Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sky loses rights to La Liga football

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Live football matches could be shown exclusively over the internet in the UK for the first time after Sky lost the rights to broadcast Spain’s La Liga.

Eleven Sports, founded by the Leeds United owner, Andrea Radrizzani, has acquired exclusive rights to the Spanish top flight for three years, starting from 2018-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...a-internet-live-footbal-sky-sports-radrizzani

As each year goes by it seems the value for money that Sky offers is reduced.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No Champions League
No Europa League
No FA Cup
No England
No La Liga

...but they've still got the MLS, right ? TELL me they've still got the MLS. I couldn't bear to miss the Chicago Power Squats franchise vs the New Orleans Buckeroos in the South Mid-Western Conference Division (North).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That has left an opening for a new entrant in the market. Operating in seven countries across Europe, Asia and North America, Eleven Sports claims to have 17 million paying customers and describes itself as a “platform agnostic” broadcaster. In Poland and Belgium, for example, Eleven Sports has both its own TV channel, and an “over the top” online streaming service

More commonly known as:-

'The big hitters in Europe's TV market'.

Come on if you're operating in 7 markets across 3 continents and 2 of those countries are Poland & Belgium, how can you be anything other than ITV Sport Channel?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
...but they've still got the MLS, right ? TELL me they've still got the MLS. I couldn't bear to miss the Chicago Power Squats franchise vs the New Orleans Buckeroos in the South Mid-Western Conference Division (North).

You forgot The Chinese Super League too. It's Beijing Guoan v Guangzhou R&F next Friday the 11th - if you haven't got Sky for that, you wont be watching it, because you 'aint getting in any pubs as they'll be rammed solid that lunchtime.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It’s a 2 match season , who cares apart from Real Madrid v Barca ???

Unfair statement. Some of us support other teams in La Liga. I have a very soft spot for Real Soceidad and my favourite team is Athletic Bilbao. When they have their derby match they mingle and sit together, how civilized those Basques are.

TNBA

TTF

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No Champions League
No Europa League
No FA Cup
No England
No La Liga

Quite enjoyed watching Zaltan's 45-yard half volley on his debut for LA Galaxy. Can't say I've watched many other games, though!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You forgot The Chinese Super League too. It's Beijing Guoan v Guangzhou R&F next Friday the 11th - if you haven't got Sky for that, you wont be watching it, because you 'aint getting in any pubs as they'll be rammed solid that lunchtime.

*slaps forehed*

Good point, how could I forget the CSL. And the Eredivisie. And the Scotchland Famous Grouse Hebrides Premier Division, where we can see the Keltic McSporrans win an historic eleventy-fifth Championshup on the spin.

Get me that subscription number quick

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I doubt whether there's a kid's football team in the country that doesn't have at least one player with a Messi or Ronaldo shirt.

What the f*ck are Sky playing at, denying football fans the opportunity to watch the two best players on the planet live every week?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am no Sky apologist (although I'll own up to being a subscriber) but it is being conveniently ignored that they also have 2/3 of the Premier League games and a LOT of games from the Championship, often lauded on here as the toughest division in football. The problem is that they've always had a monopoly, and now it is disappearing. I get that monopolies are generally not considered good news for consumers, however I preferred it when I could just pay for Sky Sports to get everything, rather than have to either a) Pay Sky, BT and various internet companies separately and thus end up more out of pocket or b) Pick one, and then not be able to watch all the sport that I want to.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am no Sky apologist (although I'll own up to being a subscriber) but it is being conveniently ignored that they also have 2/3 of the Premier League games and a LOT of games from the Championship, often lauded on here as the toughest division in football. The problem is that they've always had a monopoly, and now it is disappearing. I get that monopolies are generally not considered good news for consumers, however I preferred it when I could just pay for Sky Sports to get everything, rather than have to either a) Pay Sky, BT and various internet companies separately and thus end up more out of pocket or b) Pick one, and then not be able to watch all the sport that I want to.

You make a valid point. We have our friends in the EU to thank for that. Breaking up the monopolisation of the footie was supposed to help the armchair fan, all it has done is fragmented the whole thing and made it far more expensive than before.

edit: And I can't see there being much appetite for subscribers over here so it's also bad news for La Liga's exposure.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In all the years I’ve subscribed to Sky Sports I don’t think I’ve ever watched a whole game of mono tenis from the La Liga league. As a tournament it’s as pointless as the Scottish Premiership, just with better players in their equivalent of celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No Champions League
No Europa League
No FA Cup
No England
No La Liga

I called up last year to try and get a better deal.

They actually used the MLS and Dutch league as a reason I should stay

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here