Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing Petition

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I have mentioned this a couple of times on here already on random threads, but figured I'd dedicate a thread if you missed it - seems to be gathering serious momentum and currently up to almost 83 thousand signatures. Strange, as there have been better worded ones in the past without nearly as much attention, but I guess the recent West Brom rejection has alerted people.

Please sign below if you believe rules against standing at football matches should be relaxed in dedicated (safe-standing) areas:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

Currently we are behind both Pompey and Croydon in signatures.. shameful. Sort it out, esp the west side of Sussex :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I noticed a tweet from the NSK about this, which reads:

"If you haven't already signed this please do. It is irrefutable that #SafeStanding is safer than the current situation in most football stadiums."

I am genuinely curious as to what it is that "irrefutably" makes safe standing safer than the current situation.

For the record, I'd have no objection to it being introduced if done properly, and can fully understand why people would prefer it in terms of atmosphere, it's just the "irrefutably safer" that I'm unsure about.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I noticed a tweet from the NSK about this, which reads:

"If you haven't already signed this please do. It is irrefutable that #SafeStanding is safer than the current situation in most football stadiums."

I am genuinely curious as to what it is that "irrefutably" makes safe standing safer than the current situation.

For the record, I'd have no objection to it being introduced if done properly, and can fully understand why people would prefer it in terms of atmosphere, it's just the "irrefutably safer" that I'm unsure about.

You have a set position with a bar to lean on where it is not possible for sways forward or backward. The current situation we all stand in seated areas where it is quite easy to trip over the seat in front, or get pushed into doing so amidst celebrations. At craven cottage last year I spent a good 5mins trying to get back to my 'seat' whilst looking for my old man's glasses.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You have a set position with a bar to lean on where it is not possible for sways forward or backward. The current situation we all stand in seated areas where it is quite easy to trip over the seat in front, or get pushed into doing so amidst celebrations. At craven cottage last year I spent a good 5mins trying to get back to my 'seat' whilst looking for my old man's glasses.
Got it.

Would it make a difference to capacity, as in would one seat equal one safe standing space?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Got it.

Would it make a difference to capacity, as in would one seat equal one safe standing space?

It can be 1:1, 1:1.5 or 1:2 as far as I know. When our club started discussing it they were talking about the 1:1 rail seating so yes one seat = one place to stand. Other clubs may choose differently to increase capacities.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
seems to be gathering serious momentum and currently up to almost 83 thousand signatures.

But if just take fans of PL and Championship clubs, based on average attendances this season thats 83,000 out of 1,249,544 without taking in wider fanbase, so only 6.6% of fans who have signed the petition. So it just seems to be a vocal minority that are pushing this. On these figures I can't see the Government changing anything

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't want to stand up (old,fat,bad feet) but I have signed anyway as people who want the choice should be allowed it.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
But if just take fans of PL and Championship clubs, based on average attendances this season thats 83,000 out of 1,249,544 without taking in wider fanbase, so only 6.6% of fans who have signed the petition. So it just seems to be a vocal minority that are pushing this. On these figures I can't see the Government changing anything

We are not trying to change entire stadiums to safe-standing, only a small part. This petition alone justifies that small part and the principle of having a choice even before we delve into the fact that it is actually safer than what goes on and will continue to go on in it's current state. You are also assuming that everybody who wants/agrees with safe-standing has signed this petition already. It's been ongoing for less than a fortnight and runs until 8th June.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I don’t want to stand up(old, fattish, bad legs and feet) but have signed anyway as unthinking people who want to stand often stand in front of me and ruin the game for me. And people should have the choice, and designated standing areas seem safe everywhere they are allowed. Can we have a petition allowing the return of smelly bogs?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why does it not make sense.

It totally does make sense. There's just a few people who think that if safe standing came back it might inconvenience them. Perhaps it might a bit if their ST was in an area to be returned to standing - but that'll only be a relative few, and they'll just have to move. As most of us have to adjust when changes don't actually fit in with what we personally want.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
agree very strange. i have a decent seat (view) so would not stand in north stand but might do it the cup games (as I did Coventry) and it certainly feels better for away games.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Hope this gets through. Keep it real.
The north could incorporate this easily with some seat as well, would do wonders.

Signed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here