Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
facebook.jpg

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"whether it is able to keep their users data safe". thats an interesting question because the data is safe, the real question is about who is authorised to have access, when and how. remember that while technically the fuss the other week was over unauthorised access, it was possible because a third party had access and allowed data to be shared indirectly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Perhaps the Tory Party and the Brexit campaign want to query their bill from Cambridge Analytica etc to see whether they got value for money?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Such a stupid comment that it hurts. The Tory high command were almost all Remainers.

Brexit was a Tory party call. The Brexit campaign was run by senior Tory ministers. Post vote, key government posts are taken by those same Brexit Tory ministers. What makes it such a stupid comment that it hurts?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brexit was a Tory party call. The Brexit campaign was run by senior Tory ministers. Post vote, key government posts are taken by those same Brexit Tory ministers. What makes it such a stupid comment that it hurts?
A Tory Party call by Remainer Tories led by the PM who gambled everything on a Remain vote. For every senior Tory in the Brexit camp there were 4 senior Tories in the Remain camp including the PM, the Chancellor, the Treasury Minister and the Home Secretary.

The Tories roped in Barack Obama and the Governor of the Bank of England into their campaign. They used public funds to send pro-Remain literature to every household in Britain. To claim that the Tories ran the Brexit campaign is disingenuous scollobs when they were far more active as a party in Remain. The support for Brexit amongst Tories was far more grassroots.

How's that for starters?

The claim is that the Tories as a party or as the Government, commissioned Cambridge Analytica to engineer a Brexit win. Bearing in mind all the above is it at all likely that this happened?

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps the Tory Party and the Brexit campaign want to query their bill from Cambridge Analytica etc to see whether they got value for money?

Eh? The Tory party, along with almost the entire political establishment (as well as nearly all the media) were staunch Remainers! Even the official Tory government propaganda they sent to each home urged a Remain vote!

I'm not sure how Cambridge Analytica are supposed to have affected the vote (perhaps they brainwashed the vote counters to misread the X's), but if it was just Tweets, Facebook campaigns etc then it was a mere drop compared to the resources behind Project Fear!

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Such a stupid comment that it hurts. The Tory high command were almost all Remainers.

They were at the time. Now not so much.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They were at the time. Now not so much.
True but irrelevant to this discussion.

The claim is that in 2016, the Tory Party led by David Cameron commissioned Cambridge Analytica to engineer a Brexit win whilst simultaneously using all his influence to get the US President and the Governor of the Bank of England to support a Remain win.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
To be fair, big spending Conservative party donors also doshed to CA. Those donors are very much part of the Party and government.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To be fair, big spending Conservative party donors also doshed to CA. Those donors are very much part of the Party and government.
Not with regards to referendum campaigning. All the instruments of government were for a Remain vote. Any one supporting a Brexit vote was working against the Government line and the Tory elite.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A Tory Party call by Remainer Tories led by the PM who gambled everything on a Remain vote. For every senior Tory in the Brexit camp there were 4 senior Tories in the Remain camp including the PM, the Chancellor, the Treasury Minister and the Home Secretary.

The Tories roped in Barack Obama and the Governor of the Bank of England into their campaign. They used public funds to send pro-Remain literature to every household in Britain. To claim that the Tories ran the Brexit campaign is disingenuous scollobs when they were far more active as a party in Remain. The support for Brexit amongst Tories was far more grassroots.

How's that for starters?

The claim is that the Tories as a party or as the Government, commissioned Cambridge Analytica to engineer a Brexit win. Bearing in mind all the above is it at all likely that this happened?

No, I queried you calling the claim so stupid it hurts. The Brexit campaign was led by key Tory ministers, not the majority, but key Tory figures who have gone on to hold key government positions. The, from what I could see, satirical comment by [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION], was to suggest this letter is about those relevant Tories (the claim wasn't that specific, but it could be inferred) were seeing if they got value for money.

I just don't see that as a stupid comment. Not sure your reasoning thereafter has made that point at all.

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Not with regards to referendum campaigning. All the instruments of government were for a Remain vote. Any one supporting a Brexit vote was working against the Government line and the Tory elite.

You don't think that these donors to CA are closely tied to the Tories?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No, I queried you calling the claim so stupid it hurts. The Brexit campaign was led by key Tory ministers, not the majority, but key Tory figures who have gone on to hold key government positions. The, from what I could see, satirical comment by [MENTION=6678]severnside gull[/MENTION], was to suggest this letter is about those relevant Tories (the claim wasn't that specific, but it could be inferred) were seeing if they got value for money.

I just don't see that as a stupid comment. Not sure your reasoning thereafter has made that point at all.

Well.. I suppose if you're the type of person who believes what you've just written then it wouldn't be stupid.

I, and others in this thread, have read it as I've already explained rather than the convoluted hidden meaning you've concocted. I'll also add for context that Severnside Gull, to my knowledge has never previously expressed a nuanced opinion about the Tories beyond "Tory = all bad".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You don't think that these donors to CA are closely tied to the Tories?
Of course they are. But with regards to funding a Brexit campaign they were clearly working against the full weight of government machinations and so you can't say that they were part of a government campaign and given Cameron, Osborne et al, neither were they part of a Tory campaign.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Three posts to turn this into a Brexit thread :lolol:

el punal

Brexit was the democratic majority vote of the nation surely? Like it or not, of all the people that voted the majority voted to leave. Having said that, an enormous number who could have voted didn’t, and a large percentage of those were young people who in the main (according to surveys conducted at the time) were remainers. Had they got off their arses, or out of bed, and exercised their democratic right (some would say privilege) there could well have been a different outcome.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Brexit was the democratic majority vote of the nation surely? Like it or not, of all the people that voted the majority voted to leave. Having said that, an enormous number who could have voted didn’t, and a large percentage of those were young people who in the main (according to surveys conducted at the time) were remainers. Had they got off their arses, or out of bed, and exercised their democratic right (some would say privilege) there could well have been a different outcome.

And that is relevant to my point about a previous post not being 'so stupid it hurts' how?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here