Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Best Curryhouse in Lewes

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Myself and the other Glawstershire Seagull are staying over on Friday. Any recommendations for which late night purveyors of Indian food are the best?

Thanks.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I have frequented them all on many occasions.

Spice Merchants is my one of choice however I had my first bad takeaway in there on Friday evening. I complained and they've given me a free Dhansak. I'll still happily use them.

Shanaz.....Up until about 2 years ago, I found their food drab, watery and just like it had come off a conveyor belt that supplies airline meals. But something's changed and I been for several eat in meals either with the Doris or with my band (25 people) and the food has been off the scale. You do have to ask for some dishes to be either mild, spicy or hot but i've found the food there nothing but superb.

Chaulas always smells good when i walk past. It's much more authentic and not designed for the English taste. Many people love Chaulas, but it's not for me.

There's also 2 Thai restaurants and Lemongrass is now Thai/Japanese. Not been to any of these yet.

Good luck

Edit, Newick Tandoori as mentioned above is bloody superb.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I spent about a year working on a project for Sussex Police, working out of offices at the old (now closed) police station in the centre of Lewes. A group of use used to frequent the Spice Merchant on a semi-regular basis. Never had a bad meal there - always really nice. My recommendation, but this was 11 years ago.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Quite often go to the Shanaz - nothing wrong with the service. I do like a Thali in Chaula's though - again good service and good food. Also a cocktail bar upstairs in Chaula's!

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Shanaz for me. Switched allegiances to them (from the Spice Merchant) a couple of years back... good food good service.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
How bizarre! Was in there from 6:30 for a couple of hours. Had the veg Dillkoosh at madras heat with coconut rice. Lush!

I watched the Lewes v Chipstead game then a couple of pints at the Landsdowne before my curry. I had a Lamb Dillkoosh with a garlic naan and pilau rice. Hadn’t been to Shanaz for ages as normally opt for Spice Merchant. It was delicious!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I cant use spice merchant ever since i saw one of the waioters walk outside hawk up a greenie and gob it into the gutter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here