

You really expect a ref to guess if it was a goal or not (28.3 cm ) ? Anyway he did give it, a big well done to goal line technology.
The lino was in a brilliant position and he didn't give it.

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
You really expect a ref to guess if it was a goal or not (28.3 cm ) ? Anyway he did give it, a big well done to goal line technology.
It was 28.3mm mate, would have been impossible to tell if it went over the line from his position

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Craig Pawson - I know a lot of fans were upset that he didn't give some fouls on Murray and Gross, but I thought Man Utd could equally complain about not getting some free kicks. He seemed to allow a more physical game and not blow up every time a forward fell over under pressure from the defender, which I liked. Those sorts of fouls always annoy me, and I thought Pawson showed a decent amount of consistency in the giving/not giving of them.

Yea, maybe we could have had a shout for a penalty, "you've seen them given" but also, considering the physicality he was allowing elsewhere I can also see why he didn't give it. And again, there were some Man U tumbles in our box that had me holding my breath.

I know we don't hold Pawson in high regard, but I thought he refereed well tonight.

I agree on the whole...there we're a few occasions when we might have been punished by another ref...for example that tackle on JL right at the end ...anyway every ref thread should include the obligatory photo to help us remember them for next season ...when we will be in the premier league again yeeeeeh!

IMG_0134.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Although I was APOPLECTIC last night at him repeatedly not giving us, and Murray in particular, freekicks, I think you're probably right.

I commented about midway thorugh the first half how he was letting a lot go, and a fair bit at that time was beneficial to us. There was the one on the West touchline where Ryan clattered Martial or Rashford (can't recall which it was now) and I was amazed it wasn't given.

It was more in the second half when I became all GGGRRRRRRRR angry at Murray being given very little.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't know that they do anymore. According to the laws of the game, if it's an obvious goal, the lino is supposed to run back up the byline to the 25/30 yard mark. If it's not an obvious goal, he is supposed to raise his flag, then run back up the line.

With technology, they don't need to wave, the system will alert the ref.

What I just noticed watching the highlights on sky, is the lino is running back up the line before the ref looks at his watch/goal indicator. As players were still in the United area, the lino would have no reason to run up the line unless he thought it was a goal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here