Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
  1. #21
    Members sheebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20,638


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was there. And Swansea were comfortably the worst home team I have personally seen in any division. Would have been a travesty if they had got a point.
    Their set pieces and overall play that day were atrocious. Those stats donít tell the story as is often the way.
    Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, thatís it. We have done it.

    Inigo Calderon
    May 2016

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Hughton's tactics away from home this season have resulted in us failing to score in many games and produced a lot of scruffy, ugly affairs. Today was no exception. Next season needs a re-think and an upgrade in positivity. Away fans will only tolerate so many turgid performances before they start being more selective in games attended.
      Dyche isn't exactly the most adventurous manager, but he is positively gung-ho compared to Hughton who has always been a risk-averse operator and, in my opinion, over-cautious - especially away from home. He was the same at Norwich.

      I reckon you would probably have won the 2015/16 Championship if Hughton had been more adventurous away from home. How many draws? Double figures? Even in home games, he tended to put the emphasis on protecting a lead once gained (1-0, 2-1).

      Burnley were pretty awful and negative away from home last season but Dyche realised he had to be more tactically flexible this season and we've actually picked up more away points than home points (28-26).
    • #23
      British and Proud spence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Non EU
      Posts
      9,018


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Hughton's tactics away from home this season have resulted in us failing to score in many games and produced a lot of scruffy, ugly affairs. Today was no exception. Next season needs a re-think and an upgrade in positivity. Away fans will only tolerate so many turgid performances before they start being more selective in games attended.
      Spot on.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      But then again, we did very little in the game and it would have been our own fault if the home side had nicked a late goal.
      This.

      Sadly @Neville's Breakfast thinks differently. Obviously he likes spending lots and lots of money travelling the UK and watching that shit.

      As you say, things need to improve next season for away fans. He can be forgiven this season as it's our debut season and it's all about staying up.
      GET BREXIT DONE
    • #24
      Members Simster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Surrey
      Posts
      49,175


      2 Not allowed!
      I suspect we need to be more clinical at home before Hughton considers a more attacking philosophy away. Burnley were exactly the same last year, where they stayed up purely because of their home form. We are turgid away because we haven't been clinical enough at home IMO. I suspect Hughton thinks of the bigger picture and the effect on morale of dropping two silly points at home followed by a morale sapping 4-0 thumping away. Instead, we drop points at home and he looks to grab a point away and reduce the damage. Even a narrow defeat under those circumstances isn't then soul destroying.

      Anyway, we do need an upgrade up front in order to change our home fortunes (and keep Murray as a 3rd option because he does have some great qualities).
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
    • #25
      Il Pirata Pantani's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Newcastle
      Posts
      5,410


      0 Not allowed!
      I think a huge part of the problem is our lack of pace in central areas. When we break Murray, or Ulloa, will look to come short to offer themselves for the pass, Gross will do similar and not look to break beyond Murray. That only leaves Izquierdo looking to get beyond the striker, Knocky and March are not particular quick, Propper and Stephens are not quick either and certainly do not look to run forward. So some of it is Hughton's tactics but a huge amount is due to the players available, and the style those players play in. A quick central midfielder would be hugely useful to us in the future.
      It's probably nice to be Olympic champion. Like winning Gent-Wevelgem or something.
    • #26

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kalimantan Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was there. And Swansea were comfortably the worst home team I have personally seen in any division. Would have been a travesty if they had got a point.
      That Swansea performance was the worst I have seen by any side this season.
    • #27
      Members el punal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!
      Posts
      7,974


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Hughton's tactics away from home this season have resulted in us failing to score in many games and produced a lot of scruffy, ugly affairs. Today was no exception. Next season needs a re-think and an upgrade in positivity. Away fans will only tolerate so many turgid performances before they start being more selective in games attended.
      Thatís a bit harsh. We have always known - the club, the team, the fans - that this was going to be a season of survival. Do that and then be more ambitious for next season. Donít forget that most pundits had us and Huddersfield as absolute relegation certs. On that basis many possible new signings would have been reluctant to join us if we were considered to be going straight back down. I think Chris Hughton has just about got it right. Be pragmatic, gain a solid, gritty draw - one point gained, then a gung-ho letís go for it attack fest and lose - no points.

      Admittedly throughout the season there have been games that we controlled, dominated even, but did not press home the advantage. Newcastle (away) and Huddersfield (home) spring to mind. Some games where we played well but didnít get the desired result Man Utd and Stoke, both away.

      The fact is weíre on a gigantic learning curve. We havenít been in the top flight since 1983 therefore we have had to adapt very quickly to keep our heads above water. I reckon weíve just about done that with a solid draw at Burnley. Not pretty but needs must.
    • #28
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Cumbria
      Posts
      3,400


      0 Not allowed!
      The co-commentator on the stream I was watching mentioned our away record a couple of times, along with comments like 'it's simply not good enough', and so on. But - although we might not like the seeming lack of adventure away from home, it can't really be denied that it has been good enough. We're staying up, and looking quite good.
    • #29
      Members Bold Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      22,902


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Dyche isn't exactly the most adventurous manager, but he is positively gung-ho compared to Hughton who has always been a risk-averse operator and, in my opinion, over-cautious - especially away from home. He was the same at Norwich.

      I reckon you would probably have won the 2015/16 Championship if Hughton had been more adventurous away from home. How many draws? Double figures? Even in home games, he tended to put the emphasis on protecting a lead once gained (1-0, 2-1).

      Burnley were pretty awful and negative away from home last season but Dyche realised he had to be more tactically flexible this season and we've actually picked up more away points than home points (28-26).
      Sorry, but people don't half like to re-write history. We were joint top scorers with Burnley in 2016 with 72. M'Boro pipped us on GD having scored 9 less. We conceded 11 more than M'Boro, and 7 more than Burnley – not the stats of a negative side. We also had a better away record that M'Boro and scored 32 goals away from home, only Burnley & Brentford scored more. No doubt we drew too many, but you are wrong and its a misconception that Hughton was negative in the Championship. From nearly being relegated we scored 146 goals in 92 games.
    • #30
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      34,182


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by lancyclaret View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Dyche isn't exactly the most adventurous manager, but he is positively gung-ho compared to Hughton who has always been a risk-averse operator and, in my opinion, over-cautious - especially away from home. He was the same at Norwich.

      I reckon you would probably have won the 2015/16 Championship if Hughton had been more adventurous away from home. How many draws? Double figures? Even in home games, he tended to put the emphasis on protecting a lead once gained (1-0, 2-1).

      Burnley were pretty awful and negative away from home last season but Dyche realised he had to be more tactically flexible this season and we've actually picked up more away points than home points (28-26).
      Your posts about football are nornally fair. You're incorrect IMO about CH last season. Our football brought many happy away days, thousands of us were there to witness it. Great counter attacking football.

      What you forget is that on paper we were up against clubs with bigger budgets and on-paper better players. At the beginning of that season, the pundits and bookies had us as squeezing into the playoffs at the very best. CH worked wonders in making us runawy top 2, with Newcastle. We never win at big spending Villa and Norwich, and so it proved to be. The might of Newcastle fairly took the title, and fairly as they'd also done the double over us.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •