Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] One billion

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As long as I can remember, the generally accepted definition of a billion has been 1,000 million. However, I'm fairly sure the original British definition of a billion was a million million. Does anybody ever still use that definition? Did anyone here use it in the past?

It seems a pretty pointlessly high number to me.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was under the impression that it was:
UK 1000 million

US, 1,000,000 million

But I might be wrong!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We changed to match the US, didn't we?

Either way, it's 1000 million.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've always thought it to be 1,000 million.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As long as I can remember, the generally accepted definition of a billion has been 1,000 million. However, I'm fairly sure the original British definition of a billion was a million million. Does anybody ever still use that definition? Did anyone here use it in the past?

You bored mate?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

You are correct, I remember when a 'billion' was a million million. The US used the 1,000 million definition and to make things more understandable we adopted theirs. (And a million million became a trillion - also the US definition). Usual howls of outrage about the decline of British imperial power etc, but at least everybody now sings from the same hymn sheet.

EDIT: Apparently it was in 1974 the Harold Wilson confirmed that we would now be using the American definitions of billion/trillion as it had been getting a bit confusing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We changed to match the US, didn't we?

Either way, it's 1000 million.
Well, yes. That was the whole point of my post.

I've always thought it to be 1,000 million.
Me too.

You bored mate?
Yes

You are correct, I remember when a 'billion' was a million million. The US used the 1,000 million definition and to make things more understandable we adopted theirs. (And a million million became a trillion - also the US definition). Usual howls of outrage about the decline of British imperial power etc, but at least everybody now sings from the same hymn sheet.
Can we tackle GALLONS next? Although I think I'd prefer to do away with imperial completely.

[/triggaaar]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No it's the other way round. The American version is completely illogical.

not sure if logic comes into words, US version is far more useful, unless maybe counting grains of sand.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

EDIT: Apparently it was in 1974 the Harold Wilson confirmed that we would now be using the American definitions of billion/trillion as it had been getting a bit confusing.

Yes, I can remember us changing, but not when. So basically, it's us oldies who remember the old definition, but the next generation who can only remember the US version.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
not sure if logic comes into words, US version is far more useful, unless maybe counting grains of sand.

Of course it does, a new word is introduced when needed, as in 1 million, 10 million, 100 million... 100 thousand million, 1 billion... 100 million billion... 1 trillion etc.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well, yes. That was the whole point of my post.

Me too.

Yes

Can we tackle GALLONS next? Although I think I'd prefer to do away with imperial completely.

[/triggaaar]

At least we still have chains, and furlongs, and will do as long as we have cricket and horse racing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm reliably informed by Diane Abbott that the answer is 17.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here