Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
703.png
675.png

Brighton v Tottenham

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Tuesday 17th April 2018
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Mark Scholes
Fourth official: Lee Probert

TEAM NEWS

Brighton midfielder Davy Propper is again absent due to suspension.

The Seagulls are also without long-term injury victims Steve Sidwell and Izzy Brown.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is expected to make changes to his side ahead of Saturday's FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United.

Danny Rose and Harry Winks remain out, but Fernando Llorente is in contention after missing the Manchester City defeat due to personal reasons.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "Generally if we've lost matches it's been by fine margins. We have to make sure that Saturday hasn't set us back. For us it's about being as solid as we can.

"We'll need to play well - we're at home and we know they play with a lot of possession. They've (Tottenham Hotspur) also had an outstanding year."

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino: "After 14 games unbeaten, it was a massive, massive run for us. We played Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Chelsea and 14 games unbeaten I think the players deserve full credit.

"We are disappointed but not frustrated or sad because when we increased our level and showed our real quality we showed we can compete against Manchester City - the best team in England.

"That is why I am not concerned about the future."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton won their last home league match against Spurs, although it was back in April 1983.
    [*=left]Spurs have won each of their last three meetings with Brighton in all competitions.

Brighton

• [*=left]Three of Brighton's four home defeats this season have been against teams in the top six.
    [*=left]Their last five fixtures are all against teams in the top seven.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have conceded in each of their last 12 league games - the longest current run without a clean sheet in the division.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray hasn't scored in his last two home Premier League games - he last went three without a goal at the Amex in the top-flight in his first three appearances there this season.

Tottenham

• [*=left]Tottenham's 14-match unbeaten run in the league came to an end against Manchester City on Saturday.
    [*=left]Spurs have not lost to newly promoted opposition for 34 games, winning the last 16 in a row. Only Chelsea have had a longer unbeaten run against promoted sides in the competition of 63 games between 2001 and 2011.
    [*=left]Since the start of 2014-15, Harry Kane has scored 22 goals in 20 games against newly promoted sides. He's also scored a hat-trick against one of them in each of the previous three seasons (Leicester in 2014-15, Bournemouth in 2015-16 and Hull in 2016-17).
    [*=left]Mauricio Pochettino's side have won 33 points away from home this season (W10 D3 L4), second only to Man City.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Steve Sidwell's on R5 after 8 o'clock this morning.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If we win this we will be 10 points clear in 11th place, that will be a big boost for us. We are at the time of the season when the unexpected is slightly more likely, Lets do this.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Were whine

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino: Talking about the game against City that they lost at home-
"We are disappointed but not frustrated or sad because when we increased our level and showed our real quality we showed we can compete against Manchester City - the best team in England.
"That is why I am not concerned about the future."
Or put another way, it's now a top 1 second 5 and the rest in the PL. He spoke in the same way that we do when losing to the top clubs. We held our own at Spurs, Utd & Arsenal and some of the other games as well. We are a good team capable of mid table mediocrity. We're not due another point this season.

But football is a funny game! Not going to loose tonight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am really looking forward to this evenings game I know that I shall get stick for having the gall to like Tottenham and the way they play the game but let it not be forgotten I will be 100% cheering on Brighton and a win will be wildly celebrated.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

35 years and 2 weeks ago (2 April 1983) Brighton last played a home league fixture against Tottenham. That was the first game that my Dad ever took me and my Spurs supporting brother to.

Tonight Brighton host Tottenham in the league again and to honour that game 35 years ago, I am bringing my Dad with me to the game (unfortunately my brother is in the US so can’t attend with us)

I don’t remember much of that game in 1983, but have viewed the YouTube highlights to jog my memory. It certainly wasn’t a classic but Chris Hughton had a good game for Spurs. However, the ending was a thriller, with 2 red cards and 2 late Brighton goals (Gatting and Ryan) to clinch a 2-1 win. I remember my brother crying all the way home after that.

Here’s to the same result tonight!

https://youtu.be/iUNGsSBrRRc

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going for Kayal FGS today I think (provided he starts).

I can see him lashing one from the edge of the box after some sustained pressure from the wings.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I'm confident we'll get a positive result today. I'm plumping for 1-1.

We just need to start positively.

Starting positively is important but we'll also need to remain positive throughout the game. It's going to take a hell of a performance from the whole team to get anything tonight but I believe we have the ability as long as we don't have one of our nightmare starts.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
By strange coincidence, this wonderful quote from Douglas Adams came up on Twitter just now

[TWEET]986218898428227584[/TWEET]

I can't think of a better motivational quote for this evening than that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here