Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] ANOTHER Parking Advice Thread

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

Came back to my car to find a ticket for parking in a disabled bay on my windscreen, much to my chagrin. This was the bay at the top of the Burgess Hill High Street, and is not marked on the road. There is one little sign at the bottom end of the bay denoting it as disabled.

My thinking is that as there is only a sign and no road markings indicating it's disabled only, this space doesn't meet the gov't guidelines and therefore the ticket should be appealable?

Pic below for reference, any advice would be appreicated.

Parking.png

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Not sure. The road markings aren't very clear though - looks for all the world like a regular parking bay. Worth a polite appeal though. The local authority are more likely to treat an appeal fairly and on its merits than the private firms, who just deny appeals as a matter of course.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Looks like the entire bay is for disabled badge holders in stated Time, no chance

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hi everyone,

Came back to my car to find a ticket for parking in a disabled bay on my windscreen, much to my chagrin. This was the bay at the top of the Burgess Hill High Street, and is not marked on the road. There is one little sign at the bottom end of the bay denoting it as disabled.

My thinking is that as there is only a sign and no road markings indicating it's disabled only, this space doesn't meet the gov't guidelines and therefore the ticket should be appealable?

Pic below for reference, any advice would be appreicated.

View attachment 96003

I am not sure since it is not a Disabled Bay 24 hours a day, just within the specified times.

Needs an expert

View attachment 96004

It is totally clear. There's one single sign next to the bay of spaces, so it has to be assumed that the restriction apply to all of the spaces.

Bang to rights, I'd say, but no harm in appealing it - good luck.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As per the pictures I believe that anybody who parks behind the back car of the two ie nearer the corner should have their penalty doubled as it is inconsiderate to all other motorists and causes immense jams and congestion to large vehicles like buses turning into the road. Not sure whether that app[lies to the OP or if his was the 2nd car.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
Was at the back of the bay as you look at it in the picture, which is why I didn't clock the sign in the first place.

A bit of digging has revealed that The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 dictates that disabled bays do not need to be marked as such in the road.

Seems like a nice moneyspinner for the council, the whole road is free parking apart from that section and I bet I'm not the first person they've caught out!

boik

Was at the back of the bay as you look at it in the picture, which is why I didn't clock the sign in the first place.

A bit of digging has revealed that The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 dictates that disabled bays do not need to be marked as such in the road.

Seems like a nice moneyspinner for the council, the whole road is free parking apart from that section and I bet I'm not the first person they've caught out!

You might have a different view if you, or one of your family, were disabled.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
This has caught a few people out and because there was only one small sign someone had some larger ones made and fixed them to the wall at this site, but looking at your picture it looks like they have been removed.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Hope you didn't read all of this! They have actually been superseded by a 2016 version, which is around 550 pages long if you're really interested....

My neighbour went shopping at a supermarket which had changed hand (co-op to Lidl). Unbeknownst to her, not only had the supermarket changed but also the car park rules. Every bay was now a 10 minutes loading bay and a week later a PCN dropped through her letterbox.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That isnt so the road is clearly signposted No Parking disabled only and is regularly patrolled. I accept that many people ignore this and take a chance to 'nip' in the bank etc.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
As per the pictures I believe that anybody who parks behind the back car of the two ie nearer the corner should have their penalty doubled as it is inconsiderate to all other motorists and causes immense jams and congestion to large vehicles like buses turning into the road. Not sure whether that app[lies to the OP or if his was the 2nd car.

It’s a google street view image, not the OP’s.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I parked in this bay earlier on this week to pop into the bank and only realised it was a disabled bay on my return. I don't park in town regularly but last time I did I'm certain it was a general parking bay

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here