NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
My Dad hates him.

Your turn to review the reviewer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I enjoy the film review and I'm disappointed when it's not him and SM hosting it. That "church" nonsense though makes me feel quite nauseous.

7.9/10

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I likes the films he likes and hates the films he despises (the few that I've seen). I trust him judgement in terms of recommendations. I've read a few of his books and hear his voice when I'm reading them, albeit somewhat slower.
"Now here's the thing" isn't a bad catch phrase.
Broadly in favour.
8/10

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I like him, does that me I hate your dad?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't hate him - for all I know he might be a perfectly nice bloke, and he's certainly never done me any harm - but I can't stand listening to him. Straight for the off switch in a hurry!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you go to Hertford Jr?

School in East Sussex, oh please. No wonder he grew up to hate things.

This thread proving once again how considerably more cultured it is in Better Sussex.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Always worth listening to Kermode and Mayo on 5 Live. I almost always agree with him, and he is excellent at what he does. Can't see how anyone can 'hate' him.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Always worth listening to Kermode and Mayo on 5 Live. I almost always agree with him, and he is excellent at what he does. Can't see how anyone can 'hate' him.

He can be very opinionated.

I could see why people might call him the Robbie Savage of movie reviews. I don't mind him personally. Just curious.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Pros: very, very cine-literate, loves the art form, generally unbiased about his reviews (but see horror in cons), articulate, faintly amusing, forms a good double act with Mayo, unafraid to call a stinker a stinker. Most of all - I like most of the films he does, and dislike the ones he dislikes. So much so, it’s now rare that I’ll bother with a film that he’s caned.

Cons: Has an idiosyncratic positive opinion of all horror movies (even the bad ones don’t get panned as badly as sex in the city 2), has a ridiculously positive opinion about Silent Running, a bit too full of himself.

9/10

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I file him under "media people I don't like much for reasons so vague I can't quite articulate them".

Simon Mayo is in the same category so for me their double-act is unlistenable.

Probably a lovely bloke, very knowledgeable, etc etc etc.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He's very good at what he does and I just read one of his books while on holiday which was well written, funny and very informative. I trust his judgement on films more than most critics and he seems like an intelligent and decent chap. It's a "not got a problem with him" from me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here