Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A Night out in Burnley

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Two things are obvious on this site.

1. Brighton fans hate stereotyping. As soon as anyone mentions two or more Brighton gentlemen of certain persuasions carrying out legal activities in private, the site goes mental about discrimination.
2. Brighton fans love stereotyping. As soon as anyone mentions people from the north, out come the unimaginative knee-jerks about whippets, black pudding, clogs, UKIP, and of course illegal incest.

Why is this?

I don't think you should make sweeping generalisations. You'll get into trouble.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
As a Liverpool-born (Anfield area), Midlands-based (Sutton Coldfield) Burnley fan, I have only ever been to Brighton once. It was a three-day Easter rugby tour in 1981.

If I remember correctly, it was the year Britain's FIRST nudist beach opened in Brighton. I have nothing against "gay" men (each to their own) but, apart from when I was on a journalist course in London, the only time a male complete stranger tried to "chat me up" was that Easter 1981 in Brighton.

I remember a few of us racing down to the "nudist beach" from our seafront hotel in the hope of catching a glimpse of a few fit women. It was not very warm in April but we were still very disappointed when the only nudists were a couple of middle-aged men looking uncomfortable sitting on pebbles. Are there any sandy beaches in Brighton these days?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
People who say such things usually have a lazy mind; that's one of my favourite stereotypes.

Good for you, you educated, soft, liberal, politically correct, muesli hill dwelling trendy type. Well said.

Stereotypes evolved how exactly? Observation would be a sensible answer, then exaggeration takes over.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Good for you, you educated, soft, liberal, politically correct, muesli hill dwelling trendy type. Well said.

Stereotypes evolved how exactly? Observation would be a sensible answer, then exaggeration takes over.

Wait, sugar, have you been spying on me, or is this the exaggeration bit?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I have nothing against "gay" men (each to their own) but, apart from when I was on a journalist course in London, the only time a male complete stranger tried to "chat me up" was that Easter 1981 in Brighton.

It couldn't be that you're too ugly to be gay, could it ? :angel:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
As a Liverpool-born (Anfield area), Midlands-based (Sutton Coldfield) Burnley fan, I have only ever been to Brighton once. It was a three-day Easter rugby tour in 1981.

If I remember correctly, it was the year Britain's FIRST nudist beach opened in Brighton. I have nothing against "gay" men (each to their own) but, apart from when I was on a journalist course in London, the only time a male complete stranger tried to "chat me up" was that Easter 1981 in Brighton.

I remember a few of us racing down to the "nudist beach" from our seafront hotel in the hope of catching a glimpse of a few fit women. It was not very warm in April but we were still very disappointed when the only nudists were a couple of middle-aged men looking uncomfortable sitting on pebbles. Are there any sandy beaches in Brighton these days?

The nudist beach has always been a sad disappointment. However the advantage of a pebble beach is that there is no sand to get into your intimate nooks and crevasses, thereby spoiling (or increasing for some) your fun :blush: by rubbing your bits raw. :ohmy:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Two things are obvious on this site.

1. Brighton fans hate stereotyping. As soon as anyone mentions two or more Brighton gentlemen of certain persuasions carrying out legal activities in private, the site goes mental about discrimination.
2. Brighton fans love stereotyping. As soon as anyone mentions people from the north, out come the unimaginative knee-jerks about whippets, black pudding, clogs, UKIP, and of course illegal incest.

Why is this?

Can't really argue with this, tbf.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Thanks for sharing such golden memories. But you might be surprised to hear that there is a lot more to Brighton than a nudist beach (that no one goes to) and an accepting attitude to gay people. It might take more than 3 days in 1981 to say that you know the place. However, I spent 1 day in Burnley a few years ago and I reckon I do know the place; it has literally nothing going for it apart from a decent football team.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I got chatted up by a bloke in Brighton this week.

To be honest, I was rather flattered!

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for sharing such golden memories. But you might be surprised to hear that there is a lot more to Brighton than a nudist beach (that no one goes to) and an accepting attitude to gay people. It might take more than 3 days in 1981 to say that you know the place. However, I spent 1 day in Burnley a few years ago and I reckon I do know the place; it has literally nothing going for it apart from a decent football team.

Absolute bo//ocks...... there's a canal running through it and beer is dirt cheap aswell.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here