Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] BBC TMS loses out to Talksport for Sri Lanka and West Indies tours...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43807117

The BBC has lost the rights to cover England's upcoming cricket tours of Sri Lanka and the West Indies on radio to commercial broadcaster TalkSport.

It is the first time since 2005 that the BBC's Test Match Special has lost the rights to an England overseas tour.

"I know our loyal @bbctms listeners will be very disappointed," wrote commentator Jonathan Agnew on Twitter.

Scott Taunton, CEO of TalkSport owner Wireless Group, said winning the rights was "a great victory" for the station.

"I'm delighted that we will be with England fans for every ball of the day throughout these winter tours," he added.

The free to air rights cover the Tests, one-day internationals (ODIs) and T20s for the tours that start in Sri Lanka in October and the West Indies in early 2019.

Test Match Special will, however, continue to broadcast England's home summer series through to 2024.

A deal agreed last year will also see domestic and international cricket shown live on BBC television from 2020.

Many cricket fans have reacted with dismay to Agnew's retweet of TalkSport's announcement, with one calling it "a national disgrace".

"This is literally the worst thing I have ever read on Twitter," wrote another.

Yet some fans have been more moderate, with one calling on listeners to "give TS [TalkSport] a chance before passing judgement."

In his own post, Aggers, as he's known, stressed the decision was made by the Sri Lankan and West Indies cricket boards and not the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board).

TalkSport's cricket coup follows News Corp's 2016 purchase of its parent company in a £220m deal.

In a statement, the BBC said: "We put forward a competitive bid for these tours but it was unsuccessful on this occasion.

"We're disappointed because we know how much cricket fans value our coverage. We are still the home of cricket on the radio, as we demonstrated during the Ashes last winter.

"This summer, all England's matches will be live on Test Match Special, and we have a long term deal for all England's home internationals through to 2024 as well as rights to the next three Ashes series, both home and away."

The ECB declined to comment on the decision.

:nono:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
In fairness to them, a chance needs to be given. But they've got a massive act to follow.

Nonetheless, TMS is so special to me that I can't help being sad about this.

Actually, I'm surprised at just how upset I am.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Test match cricket in associated with van man jingles- that really is utter shit. Can't wait for the end of every over to be filled with a football song about Screwfix and Selco. Maybe Talksport can strike a deal up with the Barmy Army to get some of those going?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TMS, like Match of the Day, ought to be seen as something too important for the vulgarity of bidding wars IMHO

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thing is, most of the TMS team will join TS for this. That's the way these things work. Remember F1 and the BBC, the full team joined Sky and nothing changed.
I rarely listen to TS as it seems every other minute has a 'latest odds from ....' line.
Aggers, so what's the chances of a chocolate cake today then Blowers, 'Betfair have it at 2/1 with England at 13/6 but you can cash out now........'
Also, where will it go? Is there a TS Extra on digital?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad news indeed. Hope the Beeb can get it back at the first renewal. I won't be listening to Talkshite, it's bad enough having to listen when they have an Albion commentary.. Always some cheerful Oirish man telling you the great odds backed up by the presenter saying how marvellous and fun betting is... I'm out.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So no more LW for overseas tours - all on digital now I suppose :(

I cut my teeth on TMS for the Windies tour of 1988-ish, with the beautiful memorable lilting commentary from some Jamaican commentator in the British evening - "Here comes Patterson to bowl to Larkins, and he's in and he's up and he bowls to Larkins, and there's no run. The score is 25-1, and that's the latest from, Sabina Park"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I cut my teeth on TMS for the Windies tour of 1988-ish, with the beautiful memorable lilting commentary from some Jamaican commentator in the British evening - "Here comes Patterson to bowl to Larkins, and he's in and he's up and he bowls to Larkins, and there's no run. The score is 25-1, and that's the latest from, Sabina Park"
Probably Tony Cozier.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...d-(Bridgetown-Barbados)&highlight=Sabina+Park

Post#35

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Also, where will it go? Is there a TS Extra on digital?

They have TalkSport 2 on digital radio. IPL on at the moment.....Andrew McKenna, Phil Walker and Iain O'Brien commentating.

I guess Goughy will get more involved in the commentary side, but it will be interesting to see who they get. As they are quite tight with Sky I guess some of their commentators could do dual duty.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Does this mean an Ambulance chaser PPI ad between every over?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sad about this but need to give them a chance. They’ll get crucified if they mess it up...........

“So that’s three from the over, as we look out across the beautifying Caribbean Sea from our perch here up in the stand. This week, Jewsons are offering 5 litres of white emulsion for the price of three, get down to your local store........”. **** off.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
How has this been allowed to happen and why? Ridiculous.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Sad about this but need to give them a chance. They’ll get crucified if they mess it up...........

“So that’s three from the over, as we look out across the beautifying Caribbean Sea from our perch here up in the stand. This week, Jewsons are offering 5 litres of white emulsion for the price of three, get down to your local store........”. **** off.

That is so going to happen as well.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Test match cricket in associated with van man jingles- that really is utter shit. Can't wait for the end of every over to be filled with a football song about Screwfix and Selco. Maybe Talksport can strike a deal up with the Barmy Army to get some of those going?

Whatabout Vanaramaand my personal fave Tradepoint?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here