Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I thought today would be the day we might win a close-fought game - but not to be...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I reckon all of our wins this season have come with us being clearly the better side. We haven't done a smash and grab yet where we were the worse side but got all 3 points, and we haven't won a close, hard-fought game where either side could have taken the points. In short, every one of our wins we fully deserved to win. Thought today might be different, but we keep waiting.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I reckon all of our wins this season have come with us being clearly the better side. We haven't done a smash and grab yet where we were the worse side but got all 3 points, and we haven't won a close, hard-fought game where either side could have taken the points. In short, every one of our wins we fully deserved to win. Thought today might be different, but we keep waiting.

Newcastle home.
/End thread.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I had an incling of that too, bit like [MENTION=28805]lancyclaret[/MENTION]s post. We are due an undeservered victory on the law of averages

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Swapping Murray for Ulloa then back to Murray again didn't help. :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

We’ve been having this same discussion for weeks on our coach. We’ve really not been very lucky this season at all. I also think we’ve deserved every win, and not win others we’ve deserved to win - like Leicester at home, Everton etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the Premier League. Wins are never handed to you on a plate.

If we want to win games like Burnley today we have to manage more than just one shot on target. That means taking some risks, and when you are in your first season in the Prem you literally can't afford to do that.

Look at Huddersfield's record of failing to score in 19 matches and that's with a manager that likes to play high-tempo football.

I fancy we'll stay up and this season will give Hughton a point of reference and something to build on.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Seeing as you've continued anyway, the issue has been that we're not in any way clinical.
Two missed penalties.
A lot of missed one-on-ones.
Blocking goalbound shots from our own team.

I'd like to know our chance-to-goal ratio.

But we've stayed up with consumate ease in our first season. And that's a top effort.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Swansea 0-1 Brighton

9B90D12A-6BFC-4ED6-9F3E-FDA998155B46.png

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ve been having this same discussion for weeks on our coach. We’ve really not been very lucky this season at all. I also think we’ve deserved every win, and not win others we’ve deserved to win - like Leicester at home, Everton etc.

Luck didn’t play a part in those 2 matches.

Most observers couldn’t believe how dim we were in the way we threw away the Everton lead.

Leicester @ home - Murray’s an unconvincing penalty taker, and so it proved to be. The last 20 minutes we were knackered (effects of a small squad of quality), the away team were even able to send Maguire up as an extra striker, bossed the ending and annoyingly grabbed all 3 pionts. We were masters of our own downfall.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hughton's tactics away from home this season have resulted in us failing to score in many games and produced a lot of scruffy, ugly affairs. Today was no exception. Next season needs a re-think and an upgrade in positivity. Away fans will only tolerate so many turgid performances before they start being more selective in games attended.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was there. And Swansea were comfortably the worst home team I have personally seen in any division. Would have been a travesty if they had got a point.

But then again, we did very little in the game and it would have been our own fault if the home side had nicked a late goal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The realy frustrating thing about today was that when we did break quickly we lacked ambition and slowed it down allowing Burnley to get back in strength. Really wound me up, it was a good point but with a bit of belief we could have put this season to bed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The realy frustrating thing about today was that when we did break quickly we lacked ambition and slowed it down allowing Burnley to get back in strength. Really wound me up, it was a good point but with a bit of belief we could have put this season to bed.

and yet I can't say the same thing. :jester: :lol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

This belief can only come from the management. We go into too many away games with a " must not lose " or a " must not lose heavily " attitude. It curbs freedom, expression and individuality. You see us breaking forward but then the brakes go on, as if players are thinking..." oh, hang on, mustn't be too ambitious here " It is frustrating, as we have players who are comfortable on the ball going forward. As CH has quite rightly targetted winnable home games, I believe that there needs to be a more positive attitude toward winnable away games next season. Too many times we have settled for a point this season when at least two or three away games were there for the winning.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Luck didn’t play a part in those 2 matches.

Most observers couldn’t believe how dim we were in the way we threw away the Everton lead.

Leicester @ home - Murray’s an unconvincing penalty taker, and so it proved to be. The last 20 minutes we were knackered (effects of a small squad of quality), the away team were even able to send Maguire up as an extra striker, bossed the ending and annoyingly grabbed all 3 pionts. We were masters of our own downfall.

I didn’t say we were unlucky in them - you’re quite right, we were stupid in one and didn’t put away our chances in the other. I do feel we’ve had some shit luck in terms of other matches though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here