Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Sicily

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Anyone from NSC been? I was thinking of going with the wife for about 10 days in late September. I normally try to avoid the euro, but the prospect of relatively short flights does appeal. Is Sicily a complete rip off financially?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you go look up a boat trip to the volcanic islands from Messina you can have a sulphur bath.
Watch out for the beggars in Messina.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't you wait until next seasons fixtures are released, then ask?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone from NSC been? I was thinking of going with the wife for about 10 days in late September. I normally try to avoid the euro, but the prospect of relatively short flights does appeal. Is Sicily a complete rip off financially?

Sicily is a wonderful place to visit, it's a totally different kind of Italian experience, go for it.
Please PM me if you want more info :thumbsup:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really good place, its not all pretty and you can see there's been a lot of corruption there. However, amazing mix of nature and culture

Late Sept also is the perfect time and the sea will be like a warm bath!!

Its unique, they are Sicilians first, Italians second. One warning, Taormina is an overrated tourist trap

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Went there about 12 years ago, also in September.

We stayed in a hotel near Taormina, massive place.

We loved the place. The trips we did and can recommend them all are:

1. Trip to see the volcano - amazing place - not often you can get up close to an active volcano - fascinating
2. A taste of Sicilian food and wine - it consisted of visits to local wineries and olive oil producers to try their wares, plus a Sicilian Meze at lunchtime with local wine.
3. Boat trip to Volcano and Lipari - where you can have a volcanic mud bath - one word of caution - try to not get any of the mud in your mouth - it does 'stuff' to your digestion you don't want.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
3. Boat trip to Volcano and Lipari - where you can have a volcanic mud bath - one word of caution - try to not get any of the mud in your mouth - it does 'stuff' to your digestion you don't want.

Thanks! When we visit we’ll remember not to eat warm volcanic mud that others have been sitting in. :smile:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Went there about 12 years ago, also in September.

We stayed in a hotel near Taormina, massive place.

We loved the place. The trips we did and can recommend them all are:

1. Trip to see the volcano - amazing place - not often you can get up close to an active volcano - fascinating
2. A taste of Sicilian food and wine - it consisted of visits to local wineries and olive oil producers to try their wares, plus a Sicilian Meze at lunchtime with local wine.

We stayed in the hotel Ipanema, just round the corner from the cable car.
Really quiet place, apart from the scooters!
Did a lot of the wilder side of Sicily, stayed away from the tourist traps.
Etna was worth a visit, as well as doing the Godfather tour.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We stayed in the hotel Ipanema, just round the corner from the cable car.
Really quiet place, apart from the scooters!
Did a lot of the wilder side of Sicily, stayed away from the tourist traps.
Etna was worth a visit, as well as doing the Godfather tour.

We didn't do the Cosa Nostra stuff - we were only there for a week.

They also did a trip to Syracuse, but once again we were short of time.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Wonderful place. Had a villa late September a few years back. Hired a car got around the island. Some fantastic local butchers if you enjoy meat, some stunning lakes. Ancient theatres and beach trails. Didn’t find it to expensive either

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We didn't do the Cosa Nostra stuff - we were only there for a week.

They also did a trip to Syracuse, but once again we were short of time.

We might go back again :)
Last time we went was the year Jacko passed away!!
Didn't see that many oranges about :wink:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I went to a Catania for a weekend last autumn. It's a great city with plenty of sights and fantastic bars and restaurants. Definitely not expensive.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Been to a couple of places on Sicily the places we visited were a bit run down And most of the locals did not appear well off, but that apart it's nice lots of history churches markets mountains did not feel unsafe but the place does have a slightly edgy feel which to be honest might be just me walking around with the godfather therm tune playing in my head!
It's well worth a visit in lots of ways it's as I imagine mainland Italy was 30 or 40 years ago

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
When I worked in motorsport, I did two races at Enna Pergusa. The advice I was given was avoid at all costs the seafood cocktails that were starters in restaurants. I did on both trips but one mechanic didn't and literally spent the entire 4 days in the toilet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Make sure you try the wonderful cakes from the small baker's shops.
They are absolutely delicious if you've got a sweet tooth!

And there's a brilliant clock tower in the centre of Messina. Get there for midday though, it's quite the spectacle.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I opened this thread fully expecting it to be about bars in Sicily showing the Palace game. Frankly disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here