Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There’s something about Glenn Murray...

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
So now Murray-fandom has died down a bit, what do we all think? How does he fit into the squad next season?

Personally Murray’s age doesn’t bother me, he’s never been quick and has an intelligence that means could offer something for a few years.

He’s still our best striker and Locadia is young and a long term investment rather than first 11 just yet. So unless we get someone in the summer window, which this last season has proved hard I think he’ll start next season and that doesn’t worry me at all...

Thoughts?

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
I love GM obvs but if we're going to progress (assuming we stay up) we need some pace up front - especially away from home to try and hit people on the break.

I'd expect to see a lot more of Locadia next season in the striker role, possibly 50/50 with Muzza depending on who's in form and the nature of the game in question.

Tweeting Seagull

Mar 27, 2018
I love GM obvs but if we're going to progress (assuming we stay up) we need some pace up front - especially away from home to try and hit people on the break.

I'd expect to see a lot more of Locadia next season in the striker role, possibly 50/50 with Muzza depending on who's in form and the nature of the game in question.

Murray at home and Locadia away is an option?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless we buy a younger, better Murray-type this summer and we should, he'll start plenty of PL games next season (should we stay up).

I also think we need to buy a younger, better Murray type in the summer! You have to keep moving forward even to stand still I this game - and age is a factor. Even if he wasn't the fastest mover ever, it's not just your legs that slow down with age - so do reflexes. I'm not saying he couldn't do a job next season - but I really hope it's as a useful sub and back up striker rather than being our no.1. And that's with no disrespect to Glenn, who's done a great job this season.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Reckon he'll have a big part to play. Maybe less starts but sub appearances and cup games

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I also think we need to buy a younger, better Murray type in the summer! You have to keep moving forward even to stand still I this game - and age is a factor. Even if he wasn't the fastest mover ever, it's not just your legs that slow down with age - so do reflexes. I'm not saying he couldn't do a job next season - but I really hope it's as a useful sub and back up striker rather than being our no.1. And that's with no disrespect to Glenn, who's done a great job this season.

Good post.

In the PL, Hughton (like most managers) likes to play with just one proper striker. I haven't seen anything yet of Locadia that he can be that one - holding the ball up, battling against giant centre halves. Perhaps another role for Locadia?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Unless we buy a younger, better Murray-type this summer and we should, he'll start plenty of PL games next season (should we stay up).

if he stays fit. i think we've been fortunate to get so many games out of him this year.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
if he stays fit. i think we've been fortunate to get so many games out of him this year.

True. I think we've been lucky with injuries this season in general, especially when you look at the long term injury crises at some other clubs. Long injury spells for Dunk, Gross, Propper for example .... may well have been enough to been enough to tip us into the relegation zone. If we stay up, the squad will strengthened across the board.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Hope Locadia can learn a lot from GM and then slowly take over the starting role during next season.
Of all the things Locadia can learn from Murray I really don't think Murray's slowness is an aspect of his game that Locadia should be so keen to emulate.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
GM has been great, he has stayed fit, scored goals, worked hard for the team - we really couldn't have asked anymore from him, and he has probably had one of his best seasons of football in his career. Fantastic.

That said, there is little doubt that the summer needs to be a busy one again to improve the side for next season, and the stats don't lie, we need to score more goals. Jury is out on Locadia at the moment, as we haven't seen much of him and he may well come good, but at least 1 winger and a striker I would have thought top the shopping list.

GM will still have a big role to play I think, but we need to go into next season without the reliance on him we've had.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Murray's said himself that he expects to be used more as a Crouch-type impact sub as he gets older. And he'd be brilliant at that too. But if you try to find upgraded Murray v2.0 (younger and quicker) then we're talking £50m.

Can we mould Viktor Gyorkes into a Murray replacement?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
GB has been great, he has stayed fit, scored goals, worked hard for the team - we really couldn't have asked anymore from him, and he has probably had one of his best seasons of football in his career. Fantastic.

That said, there is little doubt that the summer needs to be a busy one again to improve the side for next season, and the stats don't lie, we need to score more goals. Jury is out on Locadia at the moment, as we haven't seen much of him and he may well come good, but at least 1 winger and a striker I would have thought top the shopping list.

GB will still have a big role to play I think, but we need to go into next season without the reliance on him we've had.

Graham Barrett? Guy Butters?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Good post.

In the PL, Hughton (like most managers) likes to play with just one proper striker. I haven't seen anything yet of Locadia that he can be that one - holding the ball up, battling against giant centre halves. Perhaps another role for Locadia?

To be fair to Locadia, he has been given no opportunity to show what he could do in the central / lone striker role!!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Unless we have another mess like last summer in not getting a striker in, then Glenn will be an impact sub by all accounts.

If he is still our main striker come the first game next season (if we stay up) then the recruitment team have had a stinker!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here