Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] It's World Password Day!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
May be we could celebrate by everyone posting their passwords on here ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Attachments

• passwords.png
    passwords.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 348

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I think i read (possibly in the Daily Express , (don't hate me ) that a massive percentage of the worlds population use their birthday in some way or another as their 4 digit pin number , i used to be one of those very people until 1983

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Doesn't everyone use Albion or Seagulls?

That did lead to some hilarity on Nsc a few years ago when one user was hacked by a Palace fan for using one of those words.
He did own up fairly quickly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Password1

Jokes aside, http://passwordsgenerator.net/ is good at making secure passwords. If you can remember the buggers.

which is why such passwords are rubbish (see previous link). example i just generated password "4p$]65[K4+:H]&gk". the site gives the supposedly handy way to remember as "4 park $ ] 6 5 [ KOREAN 4 + : HULU ] & golf korean". :eek:

the password "parkkoreanhulugolf" would be far easier to remember and is order of magnitude more secure as its 2 characters longer. throw in a capital, number or symbol if sites insist. all about the length, not the complexity (as the actress said).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
which is why such passwords are rubbish (see previous link). example i just generated password "4p$]65[K4+:H]&gk".

Hey! That's my password!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
IMO. Use a secure password generator if you can. But the most important things as I see them.

- Don't use exactly the same email/password combination on more than one site. ESPECIALLY important ones like email/banks etc.
- Pray that every site you sign up to encrypts them. Otherwise, if you don't do the above. You're buggered.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Doesn't everyone use Albion or Seagulls?

That did lead to some hilarity on Nsc a few years ago when one user was hacked by a Palace fan for using one of those words.
He did own up fairly quickly.

vBulletin used to have an admin function whereby you could enter a password and it would tell me all users who had that word as their password. (Passwords are encrypted, the admin function would encrypt the entered string and compared it to the stored encrypted passwords). As you say, there were a fair few people who were using "seagulls".

That function doesn't exist any more, but the admin panel is currently reporting that 34 people have a password that is the same as their username.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Of you put together the name of your first pet, favourite teacher and mother's maiden name ........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
which is why such passwords are rubbish (see previous link). example i just generated password "4p$]65[K4+:H]&gk". the site gives the supposedly handy way to remember as "4 park $ ] 6 5 [ KOREAN 4 + : HULU ] & golf korean". :eek:

the password "parkkoreanhulugolf" would be far easier to remember and is order of magnitude more secure as its 2 characters longer. throw in a capital, number or symbol if sites insist. all about the length, not the complexity (as the actress said).

When I worked as part of a Sys Admin team we used to pick a famous line from a film or song and use the first letters of each word - complicated enough that it was difficult to guess but easy enough to remember without having to write it down.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When I worked as part of a Sys Admin team we used to pick a famous line from a film or song and use the first letters of each word - complicated enough that it was difficult to guess but easy enough to remember without having to write it down.

So, we'll all be using GOSBTS1983 as passwords now?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Got anything lined up to celebrate?

Funny you should ask ? .... The other day I thought I had better change my NSC password as I have not changed it in years. I have set my account to be permanently logged in, imagine my horror that in order to change my password I have to know what it is currently... and I don't ?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

Not so helpful though on the majority of websites that require your password to be:
-between 6 and 10 characters
-must contain numbers and capitals
-must not contain special characters

etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here