Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A defeat is twice as bad as a win is good

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Same survey results, more detail:
https://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/are-football-fans-irrational

I can believe it, especially amongst adults, rather than care free, optimistic kids.

Supporters often talk of a loss ruining their weekend, and going for a self-imposed football media blackout for a couple of days, until the loss isn't mentioned/discussed any more. I see this looking at other clubs forums.

Whereas a win gives initial elation or relief, followed by a feel good factor.

But irrationality for many can make the former a stronger and more long lasting emotion.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
It surely depends who you’re playing. I’d say a win against Man City is several times better than a loss against them is bad. And I felt happy after we beat Arsenal for longer than I felt sad after we lost to Leicester. If that all makes sense.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
i saw ages ago, that if the local team won on a Saturday there was a 10% productivity boost on Monday, and a downturn if they lost. No idea if true or not though. I think it may be true of some of the more ardent fans, but for the average supporter I expect its a case of feeling good for a few hours or a bit pissed off for a couple hours or the evening if they lose

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
i saw ages ago, that if the local team won on a Saturday there was a 10% productivity boost on Monday, and a downturn if they lost. No idea if true or not though. I think it may be true of some of the more ardent fans, but for the average supporter I expect its a case of feeling good for a few hours or a bit pissed off for a couple hours or the evening if they lose

So, does that mean if Man Utd win on a Saturday, the productivity of offices in Surrey increases on the following Monday?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would have thought that this must depend on who you are playing, your position in the table and when in the season the game is being played.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It surely depends who you’re playing. I’d say a win against Man City is several times better than a loss against them is bad. And I felt happy after we beat Arsenal for longer than I felt sad after we lost to Leicester. If that all makes sense.

Nope, that all makes perfect sense!

However the 'defeat is twice as bad' is true when you're pushing for promotion. In those circumstances a win is expected, it's routine, and almost like an addict getting a fix the single 'hit' is never enough - you need more! A defeat on the other hand is an utter disaster, momentum is stalled and you can feel the prize of promotion slipping away as your rivals take advantage of your misfortune.. It takes two or three more wins for you to feel that you're back on track.

el punal

Of course it makes sense. Arsenal are one of the “big six”, so for the Albion to get one point, let alone three, against a side expected to batter us is going to rate a lot higher on the feel good factor scale than, say, wins against West Brom or Swansea.

So come five o’clock on Saturday I hope to be celebrating at Turf Moor. Why? Because if we get a point, or three, or if other results go our way, we will be in the Premier League next season. And that situation might not occur if we hadn’t put in that marvellous performance against Arsenal.

This now leads onto the three remaining fixtures against Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool. I am fortunate (privileged) to be able to watch all of these games. To be able to do so, hopefully without my bum squeaking with anxiety, that the Albion can be more relaxed and do an “Arsenal” in all three matches. Now that really would mean feeling happy for a long, long time.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I think you only have to come on NSC after a defeat to confirm that!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here