[Politics] Club insensitivity re crimes of state of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

beadman

Aug 27, 2003
Seven Dials
Here's my email to Paul Barber
Dear Mr Barber,

I am an Albion supporter of almost 50 years standing and a season ticket holder for over 15 years. I was surprised to find calendar images for May of Brighton’s Israeli players Tomer Hemed and Beram Kayal. I am aware that Hemed is Jewish & Kayal Palestinian by birth, that both came through the ranks together at Macabi Haifa and the pair are on the most cordial terms.

As you may well be aware May 2018 marks the founding of the modern state of Israel. The enforced expulsion of over 700,000 Palestinians from their homes and lands which followed is known by them as the Nakba or Great Catastrophe. The subsequent history of the Israeli state is one of the brutal repression of Palestinians in Gaza, continued settlement building in the West Bank and an apartheid regime for those Palestinians still residing within Israel. This oppression is illegal under international law and has been condemned in UN resolutions too numerous to mention.

During recent events in Gaza unarmed protesters claiming their UN mandated rights to return home have been fired upon with high calibre live ammunition by the Israeli army (somewhat disingenuously known as the Israeli ‘Defence’ Force). At time of writing over 40 Palestinians have been killed and thousands wounded. Casualties include clearly marked journalists and paramedics.

Brighton & Hove Albion is a club I have been proud to support, the city’s cosmopolitan culture and tolerance being reflected in its fan base. I find it difficult to understand how the club could be so insensitive over a matter of this kind. I feel a public statement of apology re this month’s featured players would be appropriate. I look forward to your reply.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
cupid stunt

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Is this clown for real? Might be something to do with them sharing the same birthday this month.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No worries Paul, I've got this one:-

I thought it was good of the club to put the players pictures on the corresponding month to their shared birthday.

Today.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't disagree with you about the treatment of the Palestinians, but Brighton and Hove Albion is an English football club and there is nothing remotely wrong with the club featuring two Israeli players on its calendar. It's not at all clear what your problem is anyway - certainly not made clear by your letter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Whilst I fully support your views of Israel, really, what has this got to do with the club ? Moron. Oh, and f*** off.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Erm, what am I missing? Isn't the fact that they are from both communities actually a positive thing, it shows harmony. Maybe I am ignorant but then again the OP is ignorant to the fact this issue is NOTHING to do with our football club who are based in (the clue is in the name) Brighton, England.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bollocks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Christ on a bike. WTF?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
While I am anti Israel in a lot of what they do , this has nothing to do with the club .

Sport and politics should be kept separate

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not entirely sure this was the reaction the OP intended.

I'd wee-wee my pants if Mr Barber broke with tradition and also composed a 2 word reply.

Once again I put it to the Barber-Out brigade, why would anyone, even half competent at the job, put themselves forward for dealing with this kind of droopy bollox.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here