Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Cure

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If you like the Cure then it is worth hunting down Blue Sunshine by The Glove. I just went a-hunting for a track to post and found this, which is a new (?) version of the original track. The original had female vocals but here the song is sung by RS himself. I had never heard it before. I post also another track to give a better flavour of the original LP. My vinyl was blue :lolol:. The band was basically Robert Smith and Steve Severin of the Banshees, plus a female vocalist who was a hairdresser they met in a club (or somesuch). The album has bits of found sound, and quite a lot of it is instrumental. My favourite 'Cure' record.

Edit, youtube has a whole load of The Glove remixed with RS singing. Sorry, but I prefer the original so I am putting an original track at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LzZpZVfxM&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9BNGl5yOs&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&start_radio=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tEcRZTLEGM&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&index=2

Agree, great album 👍

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If you like the Cure then it is worth hunting down Blue Sunshine by The Glove. I just went a-hunting for a track to post and found this, which is a new (?) version of the original track. The original had female vocals but here the song is sung by RS himself. I had never heard it before. I post also another track to give a better flavour of the original LP. My vinyl was blue :lolol:. The band was basically Robert Smith and Steve Severin of the Banshees, plus a female vocalist who was a hairdresser they met in a club (or somesuch). The album has bits of found sound, and quite a lot of it is instrumental. My favourite 'Cure' record.

Edit, youtube has a whole load of The Glove remixed with RS singing. Sorry, but I prefer the original so I am putting an original track at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LzZpZVfxM&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9BNGl5yOs&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&start_radio=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tEcRZTLEGM&list=RDEMEu9Rk6jfSI4esauidY3G-w&index=2

Superb album.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The cure were good not great bit to poppy for my liking
The Smiths now that's another whole ball game I have listerned to there music over and over and just don't get it to me they are akin to Ricky Geirvas the world rave about him I really don't get it and in both these cases it leaves me thinking what is it I am missing that the rest of the world can see!!!!!!!

I really enjoyed Idles set and in my opinion that was the best band of the weekend

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Cure ? Meh

I thought ‘Prevention’ were better.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I love The Cure, but Joy Division/New Order are just ahead for me ... personal taste.

The Smiths and The Jam are also modern greats to my mind.

I have a very varied taste in music, but I am obsessed with Joy Division. I played The Complete BBC Recordings the other evening and felt transfixed by their incredible sound. I first saw them on TV (Dec 1979-ish) and watched Ian Curtis sing She's Lost Control, jittering about like he was fitting. I remember my mum's comment 'He doesn't look well' ... how right she was :(

Oh, I love The Smiths too :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a very varied taste in music, but I am obsessed with Joy Division. I played The Complete BBC Recordings the other evening and felt transfixed by their incredible sound. I first saw them on TV (Dec 1979-ish) and watched Ian Curtis sing She's Lost Control, jittering about like he was fitting. I remember my mum's comment 'He doesn't look well' ... how right she was :(

Oh, I love The Smiths too :thumbsup:

I still adore the music of Joy Division/New Order. Goosebumps every time if Atmosphere or Love Will Tear Us Apart unexpectedly get played on the radio. I was far too young to see JD live, but the greatest gig I ever went to was New Order at Portsmouth Guildhall before they started playing at large venues. :smile:

E90FD5F9-D580-4196-A0BD-D44899808A74.png

Peter Hook and The Light at Concorde 2 a couple of years back unashamedly played the lot, quality.

Yep, The Smiths were brilliant. Did you go their Brighton Polytechnic gig in Feb 84?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Cure. . . .Meh. I do like 'killing an Arab. Doesn't seem to be on their set these days.
I Saw them at glasto '95 but don't remember anything of note.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I used to play football with Robert. Bloody good little winger he was. Midfield dynamo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to play football with Robert. Bloody good little winger he was. Midfield dynamo.

We know. you have already told us :)

Used to play football with Robert Smith for Sussex schools. Good little winger before he went all mascara and big hair.

The Cure are well up there in answer to the OP. But I’m not sure they were trailblazing. They were one of a real load of great indie bands.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I still adore the music of Joy Division/New Order. Goosebumps every time if Atmosphere or Love Will Tear Us Apart unexpectedly get played on the radio. I was far too young to see JD live, but the greatest gig I ever went to was New Order at Portsmouth Guildhall before they started playing at large venues. :smile:

View attachment 112233

Peter Hook and The Light at Concorde 2 a couple of years back unashamedly played the lot, quality.

Yep, The Smiths were brilliant. Did you go their Brighton Polytechnic gig in Feb 84?

I didn't really 'get' The Smiths until after Glastonbury '84. Friends told me they were brilliant, but the crowd threw beer cans at them!?
I left college in '84 and found a job .... heaven knows I'm miserable now sprang to mind :)

I'd like to say I saw New Order at Womad on Mersea Island in 1985, but I don't remember much about it :(

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Cure. . . .Meh. I do like 'killing an Arab. Doesn't seem to be on their set these days.
I Saw them at glasto '95 but don't remember anything of note.

Funny you should mention that as I saw them also. For me they were amazing and the perfect way to finish off the weekend with the sun setting. Cemented right there and then as one of my very favourite bands.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I didn't really 'get' The Smiths until after Glastonbury '84. Friends told me they were brilliant, but the crowd threw beer cans at them!?

Festival crowds can be pretty poor judges sometimes.

Same thing happened with REM supporting U2 at the Milton Keynes "Longest Day" in 1985. I thought they were brilliant, but a load of pissed up people at the front took exception to them following their downbeat opening with 'Feeling Gravity's Pull', and decided to lob plastic bottles full of piss at them throughout the set...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Festival crowds can be pretty poor judges sometimes.

Same thing happened with REM supporting U2 at the Milton Keynes "Longest Day" in 1985. I thought they were brilliant, but a load of pissed up people at the front took exception to them following their downbeat opening with 'Feeling Gravity's Pull', and decided to lob plastic bottles full of piss at them throughout the set...

Could have been a premonition of Shiny Happy People!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here