Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Credit Card "Fraud"

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Let's see what NSC makes of this one.

About 6 weeks ago, on a busy weekend, I placed an online shopping order with Ocado. I hadn't used them for months, but I just thought it would be convenient. When you place the order they run a verified by visa check, but don't actually take the money until the day before.

Well the day before delivery I get an Email from Ocado telling me my payment has been declined and my order cancelled. Thinking I may have had an old card details somewhere, I put the whole thing through again, checked carefully and got the same result. I have a low spend to limit ratio, so no problems there. In the end I gave up and went to Lidl and they refused my card as well, so I had to pay with my debit card.

A day later Nationwide contacted me to say my card was blocked and a replacement would be sent out and a week later a replacement turned up new number etc.

Not a big deal, except it bloody happened again this weekend. Nationwide are hiding behind computer says no and if we told you we would have to kill you nonsense and at the second attempt to get hold of someone in the fraud team, who actually knows there arse from their elbow, I was advised to try it with another card.

I pointed out that they must have thousands of card users who shop at Ocado and that they were advising me to take my business elsewhere, but still nothing but a brick wall.

Let's hope things work out better with my new credit card provider TSB (only kidding on that one!)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suspect your card has been cloned, and they have detected multiple, obviously fraudulent uses so they have blocked it. Not particularly unusual but they’d usually explain this if you could actually speak to an adult.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Suspect your card has been cloned, and they have detected multiple, obviously fraudulent uses so they have blocked it. Not particularly unusual but they’d usually explain this if you could actually speak to an adult.

Shouldn't happen twice in two months, different cards triggered by the same retailer transaction. On neither occasion was there any suspect transactions put through.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shouldn't happen twice in two months, different cards triggered by the same retailer transaction. On neither occasion was there any suspect transactions put through.

You may not always know about suspect transactions -quite often they’re stopped before they get seen by the cardholder.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I had a similar issue, about 2 years ago, when I used my my CC on iTunes, to purchase some tunes.
Later on Nationwide contacted me, to inform of some dodgy usage.
Mysteriously I'd spent some money in Thailand, as that's where the fraud was traced to.
I'm surprised of their attitude, as they helped me out brilliantly.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You may not always know about suspect transactions -quite often they’re stopped before they get seen by the cardholder.

In the three hours on a Saturday afternoon between my card being accepted for beer in the Old Star and my Ocado order being declined, there was clearly a mass of activity.

Over the years I have had maybe half a dozen fraud queries against various cards and I can usually get some sort of a logical explanation, but this is too much of a coincidence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've experienced similar with Nationwide visa credit card several times over the last three years.

One extreme to another. They used to be a soft touch for crooks.

Now they block a card for the slightest 'reason', requiring a tedious long phone call to them.

I make sure they're not the only card with me, just in case.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
After your second Ocado attempt why didn't you contact Nationwide at that point?

I did this weekend, but previously this was the first time I had experienced the Nationwide Service. I was with Smile for many years and anything suspicious on your account and phones would start ringing immediately. As long as you passed security and could verify the transactions, your card wasn't blocked.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
After your second Ocado attempt why didn't you contact Nationwide at that point?

As soon as you have any disruption using your card, the issuer should be trying to contact you - it shouldn't be the other way around. If it is, then it's poor form from the Issuer.

I would imagine that there were charges attempted on the card which were declined by the Issuer, and that's the ultimate reason behind the replacement of the card - but they should communicate it better to a card holder.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get it sometimes with my Virgin Atlantic Amex card. In all cases if I then get out the Virgin Atlantic Visa card issued on the same account (given so you have a card if a merchant doesn't take Amex) the transaction goes through.

I have no idea why, but this has reminded me to give them a call and ask.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
M&S blocked our joint card advising suspicious transaction, when buying a replacement Hoover from Argus

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Credit Card "Fraud"

I get it sometimes with my Virgin Atlantic Amex card. In all cases if I then get out the Virgin Atlantic Visa card issued on the same account (given so you have a card if a merchant doesn't take Amex) the transaction goes through.

I have no idea why, but this has reminded me to give them a call and ask.

Because Amex and Visa will have different security measures in place at any point in time ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because Amex and Visa will have different security measures in place at any point in time ?

Maybe. Maybe not.

There have been fines where I’ve used it in one shop fine and it’s been declined minutes later in another and both being relatively low value transactions with UK merchants that I’ve used before.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Credit Card "Fraud"

Maybe. Maybe not.

There have been fines where I’ve used it in one shop fine and it’s been declined minutes later in another and both being relatively low value transactions with UK merchants that I’ve used before.

The companies flex their thresholds/criteria all the time, and real-time, and have done for at least 30 years. If the crims knew the criteria were fixed, it would be very easy to work within them. Variations are applied through transaction limits, retailers, locations, types of retailers, currencies, time of day etc etc.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whenever I get a declined transaction on line I always ring my card provider to seek the reason.

This has in the past resulted in the refusal being over-ridden as I could verify it was a genuine transaction

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
M&S blocked our joint card advising suspicious transaction, when buying a replacement Hoover from Argus

I could have sold you mine as it’s been gathering dust for years now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here