Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Why do people want to sell him?

Because, as others have pointed out, it’s every footballers’ dream to play at Elland Road, and we’re just a small time outfit in comparison. Plus, Ben would probably be stacking shelves at the local Aldi if it wasn’t for the genius of Bielsa, who’s taken a lad who’d never even kicked a ball in his life before to a world class defender in just four days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why do people want to sell him?
I believe it's because they still support a small club, a club who would drop it's draws to the likes of Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea and Leeds.

Imagine the queue of cars parked outside Withdean if those clubs were sniffing around Colin Hawkins, with money to burn.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We paid £20m for Adam Webster from a championship club and whilst he is good has never attracted the attention White has. Therefore the idea we would then sell White to Chelsea for £25m is simply ridiculous.

The club know what he could be worth in the crazy market for central defenders and what it would cost to replace his potential which is miles from the numbers being banded around.

I think we will see him play and develop for us and the big boys can pay what he is worth when his potential has been reached not get him on the cheap now

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Just confirmation of the Sun story here (it must be true obviously):

“Frank Lampard’s scouts are raving about the 22-year-old Brighton centre-half, who is starring on loan at high-flying Leeds this season.

Lamps will make a big offer for White as he looks for an extra defender now Chelsea have been cleared to spend after their Fifa transfer ban was cut.

White has been a huge hit for Leeds with his skilful, ice-cool displays as they storm the Championship.

Chelsea have been watching him regularly and insiders reveal they are convinced he is worth buying — and is the main alternative to old boy Nathan Ake at Bournemouth.

Brighton do not want to lose White but a £25million offer may make it hard to resist, especially as he would also be tempted by a move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are so serious about White that they see him going into their first team quickly.

He can also play in the Champions League — a large incentive.

The Seagulls planned to leave White at Leeds for the season before bringing him back to play.

But it has turned into a shop window for his talents and caused a massive headache.

Ake, 24, is the alternative and it may come down to price. Blues have first call on the Dutchman, available for £40m.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10553083/chelsea-january-switch-ben-white-leeds-brighton/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Just confirmation of the Sun story here (it must be true obviously):
Brighton do not want to lose White but a £25million offer may make it hard to resist

What lazy journalism, check facts please we just spent 20 million on a 24 year old defender, building a youthful approach here at the Albion, what makes them think we are desperate for 25 million pounds....

Oh yeah, poor little Brighton...

PIss off Sun, and Chelsea can do one aswell

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
A) There is no chance Chelsea are winning the CL this season.
B) I don’t think they will finish top 4 so they won’t be in it next season.
Their new manager bounce is showing signs of wearing off, last two games they’ve lost at Everton and at home to Bournemouth, those are two terrible results for them. Worse they have looked gash in both games.

If they really want White then a straight swap with Abrahams would be OK, nothing less.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
A) There is no chance Chelsea are winning the CL this season.
B) I don’t think they will finish top 4 so they won’t be in it next season.
Their new manager bounce is showing signs of wearing off, last two games they’ve lost at Everton and at home to Bournemouth, those are two terrible results for them. Worse they have looked gash in both games.

If they really want White then a straight swap with Abrahams would be OK, nothing less.

Indeed, Lampard has been fortunate in inheriting costly squads at Derby and Chelsea and really isn’t all that, just ask Southend United’s Sol Campbell.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see in the Guardian that Norwich are asking for £50m for Godfrey. If that's the going rate for a young centre-back then White must be something near that - £25 is laughable

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I note that this story has been fabricated, sorry, written, by Alan Nixon, the self-styled 'boss of goss'. His dart-throwing hit rate is about 1 percent.

I also love the idea that White's success at Leeds is 'a massive headache'. Yes, having so much talent on our books is a real worry.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I also love the idea that White's success at Leeds is 'a massive headache'. Yes, having so much talent on our books is a real worry.

Actually, it is. I'd rather he helped any other club than Leeds get promoted. For this reason, I'd quite like Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U to make an offer that we can't refuse in Jan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Actually, it is. I'd rather he helped any other club than Leeds get promoted. For this reason, I'd quite like Chelsea, Liverpool or Man U to make an offer that we can't refuse in Jan.
Why? If he helps them get promoted they still can't keep him, That'll upset them, so that should make you happy. :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

My mother was from Leeds so I can't agree with you. But if White helps them get promoted then returns to us, they've already got a huge problem in trying to replace him. So you should be happy about that.

On a related subject, football dislikes are very different, aren't they? So many people seem to want anyone but Liverpool to win the title but I'd have no problem with that at all. For me there are deep-seated hatreds which will never change (Manchester United, Portsmouth) and temporary dislikes which depend on recent or current annoyances (PLB, Reading, Southampton).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here