Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben White Signs new deal

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Grant Hall was fantastically overrated, we did well to get so much for him.

Adam Hinshelwood was arguably the best of our crop of centre backs. If he didn't have so many injuries, he would comfortably have played in the Championship, if not the Premier League. He was very classy on the ball, a strong tackler and good in the air. He had it all, apart from knees.

And what an own goal against Colchester. :bowdown:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lynch (QPR), Hall (QPR), El-Abd (us) & Elphick (Bournemouth/Villa) have all played regularly in the Prem or Championship in recent years too. Centre half certainly seems to be a speciality.
El Abd is certainly doing OK these days - captain of a team in the automatic places, and nominated for League 2 Player of the Month for March (although he didn't get it in the end). Always liked him when he was here (but no, I'm not advocating getting him back!).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The poster used the word 'excellent', I suppiose it depends who you regard as excellent. Yes the players you mentioned were all pretty good, but of course we were playing in lower divisions then.

Certainly I would regard Lewis Dunk and Steve Cook, as a class above the others, both playing regular Premier League football now.

I think that's a very narrow definition of 'excellent' - for most of the last 20 years we've been a Tier 3 team (or lower). To produce three regular PL players (plus two more in Virgo and Hinshelwood who possibly could have played there) and several Championhip players is pretty good to me

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
El Abd is certainly doing OK these days - captain of a team in the automatic places, and nominated for League 2 Player of the Month for March (although he didn't get it in the end). Always liked him when he was here (but no, I'm not advocating getting him back!).

Yes, he's doing great. My stepsons were at the Yeovil fixture last weekend and texted me to say he was playing. Great servant of the Albion. Wish him well for the future.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Glen Rea has played in every Luton Town league match this season; 36 starts and 7 sub appearances for a team sat in 2nd place in League Two, and who could secure promotion this weekend. He has four more league appearances than anyone else in the squad. Deserves a mention.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Although we are pretty well off for centre backs at the moment, very few excellent ones have actually come off our own production line in recent years. Lewis Dunk is tghe only home grown product that l can think of, plus perhaps Tommy Elphick and Steve Cook a good few seasons ago.

Virgo, Hinshlewood, Lynch, Elphick, El-Abd, Dunk, Hall, Cook, other than that barely any. All have played at Championship or above.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Glen Rea has played in every Luton Town league match this season; 36 starts and 7 sub appearances for a team sat in 2nd place in League Two, and who could secure promotion this weekend. He has four more league appearances than anyone else in the squad. Deserves a mention.

Balls he was the lad who I was thinking of. New I had missed him off.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Also worth noting the words of the Newport County manager, Mike Flynn "Definitely the best loan signing we have ever had at this football club."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, anyone know how many awards he got?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looked our best player against St.Gallen, perhaps the answer to our 4th choice CB is already at the club?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Looked our best player against St.Gallen, perhaps the answer to our 4th choice CB is already at the club?

He will not develop any further as 4th choice CB and would just stagnate here in that circumstance. It would serve him better to go out on loan to League 1/Championship, and it has been suggested that there is interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here