[Football] Most Inept Team

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
It was going so well at the start...

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The grauniad but I thought this was an amusing article ranking teams again different types of ineptitude. We are fourth with Watford oddly being the most Inept!

Predictably we do poorly for penalties, own goals, passing stats and yellows/reds. It also confirms my mates suggestion that we are awful at throw ins.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/27/the-premier-league-teams-ineptitude-index-2017-18

Not having that, been watching Palace for 45 years and I have never seen a palace throw in that has not either been lost straight to the opposition or bounced of a part of a player to then go for a throw to the other side !

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
4th place for most categories... except:

15th place for "Conceding a 90th minute (or later) winner; blowing a two-goal (or more) lead"

17th place for "Goalkeeping incompetence"

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Given that West Brom are near the bottom of the table, I think taking it with a pinch of salt would be to give it too much credit!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Given that West Brom are near the bottom of the table, I think taking it with a pinch of salt would be to give it too much credit!

To be fair, West Brom haven't really done much of anything this season other than beat us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
4th place for most categories... except:

15th place for "Conceding a 90th minute (or later) winner; blowing a two-goal (or more) lead"

17th place for "Goalkeeping incompetence"

Good job we have only gone two goals up a couple of times. And that Stoke missed that last minute penalty to beat us!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure about a league table that penalises teams for incompetence on the grounds of yellow cards for taking your shirts off after you've scored.

On the basis that you actually need to score a goal first in order to do this, surely this category actually rewards competence, not incompetence.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We must be the most incompetent at kick-offs - every bloody time, home or away we pass it back and then ping it out the left wing, where usually Murray (it's usually him) fails to get to it and it goes out for a throw in.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
I'm not sure about a league table that penalises teams for incompetence on the grounds of yellow cards for taking your shirts off after you've scored.

On the basis that you actually need to score a goal first in order to do this, surely this category actually rewards competence, not incompetence.

Depends if it leads to a suspension or sending off of a key player I guess, all about indiscipline though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We must be the most incompetent at kick-offs - every bloody time, home or away we pass it back and then ping it out the left wing, where usually Murray (it's usually him) fails to get to it and it goes out for a throw in.

One or two of them are probably making a FORTUNE through doing this on some far east betting syndicate.

#LeTiss

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Only viewed this as a bit of fun.

It seems strange that teams get penalty points for not scoring, but if you lose 5-1 you are not classed as incompetent

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One or two of them are probably making a FORTUNE through doing this on some far east betting syndicate.

#LeTiss

I just don't get why we do it.

We play considered football all game, with some periods of possession, close passing and the odd longer ball when appropriate, but from the kick off it's almost as if we just want to get rid of it. Could we just once try something else? How about giving the ball to Izzy, March or Knockaert and letting them run at the opposition.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Players know it is going to happen, it is one of the most stupid and therefore incompetent yellow cards you can get. I would have given Ronaldo a red card when he took his shirt off when he scored a penalty against Juve. And a kick in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here