Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing at the AMEX

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Now that safe standing is being discussed by MPs, it looks like there may be movement on the issue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43971245

I wondered how many people would be interested in a safe standing section if it didn’t obscure others views, was a choice not compulsory and featured the safety options (see below) not a return to terracing associated with problems in the past.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/what-does-standing-look-like/

The idea is that some Home (e.g back rows of North) and almost all away fans currently stand and this is very unsafe. Plus it can help with atmosphere and create an natural singing area.

There would be a cost to the club but for me it’s an investment in ‘the 12th man’. I’d favour somewhere like the North west corner or section of the North.

Safe standing at the AMEX? Let the bun fight begin..

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think Barber has come out and sad he is against it, the whole time this is his stance I dont think we would have a chance.

Personally I am in the WSU so will never see this as an option there, however I think it should be a consideration for the North.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think Barber has come out and sad he is against it, the whole time this is his stance I dont think we would have a chance.

Personally I am in the WSU so will never see this as an option there, however I think it should be a consideration for the North.

If he ever did, he has since recanted.

Everything he has done and said goes against what you have said about him there.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If he ever did, he has since recanted.

Everything he has done and said goes against what you have said about him there.

I have read a direct quote from him saying he wasnt supporting safe standing. This may have been two or three years ago, but I haven't seen anything different since, granted I haven't actively looked.

Do you know if we are looking at this as an option then?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not really. They have to debate anything that gets 100k signatures. Will no doubt end up with the same outcome

The Government's stance is that they see no reason to change the law. The Football Offences Act was drafted in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster - indeed, despite the Hillsborough disaster. The eventual outcome of the Hillsborough Inquiry 27 years later has meant that - in law at least - the original arguments against standing at matches are now largely redundant.

This argument must now be won on a Health & Safety consideration.

The SGSA, the body advising the government on this and other stadium issues, has a pre-determined agenda which not only operates on an evidence-free basis, it wishes to go further and insist all clubs get all supporters to sit down - all of the time. This, as every safety officer up and down the country tells them, is impractical, unsafe and largely impossible. But still the SGSA persevere.

The Government wants evidence to see the safe-standing is, well... safe. This can only be obtained by either fans standing at matches (the SoS at DCMS has said that they can't), or a club trial safe standing (WBA had their application turned down for reasons which may never be made clear). In short, every club in the country has to break the law (or rather, break the licensing terms of operation) in order to provide the evidence.

Either way, the Government needs to remove its inherent prejudices, and at least allow safe-standing trials - something the PL, FL, almost all clubs, fans and safety officers are in favour of (and clearly much higher than the '5%' the DCMS said was the interest in safe standing). At the moment, Tracey Crouch doesn't want to know.

At least this debate will show in public - and be placed on Hansard - the arguments for safe-standing. At least Ms Crouch won't be able to plead ignorance in the same way some of her colleagues have been lately.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have read a direct quote from him saying he wasnt supporting safe standing. This may have been two or three years ago, but I haven't seen anything different since, granted I haven't actively looked.

Do you know if we are looking at this as an option then?

Yes. The Albion was the first club to do this, and did so very publicly.

They invited fans to the stadium to discuss safe standing issues. It was broadcast as a live web-stream.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nope. Beer at seats far more relevant.

Sadly, not even on the agenda as far as the FSF is concerned. They have it somewhere bumping along the pipeline much further back, but safe standing is the priority right now, and all the efforts are being put into that basket.

After that, assuming safe standing is brought in, I suspect drinking in sight of the pitch will go flying up the agenda.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes. The Albion was the first club to do this, and did so very publicly.

They invited fans to the stadium to discuss safe standing issues. It was broadcast as a live web-stream.

Fair enough, Mine goes back to 2012! Which is completely insane, where has that time gone.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I know that (if) it were to happen then the suggestion was a section of the north stand. It would be good if it was the South East curve so that it is in a corner, loud and right near the away fans. Burnley and Huddersfield have been clever to put their noisy support next to the away fans to drown them out.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Massive fan of safe standing at The Amex.

Would provide the answer to the creation of a proper standing/singing section and be a great benefit to the atmosphere. The logical place is NWC - loud chants starting there could quickly be joined in with by North and West simultaneously and then spread across to East and SWC.

The noise inside The Amex is exceptionally good when it gets going. At the moment it relies on a decent match situation to really hit the high notes - but a new standing/singing section would help make it more consistently brilliant.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Won't happen at the Amex. Shame but we need to forget it.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I believe his objection is on cost grounds rather than anything fundamental.

We are a new ground with top-of-the-range seats installed. Removing and replacing these anytime soon would represent a significant financial cost to the club for no additional benefit.

In 10 years time (or whenever the club expects to have to replace the seats) then I think they will give it real consideration but unless everyone wanting to move to an all-standing section (myself included) wants to cough up, say, a grand each for the modifications, then it just isn't going to happen at the Amex.

Alternatively, if we ever got permission to expand the ground and add a new level to the North (or however it could be done), then it could happen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here