Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] defending corners....what's the problem...??

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
with supposedly one of the brightest rising stars in LD partnered by Irish , International player of the year SD at the heart of our defence , what the feck is the problem with defending set pieces .....they are both good in the air so why the hell don't one of them attack the incoming ball , work it out between themselves who's going to go for it , and just get the ball away from our goal asap......our record of defending corners and set pieces woefully bad and unfortunately our defending in last three or 4 games ..(since Arsenal) has shown some age old , creaky , panicky signs ......my immediate solution is to give Duffy a rest for a few games and give Goldson a go........he has done nothing wrong when he's been given the chance and seeing as we are nailed on underdogs for our remaining games CH may as well just throw the banjo in the fire ....can we get to the end of the season without picking up any more points...??? it very much looks like it at the moment unless our defending improves ......will we stay up if we don't pick up any more points .......prrrffftt....:shrug:....who knows.:down:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Players not sticking to their man marking or zonal defensive jobs, or switching off completely to allow an opponent acres of space. This probably covers 95% of the problems this season. Why do they do that? That’s the mystery.

You can pick out individuals for errors for goals scored in any given game this season, but almost every player in the team has been guilty of making at least one crucial mistake.

When you have 9 or 10 players defending most set plays, unfortunately it only needs one or two of them to switch off.

I wouldn’t single out Duffy, but I do think that more than any other fringe player Goldson deserves the chance to prove himself and I think he is good enough and wouldn’t let us down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t think the corners conceded yesterday were down to the centre halves, we cleared them well enough, but there was a terrible lack or discipline in closing down the second ball. Duffy seems the scapegoat at the moment, I think it’s undeserved as it’s the closing down in front of him and Dunk that I think is the problem from the second phase balls.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don’t think the corners conceded yesterday were down to the centre halves, we cleared them well enough, but there was a terrible lack or discipline in closing down the second ball. Duffy seems the scapegoat at the moment, I think it’s undeserved as it’s the closing down in front of him and Dunk that I think is the problem from the second phase balls.

How many times do we see Duffy on his arse and the ball in the back of our net? Good defending is about organisation, not last ditch throwing your body at the ball.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As much as yesterday hurts, it's the first goal conceded from a corner, since West Brom in January, so we have improved.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many times do we see Duffy on his arse and the ball in the back of our net? Good defending is about organisation, not last ditch throwing your body at the ball.

Palace tactics yesterday were to try to take Duffy and Dunk out of the equation, a short corner and a very deep one passed the far post led to the goals. All 3 conceded were down to closing down in front of the defence in all honesty, we just didn’t do it quick enough.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Is the fact we have the shortest goalkeeper in the league and the worst record at set pieces a coincidence I ask myself?....Great shot stopper, great distribution, great reflexes...But command his area, he does not.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Palace tactics yesterday were to try to take Duffy and Dunk out of the equation, a short corner and a very deep one passed the far post led to the goals. All 3 conceded were down to closing down in front of the defence in all honesty, we just didn’t do it quick enough.

This 100%. Duffy doesn’t deserve to be the scapegoat.

I also agree with KtR about Ryan.
Great shot stopper, great distribution, great reflexes...But command his area, he does not.

Jul 7, 2003
Same discussion every time we concede from a corner. We are not the only team who concede from corners and have got better. Defending corners is not just the responsibility of the keeper and centre backs as some people seem to think. If it was, we would leave the other eight players upfield so that we could quickly break and score everytime the opposition get a corner.

First of all you need to track your attackers and we have failed to do that too often this season. Secondly, we don't have that many players who are good at defensive headers / challenges. Outside of the centre backs, probably only Murray and Hemed are decent at defending corners. As a defender, if you can't win the ball, then you have to stop the opponent getting a clean header on the ball. Instead of making a challenge, too many players these days seem intent on trying to cuddle their man to the ground rather than track and challenge.

Maybe this is the one area where we miss Calderwood in the coaching department.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here