Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Thread closed ???

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No you were offering an alternative view as a fact so it’s pretty clear what your opinion is. You are saying that Corbyn isn’t and never has been an IRA sympathiser FACT aren’t you?

It doesn't matter how many times anyone points out what he was saying, you're not prepared to believe him. Your mind is made up.

If he was an IRA sympathiser, can you point me to the empirical, first-hand, peer-tested evidence to show this? Not third-hand hearsay; not 'it's obvious'; not 'well, he met and promoted Adams and McGuinness...'. You say you've seen the smoke - show me the fire. If you can do that, I will happily give way and damn him for all it's worth. Until then, I am keeping an open mind on what is know and what isn't.

The case against him is hardly proven.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has the art of talking / discussing football on a FOOTBALL forum site become extinct? Who in there right minds even wants to consider talking about politics in what I consider to be a recreational pastime........Politics is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING!!!

Just my opinion.......of course.......

It is on here.
Can you please point me in the direction of this mythical beast you mention.

Where might I find:-

'Talking about politics?'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Excellent, It's your democratic right to not vote, sit on your hands and whinge about who has been elected.

I won’t be whinging, point me to a post where I whinged about who has or hasn’t been elected. I disagreed with Brexit but it happened so I live with it. In truth I don’t have much interest in politics.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or shall I change the Thread Title just to really make the dummy's get well and truly spat out!! :lol: :lol:

Thread Close

threading_needle.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Has the art of talking / discussing football on a FOOTBALL forum site become extinct? Who in there right minds even wants to consider talking about politics in what I consider to be a recreational pastime........Politics is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING!!!

Just my opinion.......of course.......

Welcome welsh git :D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It doesn't matter how many times anyone points out what he was saying, you're not prepared to believe him. Your mind is made up.

If he was an IRA sympathiser, can you point me to the empirical, first-hand, peer-tested evidence to show this? Not third-hand hearsay; not 'it's obvious'; not 'well, he met and promoted Adams and McGuinness...'. You say you've seen the smoke - show me the fire. If you can do that, I will happily give way and damn him for all it's worth. Until then, I am keeping an open mind on what is know and what isn't.

The case against him is hardly proven.

Fair enough, I have an opinion on it but without too much in depth knowledge. I could be wrong I accept but I’d like to hear Corbyn being less evasive when grilled on the programmes and small amount of press I’ve seen and read.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
'No smoke without fire', as a means of justifying a point, is one of the most ridiculous phrases in the English language. It effectively means that someone can fabricate a point, and when that fabrication becomes rumour, and that rumour gains traction, people point and say '... ah but there's enough in there to suggest blah, blah, blah...' It basically means that a half-baked rumour can pass for evidence.

Meanwhile, being in favour of a United Ireland and being an IRA sympathiser aren't necessarily the same thing, and there is nothing in there that suggests he is an 'IRA sympathiser', and plenty of statements saying he wasn't / isn't.

Really .....

In October 1984, two weeks after an IRA bomb killed five at the Tory Party conference in Brighton, Corbyn invited convicted IRA volunteers Linda Quigley and Gerry MacLochlainn to the House of Commons. It caused uproar at the time.

But in an interview with the BBC’s Andrew Neil last week, Mr Corbyn said: “I never met the IRA. I obviously did meet people from Sinn Fein, as indeed I met people from other organisations, and I always made the point that there had to be a dialogue and a peace process.”

On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

So associating with two convicted IRA volunteers is not the same as meeting with the IRA. It’s weasel words at its best, which he hides behind.

TBF, This behaviour is used by politicians of all sides and is arguably the main reason I spoil my ballot at each election.
I sit very firmly in the middle and treat both the right and the left with suspicion and distrust. The likes of Corbyn, macdonald, gove, May,Farage to name but a few only enforce my view.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No sophistry here.

The SDLP wasn't linked to a terrorist group; Sinn Fein was, so trying to encourage the IRA to lay down their weapons was Corbyn's priority - albeit not particularly from a position of power. Corbyn, Adams and McGuinness may have had similar social political philosophies, but that's massive difference to supporting the latter's violent means - something he clearly is struggling to make people understand.

Meeting them isn't the same as defending or promoting them, as was shown by the fact that he didn't meet them anywhere near as many times as the Government did during those years - meetings that went as far back as William Whitelaw when he was Home Secretary in 1972.

The SDLP met Sinn Fein often to persuade them to give up the armed struggle and join them in a peaceful solution. Corbyn never once uttered so much as a single word in support of the IRA giving up their weapons and instead saluted them with minute silences and graveyard visits for dead terrorists.

If Corbyn claims now that it was in search of a peaceful solution then he's a liar. Anything else IS sophistry.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Eh, what? You deleted that post? Why is that a step too far? Where else am I meant to post it now the Windrush thread has been closed? It's a Commons vote that merits discussion.

:shrug:

Bozza gave you good reasons as to why that thread was closed and as far as I am concerned it won't re open via this thread, if [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] wants to reopen the original thread, that is his issue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really .....

In October 1984, two weeks after an IRA bomb killed five at the Tory Party conference in Brighton, Corbyn invited convicted IRA volunteers Linda Quigley and Gerry MacLochlainn to the House of Commons. It caused uproar at the time.

But in an interview with the BBC’s Andrew Neil last week, Mr Corbyn said: “I never met the IRA. I obviously did meet people from Sinn Fein, as indeed I met people from other organisations, and I always made the point that there had to be a dialogue and a peace process.”

On Sunday, in an interview with ITV’s Robert Peston, he said: “I have not spoken to the IRA… I’ve met former prisoners who told me they were not in the IRA.”

So associating with two convicted IRA volunteers is not the same as meeting with the IRA. It’s weasel words at its best, which he hides behind.

TBF, This behaviour is used by politicians of all sides and is arguably the main reason I spoil my ballot at each election.
I sit very firmly in the middle and treat both the right and the left with suspicion and distrust. The likes of Corbyn, macdonald, gove, May,Farage to name but a few only enforce my view.

Always remember, Mrs Thatcher, standard bearer of the " We Do Not Negotiate With Terrorists " group was negotiating via back channels with the IRA.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here