Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL not to use VAR next season.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Clubs have voted not to use VAR next season. Anyone surprised? Not me. Potentially a very useful system, but executed horrendously.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Good news. Much prefer to wildly celebrate a goal than start to celebrate then realise we have to wait 5 minutes for some boss-eyed cock womble to adjudicate ... (then get it wrong).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not a surprise in the slightest - I knew this was their position.

Premier League were ambivalent about VAR in the first place. They haven't been convinced by the arguments, and are not in support of the intended use in the World Cup this year. Additionally, with regards to stadium communication for the decisions (not a priority in my opinion), they point out not every stadium has a big screen. Old Trafford, for one.

Further issues still to overcome.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Obviously they won't go for it. It would not allow them their continued bias towards the top clubs.

VAR needs to be introduced eventually - if the "smaller" clubs are to get a fair chance of finishing in the top six. The big guns will then see their penalties reduced significantly.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
VAR needs to be introduced eventually - if the "smaller" clubs are to get a fair chance of finishing in the top six. The big guns will then see their penalties reduced significantly.

Well, precisely. The more technology used, the better decision-making will become and that will benefit smaller clubs, who suffer the most from suspect decisions.
That said, the implementation of VAR over the last four months can hardly be considered a success. It will be interesting to see if many of its problems get ironed out for the World Cup.
There is a different view, however, that would rather hype up and moan about officials' decisions, and keep things the way they are.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great news, sensible decision. UEFA had already voted against introducing it in next seasons Champions League. The world will see what a clusterfvck it currently is this summer.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As seen already there are lengthy delays and the full amount if time is not added to the end of the half.
Sensible decision

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not a surprise in the slightest - I knew this was their position.

Premier League were ambivalent about VAR in the first place. They haven't been convinced by the arguments, and are not in support of the intended use in the World Cup this year. Additionally, with regards to stadium communication for the decisions (not a priority in my opinion), they point out not every stadium has a big screen. Old Trafford, for one.

Further issues still to overcome.

Do you work for the FA or PL?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a stupid decision made at the wrong time., They would have done better to see how successful it was in the World Cup before making a decision and then ironing out any faults the first of which is make the VAR decision final. The on field ref to ask " any reason not to allow the goal" VAR says No or yes player was offside etc. The on field ref act accordingly without looking at the monitor/

It is inevitable that it will be brought in again some day but do it properly this time.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
They should try it in the Championship next season.
Especially in East Anglia, where they call it VA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR:cool:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What a stupid decision made at the wrong time., They would have done better to see how successful it was in the World Cup before making a decision and then ironing out any faults the first of which is make the VAR decision final. The on field ref to ask " any reason not to allow the goal" VAR says No or yes player was offside etc. The on field ref act accordingly without looking at the monitor/

It is inevitable that it will be brought in again some day but do it properly this time.

Once again, you've completely misunderstood what's going on.

The Premier League are happy to see it trialed and tested, and await the ongoing results. I am sure they - and every other league - will get further information on its effectiveness after the World Cup. But it doesn't follow that thie particular tournament will iron out all the faults. Their decision not to use it isn't an irreversible one.

If FIFA consider it a success in the World Cup could they make it mandatory for all matches in the top divisions of each country and European competitions.?

Nope.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great news

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Once again, you've completely misunderstood what's going on.

The Premier League are happy to see it trialed and tested, and await the ongoing results. I am sure they - and every other league - will get further information on its effectiveness after the World Cup. But it doesn't follow that thie particular tournament will iron out all the faults. Their decision not to use it isn't an irreversible one.

Nope.

Two points

1 I believe that now is the wrong time to make any decision other than to further investigate the faults before making a final decision on its use next season. The biggest being the actual decision making I believe that should be left entirely to the VAR,
2. FIFA being the governing body can make whatever decision they deem to be in the interest of the game so I think they could insist that its use is continued in whatever matches they decide.

I must admit to taking the statement about them voting against its use next season at face value without reading the in depth report.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1 I believe that now is the wrong time to make any decision other than to further investigate the faults before making a final decision on its use next season. The biggest being the actual decision making I believe that should be left entirely to the VAR,

In terms of implementing VAR, this is a decision not to make a decision. They will re-visit it when they have far more evidence than one World Cup tournament could ever provide.

2. FIFA being the governing body can make whatever decision they deem to be in the interest of the game so I think they could insist that its use is continued in whatever matches they decide.

Not in this instance, unless VAR is brought in universally at ALL levels of the game. They can't compel one country's football authority to bring it in without making it a global decision. And even then, it comes in from a recommendation from IFAB.

I must admit to taking the statement about them voting against its use next season at face value without reading the in depth report.

Plus ça change.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a stupid decision made at the wrong time., They would have done better to see how successful it was in the World Cup before making a decision and then ironing out any faults the first of which is make the VAR decision final..

Just for clarification, your suggestion is that they wait until after the World Cup concludes, on 15.07.18, fully debrief that, 'iron out' any faults, then source and install all the required equipment, train all the required personnel (both for the infrastructure, the technology and the actual officials) before the 2018/19 PL season kicks off on 10.08.18?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One would assume that the required equipment is already in stalled at all grounds as every club is geared fort TV coverage and video of the games. The training of staff is a matter of a 2 day course maximum as they are all qualified refs. Any refs nearing retirement age and unable to perform the duties through their physical condition could easily be trained to operate the VAR in addition to those not allocated a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here